Sign in to follow this  
Minipops

New Maps

I dunno about you all but i am bored with the current maps. Every server just has the same maps which have the same tactics and strategies again and again. Where is the user created content? 

Posted (edited)

Squad atm has 14 maps, with plenty of versions of each map. It's just that the servers dont make use of them all which sucks. Hopefully with the randomisation for layers it will be much better in the future..

Edited by Guan_Yu007

lots of variations since A11.1

i play every day and have seen a few layers which i have never seen before appear in rotation.

talk to you local server admin

Squad has 14 maps(15 in you include Jensens) and 80 layers(82 with Jensens) between them all. That's a lot of maps for a base game with no DLCs or expansions, and that's a bit of variation.

The issue is, certain maps and layers aren't liked, as well as certain game modes aren't liked, for various reasons - which results in a portion of the 80 layers or 14 maps used. It's up to the community running the server to take a risk with new layers and game modes. But it's up to what they like and what the players, playing the game like as well. 

As suds said, have a chat with your favorite servers admins and see if they'd be willing to change things up a little.

Maybe think about joining Discord and get involved with making a map you like.  It is fun and you learn lots of cool stuff.  Visit the Modding section where you can get started and see what others are working on too.  You can even see some of my projects currently I'm getting back to.  What kind of maps you interested in ?

Interesting responses.

However, wouldn't this be all the more reason for the company that took all the time and energy to create these supposedly "unliked" layers and showcase them all on their own official servers instead of relying on the heavily biased opinions of private individuals?

I mean did anyone ever consider for a moment the fact that this lack of variation of layers and gamemodes might just be one of the main casual factors of the playership being so low?

So essentially what we're saying here is over the course of the last 2 1/2 years not only has the average new players experience been often times guided by unprofessional administration such as clan stacking and cronyism but it's also been a shallow affair in which private individuals run map rotations based on their "gut" instincts?

17 hours ago, Zylfrax791 said:

So essentially what we're saying here is over the course of the last 2 1/2 years not only has the average new players experience been often times guided by unprofessional administration such as clan stacking and cronyism but it's also been a shallow affair in which private individuals run map rotations based on their "gut" instincts?

I think the idea of official servers could be looked at down the road, however its not an easy endeavour, talking with communties, its really a full time commitment of running a server, its not as simple like other games as providing a server box to run, its about supporting and administrating a community, to foster good teamwork, to remove trouble makers, and to generally encourage players to use teamwork and manners to foster the kind of community you want to see.

OWI does not have 100's of employees to run a large server network with admin coverage 24/7.... perhaps at some point some official servers will become practical (when more game systems are in place to help facilitate good gameplay, and the games development is no longer in constant flux), for now it does unfortunately rely on players seeking out those communities that foster good gameplay. Now you can focus on the server communities that dont do a very good job, but I think there are alot of examples of excellent community stewardship in Squad, and we want to contiunue to promote and grow these communities, and I don't think we can do this alone - it takes a large community wide effort to raise the level of play, combined with intelligent game design.

As for map rotation, yeah this will partially be address by random AAS, and we also need to do a better job at promoting alternate layers.

We will be shifting focus to the other game modes once random AAS has been implemented, which should increase their profile as well as fun factor / depth/ replayability dramatically.

Anyone else find it strange that so much effort is being put into this new so-called "random" AAS, when the 3 other already existing game modes could be worked on and fixed?

Maybe I'm just weird, but it makes more sense to me to work on what's already in the game and get it to a (near) finished state, instead of half-assing new game modes.

1 hour ago, Verdin said:

Maybe I'm just weird, but it makes more sense to me to work on what's already in the game and get it to a (near) finished state, instead of half-assing new game modes.

Nah because it's still in the alpha stage, getting the features in (within a reasonable margin of "playable" or "functional") is the primary goal. Betas are used for fine tuning things like game modes, assets/balance etc. Because of the early-access phenomenon though, while we're all just technically alpha testers, we're also paying customers so the devs are hamstrung into making it fun/playable while at the same time working on new content. 

If they're planning to have the random AAS, it makes sense to get it in ASAP and start getting feedback on it so that it can be iteratively improved over the rest of the alpha and beta stages. 

I don't want to hotlink their image, so please check the first image on this page:

http://walkingmind.evilhat.com/2015/08/12/getting-agile/

8 hours ago, Psyrus said:

Nah because it's still in the alpha stage, getting the features in (within a reasonable margin of "playable" or "functional") is the primary goal. Betas are used for fine tuning things like game modes, assets/balance etc. Because of the early-access phenomenon though, while we're all just technically alpha testers, we're also paying customers so the devs are hamstrung into making it fun/playable while at the same time working on new content. 

If they're planning to have the random AAS, it makes sense to get it in ASAP and start getting feedback on it so that it can be iteratively improved over the rest of the alpha and beta stages. 

I don't want to hotlink their image, so please check the first image on this page:

http://walkingmind.evilhat.com/2015/08/12/getting-agile/

So if the developers  are hamstrung into making it fun/playable, what kind of sense does it really make to rehash AAS into a "random" game mode (that I'd guesstimate will still be linear and more static in nature of gameplay) when developers could deliver the Territory Control mode that they hyped back in Sept 2017, or even fixing one/both of the more dynamic modes that are already in the game?

