Running Squad at 3840x1600 ultrawide causes strange GPU usage anomalies on certain maps. The best example is Kohat Toi - FPS drops happen regardless of player count and the game's debug overlay suggests high frametime caused by GPU - BUT - MSI Afterburner tells me GPU isn't even hitting it's max usage...

https://imgur.com/a/Unjp7xd

https://imgur.com/a/Rg7yPZY

Please see attached screenshots. You can see the GPU usage isn't at max, but the framerate is lower than refresh rate of monitor (60hz), which would make sense if the CPU or network was struggling etc etc, but the debug overlay clearly says the problem is coming from the GPU. I am really confused about this, and I've never seen this before in a game.

I am fully aware that I'm running a crazy-high resolution and would expect to see FPS drops because of this, but the data I'm sharing here actually suggests that my GPU has plenty of headroom left, and yet something is stopping it from using that left-over power. And it doesn't seem to be the CPU! :S

specs:

6700K - 4.5ghz

MSI 1080ti - not OC'd

Samsung PRO EVO SSD

ASUS Hero VIII

H100 watercooler.

Acer 38" XR382CQK

Windows 8.1 64-bit

Also, to be clear, I have:

Installed latest GPU drivers properly through DDU

Deleted all traces of Squad install and reinstalled

Cleared cache several times before and after reinstall

Power settings are set to 'high'

Ensured paging file is set to 'automatic'

My only guesses are running out of vram now and again or gpu transfer bandwidth?

On 27/05/2018 at 12:47 AM, SHO-SHIN said:

My only guesses are running out of vram now and again or gpu transfer bandwidth?

Huge amounts of VRAM left on the 1080ti. GPU is installed in PCIe 16x 3.0 port, so transfer bandwidth shouldn't be an issue here, and I don't think there's anything I could possibly do to improve that if I already have the very latest hardware with OCs etc.

Hoping this is something that will be fixed once further optimisations are made on the few troublesome maps, possibly?

On 5/29/2018 at 3:40 PM, 00chapmano said:

Huge amounts of VRAM left on the 1080ti.

ok fair enough.

Just to note I use around 9-10GB vram often running 2560x1440p at 1.25 resolution scale with tournament settings. This is on the MSI gaming X 1080ti.

This is on a 32 inch screen.

On 5/29/2018 at 3:40 PM, 00chapmano said:

Hoping this is something that will be fixed once further optimisations are made on the few troublesome maps, possibly?

Yes could be for sure, different maps do different things.

Ah, we have the exact same GPU then!

I found that running the render resolution at 90% scale seemed to allow enough additional headroom to 'smooth over' the few maps that are giving me issues, for the most part, while retaining the sharpness of the UI. So it just requires a bit more brute force for those maps, but it is a shame since all the other maps work perfectly at full 1:1 resolution.

Either way, it's great to see such nice CPU optimisation in Squad compared to the way things were a couple years back. I'd trade a CPU bottleneck for GPU any day! Well done devs!

8 hours ago, 00chapmano said:

I found that running the render resolution at 90% scale seemed to allow enough additional headroom to 'smooth over' the few maps

Yes, I still think it's todo with data transfer from GPU, i.e bandwidth and this kinda support's that theory (I think). Even though we have top tier cards, we are really pushing them!

You are running proberbly into the  powerlimit of the 1080Ti in 4K.

It would help if you can log during this tests:

• Powerusage
  • Temperature
  • Voltage
  • Core Clock

Otherwise just raise PW limit to 120% in Afterburner and look if this helps.

Most Pascal based GFX have a good chunck of undervolting potential via curve function in Afterbuirner.

i can run my 1080 (WCed )@ 2Ghz with 1V with orginal power consumption or 1860Mhz with 0,85 V and around 140W peak power consumption .

That way you card runs cooler, less noise on Aircooling and wont run into Powerlimit issues.