Sign in to follow this  
embecmom

Post Scriptum rally trucks vs SL rallies & commander role

Posted (edited)

I have been quite vocal in my criticism of the current rally mechanism in squad and whilst I still think it needs to be limited or tweaked, playing PS with its rally trucks makes me appreciate the rallies more.    I know PS has only been the first test weekend and lots needs sorted (but it is great!).. the rally trucks for me are not one of the highlights.  

Feedback I read on the forums is that the SL feels a little useless and no one wants to follow them because they can just spawn where they like, so the attachment and need of the SL is diminished in PS (also due to a logistics squad being the only one that can drive the logis which is equally as painful).    One of the major problems is  people just using them for transport or driving off in them when there is a need to rally or in fact just leaving them at the last flag.     

Secondly commander role... PS has taken this route and tbh I think its not the name for it.. I think this should be off map fire support if it were implemented in a similar way in Squad.  Given intel is extremely limited and generally not many of the squads are going to listen to a commander, what they really wanted was off map arty and bombing, this strategic role makes it very interesting if lonely, but I think commander is taking it a step to far... in giving (ill call it guidance) to squads, there is no real power in the commander role if you are ignored, my first thought is to lock vehicles etc from squads who dont follow orders or limit supplies etc in some way ... (i know this wont be popular) but really no point in calling it a commander role if all you are doing is launching air and arty.

this is just feedback for Squad as I know there are some discussions around both commander and rallies / truck spawns.

Edited by embecmom

I liked the Spawn Truck idea, and I also like the rally point system.  Spawn trucks keep the whole team together, and you work as a team. In squad with rallies you work together as a Squad :D . The one thing that I dislike about the spawn trucks, that if one person is dump and places it at a bad and/or exposed position, it really can hurt the whole team. But if people know what are they doing, MSPs work great. I would be happy to see a gamemode or layer in Squad, where there are no rallies, only MSPs. 

Its interesting concept but needs better implementation,  there should be some limitation on who or how many can spawn on it, or each squad can take their own spawn trucks vs SL placing a rally,  your squad has a spawn truck attached then no rallies can be placed until its destroyed so if you leave it miles away tough luck. .  so many times other SLs would move it because they thought of a better position rightly or wrongly.   

Posted (edited)

Spawn truck is in essence a mobile HAB anyway, the only difference is that you can no longer put it inside a building and build super FOB around it like what you do in Squad that is really annoying. Not that there is any mansion in PS right now.

IMO, Squad distinguishes itself from BF4, COD and even ARMAs in that it focuses on squad-level cooperation led by SLs. By contrast, in BF4, the best cooperation you can get is by playing with a few friends on the same server, and you can simply play solo and still have a blast due to the way BF4 spawning, objectives and map design work. But in Squad you can often have actual teamwork even in a squad full of strangers, and it actually requires soliders of different roles to perform their function properly.  

Furthermore, I should point out that infantry engagement distance and firearm effectiveness also play a signficant role in making Squad and BF4 completely different. For example, in BF4 you can absolutely go run&gun style as long as you are a human aimbot, and anyone attempting to hold a chockpoint would be taken out easily due to all the grenade/RPG/C4 spams, the long time-to-kill and the unrealistic performance of guns. In Squad, doing so would get you killed without knowing how, and concealment, fire support and flanking are far more important. However, in PS, due to the lack of optics and automatic rifles, engagement is less effective over long range, so individual aimbot capability is a more decisive factor

Edited by Noobgamer

45 minutes ago, Noobgamer said:

Spawn truck is in essence a mobile HAB anyway, the only difference is that you can no longer put it inside a building and build super FOB around it like what you do in Squad that is really annoying. Not that there is any mansion in PS right now.

actually i'd say the only, and fundamental difference, is that it is mobile, period.

have they put some control measure on it to stop peeps driving inside buildings?

3 hours ago, LaughingJack said:

actually i'd say the only, and fundamental difference, is that it is mobile, period.

have they put some control measure on it to stop peeps driving inside buildings?

As far as the current map design is considered, if a building has a hole large enough to drive the truck in, then it can not be properly defended.