Sign in to follow this  
socomseal

Is there any news on Direct X 12 or Vulkan support?

Hey all, 

I did some searching on the Squad forums and steam forums and it looks like the last mention of Direct X 12 or Vulkan support was over a year ago. I was just curious if we are any closer to support for one of the renderers. I have an AMD video card which works better on either, and I would love to have performance increases from either renderer. 

I did see you could activate DX12 mode via a starup command on squad and I had a play around with it on the range. It was definitely buggy and not usable during normal play, but when it was working properly, I seemed to have higher FPS. 

Posted (edited)

Please refer to this thread for more information

In summary, it's largely contingent on UE4's DX implementation, but Squad has now stopped updating their core UE4 versions (last we heard, I think it was 4.16 where they stopped pulling all changes from the master repo), so it's unlikely to change. 

Edited by Psyrus

6 hours ago, Psyrus said:

In summary, it's largely contingent on UE4's DX implementation, but Squad has now stopped updating their core UE4 versions (last we heard, I think it was 4.16 where they stopped pulling all changes from the master repo), so it's unlikely to change. 

They said that they will most likely update the engine again to the current ?4.19? version or newer, because epic optimized the hell out of UE for 100/100+ players because of Fortnite. But then again I do not know if that would change the stance on DX 12 or Vulcan.

1 hour ago, koschilein said:

They said that they will most likely update the engine again to the current ?4.19? version or newer, because epic optimized the hell out of UE for 100/100+ players because of Fortnite. But then again I do not know if that would change the stance on DX 12 or Vulcan.

Oh awesome! That's great news :D

9 hours ago, koschilein said:

Checking the UE4 roadmap, it looks like Vulkan support is still in the "future release" stage, though it may be implemented up to shader 4.0 according to some places. We're keeping an eye on engine updates, but that is a pretty large undertaking -- part of the reason a9 took so long. All dat Fortnite money is making some killer improvements to Unreal for sure.