H4ilToTheKing

Vehicles Constantly Getting Stuck

Vehicles definitely need to be polished a bit, but I don't really see an issue with you getting stuck in that position. Not to be that guy, but you did drive over a massive log :P  

I think part of the issue is finding that balance between realism and fun as many players drive around quite "unrealistically" (i.e. you wouldn't drive a MTVR/HEMTT/etc around in a dense wooded area) and get stuck. Many other games are much more forgiving and its hard to transition to squad with an "unrealistic" driving style. Personally, I would like to see it become a bit more forgiving as it ends up being a headache more often than not.  

It seems that for whatever reason the wheels follow some bizarre rules in UE4, if there's an object between the vehicle and the ground at all the wheels sometimes clock out.

The truck may not be touching the log in your view but that does not mean it's collision box is not touching the log - if we had per-polygon collision it might be a different story.

In the vid, both the downhill wheels seem to be off the ground and to be hanging down on the suspension - you are effectively hung-up on the log.

what do you mean by "frame"?

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, H4ilToTheKing said:

You clearly didn't watch the video.  I did NOT get stuck on the log.  NO PART OF THE LOG is touching the truck.

I did watch the video. While the log "appears" to not be exactly touching, that's clearly what is happening there (think like a seesaw).

EDIT: LaughingJack hit the nail on the head, the collision boxes are likly touching. As I mentioned, it can definitely use some work, but in the meantime, not driving over really rough terrain is kind of our best bet.

Edited by IronComatose

I find that the vehicles are only slightly harder to flip, while much harder to flip back over lately. Not the best combo. 

24 minutes ago, LugNut said:

I find that the vehicles are only slightly harder to flip, while much harder to flip back over lately. Not the best combo. 

Yeah. I think they need to feel a little more "weighted" overall. Their center of gravity or something feels off at times, especially the logi.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, LaughingJack said:

The truck may not be touching the log in your view but that does not mean it's collision box is not touching the log - if we had per-polygon collision it might be a different story.

In the vid, both the downhill wheels seem to be off the ground and to be hanging down on the suspension - you are effectively hung-up on the log.

Obviously, didn't you read my post?  Clearly not because my very first statement I said, 

11 hours ago, H4ilToTheKing said:

Found your issue, you don't know how to "frame" objects/vehicles/the map

8 hours ago, LaughingJack said:

Everything in the game has a "wire frame" that you stick your skin on.  Coding 101?

2ndly, only ONE TIRE is off the ground with at least 3 touching.  Bad "wire frame" coding.

Edited by H4ilToTheKing

18 hours ago, H4ilToTheKing said:

Obviously, didn't you read my post?  Clearly not because my very first statement I said,  < yeah i did. twice - to decipher it. I was just trying to point out your mistake in perception of the issue.

" Found your issue, you don't know how to "frame" objects/vehicles/the map "

Everything in the game has a "wire frame" that you stick your skin on.  Coding 101? < you call this Framing? A wireframe 'Mesh' has Textures 'Mapped' to it and Collision Volumes attached to it - is not Coding, at least not at the SDK-level for most users.

2ndly, only ONE TIRE is off the ground with at least 3 touching.  Bad "wire frame" coding. < actually i said "seems" to be off the ground. still means your hung-up tho. and it's not the Devs coding it's the UE4's Physics. If we had Per-Poly Collision (good but expensive) you'd still be stuck on the log.

Ok. We're just trying to help out. If the answers are not to your liking then i'm sorry.

20 hours ago, H4ilToTheKing said:

Everything in the game has a "wire frame" that you stick your skin on.  Coding 101?

2ndly, only ONE TIRE is off the ground with at least 3 touching.  Bad "wire frame" coding.

That's not quite how it works. Now, my knowledge of this is mostly based from an artists perspective but here it goes. You've got geometry which is the wireframe you're talking about, that is the visual mesh that has the material applied.

The collision mesh is a simplified invisible version of the geometry used to interact with other collision meshes. The reason it's simplified is because complex meshes cause issues especially with concave shapes.

This causes the issue you've recorded because the log is an irregular shape so even though it visually seems like they're not touching, the collision boxes are.

So while this aspect of the game does need improving it's not as simple as 'framing' the objects better.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, LaughingJack said:

Ok. We're just trying to help out. If the answers are not to your liking then i'm sorry.

What you're doing, is like a 6 year old pointing up in the air "airplane, airplane" after I've said, "Hey, look at that 747."  You have yet to give an "answer".

Literally everything you've said as an "answer", is a regurgitation of what I've said.

Or lets try this.  I said, 3 + 2 = 5.

You said, no, 2 + 3 = 5.

You haven't given an "answer" LOL but keep thinking that bud.  It's still "5".  Mesh not matching "collision volume", or vise versa is still 3 + 2 or 2 + 3.  LOL gave an "answer"...

Edited by H4ilToTheKing

Keep it civil in here, if you didn't get the answer or reply you were after then there's no need to target that person with hostility. 

Make sure the content you do put on these forums are within the rules we have here.

Spoiler

§1 Show Respect

This community can only work if we all respect each other. To that end, it is imperative that any time you engage with another user, either directly or indirectly, you show them respect with the content of your post. In particular refrain from flaming, insulting, abusing, taunting, racism, and other similar types of actions towards other forum users.

§2 Attitude & Behavior

Poor attitude and behavior are the most common ways a negative / unsafe environment is created and perpetuated. As such that kind of behavior will not be allowed on these forums. Please be mindful of this rule when posting personal positions and opinions regarding topics which could be considered contentious in nature. As a rule of thumb, keep your posts civil in nature, and refrain from making posts that are likely to incite arguments and create a negative environment. As a privately hosted web forum we reserve the right to maintain an environment that we are happy the majority of our players are comfortable with.

§5 Attitude towards Squad and the Development Team
As per §1 and §2, keep in mind to be respectful and reasonable, not only towards all users of the forum, but also towards the Squad Team and towards any ideas and content and the game itself. Criticism is welcome, but if it is not constructive and/or if it is offensive, the Moderation may need to step in. Please refrain from posting if you are upset, angry or drunk, or you may be punished for things you wouldn’t have otherwise written, which is not in anyone's interest.

Full list of forum rules :
http://forums.joinsquad.com/announcement/11-forum-rules/

The reason this happens, if you demand an explanation, is because the foliage tool in UE4 (what we use to place down our trees, logs, etc) has a feature that allows us to randomly resize objects when they are placed. This really useful, as it allows us to get a lot more variety while using a smaller palette of objects  (this is why kamdesh runs well despite having a lot of foliage). However, it has a nasty habit of occasionally resizing the collision differently than the visual model of the object. This seems to only happen with certain meshes, and these logs are a common culprit. I've been looking into how I might fix this, but it's an engine level bug so it's not very easy.

Now, that aside, Chance is also correct. The forest on kamdesh isn't meant to be easy to drive in, so this isn't really 'unintended' behavior. However I do want the visual mesh to match up better, because it is annoying to hit something that isn't there.

So you want to tell us that you would not have get stuck when the collision mesh would fit the log? 

Like you would do rocket science in your head before you are driving over that log. You would have gotten stuck on it even with proper collision.

Just don't drive over things like that. Like Axton said, it's intended behavior nothing will fix since it's not a bug or something.

On 21.5.2018 at 9:34 PM, H4ilToTheKing said:

Found your issue, you don't know how to "frame" objects/vehicles/the map.