There's already an AAS mode in the game...so why not provide some variety and implement Territory Control ASAP, and start getting feedback so it can be improved?

This is the kind of stuff I find strange, even with an "agile" type development.  The more OWI keeps throwing into the game now, the more they're going to have to actually fix later on.  Isn't SQUAD supposed to finally reach release by the end of 2018?  6 months or so can fly by rather quickly when throwing stuff against the wall, just to see what sticks...and still needing to get existing features, content and mechanics into a release state.

For clarification, I'm not against this random AAS...but I'm skeptical on it actually having a huge impact on replayability.  However, if this new AAS mode is going to implement the "Static Randomizer  -  for randomizing buildings and other static meshes when starting a new map, greatly increasing round variety and encouraging players to adapt to the always changing tactical situation." then it could indeed offer the much needed more dynamic gameplay.

7 hours ago, Verdin said:

Isn't SQUAD supposed to finally reach release by the end of 2018? 

I think we all know that's not gonna happen  ^_^

As for the rest of the questions in your post, they're legit questions but they all boil down to "because that's how the devs have decided to do it this time" so there's not any point in me trying to justify things. 

We can just sit back and enjoy the ride

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Psyrus said:

I think we all know that's not gonna happen  ^_^

Wow...

Edited by Verdin

On 6/6/2018 at 12:56 AM, fuzzhead said:

its about supporting and administrating a community, to foster good teamwork, to remove trouble makers, and to generally encourage players to use teamwork and manners to foster the kind of community you want to see.

Fuzz let's pause on this for a moment. I really think you should look into the formal complaints filed here on the forums on SOME server owners/admin abusers and the blatant inaction by the moderators to do anything about it. I'm talking about people who broke OWI's very own server admin guidelines ( http://forums.joinsquad.com/topic/7849-game-server-administration-guidelines/ ) multiple times and got a carte blanche because they're buddy buddy with the devs....talk about a double standard....

Also, about randomized AAS I believe if it's done right and all the bugs are fixed it will quickly become a community favorite. Cannot wait! 

SOME server owners/admin abusers and the blatant inaction by the moderators to do anything about it.

Well that is news to me, not sure if this is still an on-going thing... I'm not part of the administration side of things for licensing.

There may have been problems in the past (like I said I dont know, I wasnt there), but I think moving forward there should be accountability for server license holders.

My main point is, lets focus on the excellent examples of community run servers, which there is many examples.

I think the idea was in the past (and still present I believe), is that let the playerbase decide which is, or isnt, a good community server.

But I agree that the licensing system needs teeth in order to remove any blatantly bad servers, and as I have no experience in that realm,  I wont comment any further, but I'd like to emphasis that I've seen ALOT of good communties here, and want to continue to see that grow (as it has been!)

8 hours ago, fuzzhead said:

I think the idea was in the past (and still present I believe), is that let the playerbase decide which is, or isnt, a good community server.

That's the whole point. Over the last 2.5 years the playerbase has overwhelming spoken by simply not playing the game past a few hours. Player retention has been a complete failure.

Before the plug got pulled on SteamSpy in May it showed close to 3/4 million unique keys. Yet besides the peaks associated with version releases average daily player numbers stay between 2-3 thousand with literally hundreds of empty servers.

First impressions are important. Everyone knows that. That's why it's always boggled my mind that Squad hasn't ever had a legitimate corporate front end where new players can have an unbiased and balanced gameplay experience untainted by clan cronyism, pro-stacking and blatant admin abuse.

The numbers themselves don't lie. Squad playership is slowly dwindling and there is zero average player growth across the entire timeline.

Most of Squad's playerbase is also above 16 years old afaik. Which means in many cases that they are often too busy irl to be able to play Squad. Especially around this time of the year with exams and stuff. Or people have jobs and other irl stuff that simply comes first. This is basically due to the average playersbase in squad being older than in some other games, since the gameplay suits them more.

When V11 released the playercount jumped up, but is now a bit lower partially because of the reasons i stated above.

Also it's far from a complete game, many core features are simply not in yet, so people play the latest update for a bit and wait for the next one to come out.

About the player base....

Guys. This game needs a very beefy pc in order to run semi properly. People buy the game, like it, but then run away when they notice you need more than 17 fps to play decently.

The player base will never be very big with this level of performance.

Back to maps....what really is the best map everyone loves the most and why?  And what is the map everyone craves the most but don't got yet?

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, XRobinson said:

Back to maps....what really is the best map everyone loves the most and why?  And what is the map everyone craves the most but don't got yet?

Adding to this....is there map stats anywhere that devs have to tell them the most played maps, at what time of day, ect..ect ?

Edited by XRobinson

On 5/31/2018 at 11:04 PM, Minipops said:

I dunno about you all but i am bored with the current maps. Every server just has the same maps which have the same tactics and strategies again and again. Where is the user created content? 

Running a server is very difficult, costly (More than $1 per slot), and time consuming for this game. I greatly appreciate everyone that volunteers their resources to maintaining a server. User created maps are found in the custom server browser tabs, many maps have been ported over such as Strike at Karkand from battlefield.

On 6/9/2018 at 2:35 PM, Minipops said:

you mean the 3 unpopulated servers in the custom list?

If you want to run a server nobody is interested in for 80+ dollars a month go for it. The custom maps exist and so do custom servers.