Sparcany

Light Mortars For INS Faction

Recently the insurgent faction had their second LAT class removed, this is a good thing in terms of vehicle play but greatly reduced their efficacy in infantry combat at medium to long range. Optics walk all over the insurgents currently, but this isn't necessarily bad. To promote insurgent play-ability and uniqueness I propose that a new class be added to the insurgent faction the mortar-man. A fire support role, perhaps on a 2-3 per team limited basis.

This role would be similar to the grenadier but with a light portable mortar as their "gadget", this mortar would have very limited ammo, and small 37 mm shells. The mortar would be deployed and constructed by the mortar-man and used to harass enemies at medium range (100-300 M). An example of such a mortar can be seen here. This would give the insurgents more flexibility and flair as a faction.

18 minutes ago, Sparcany said:

Recently the insurgent faction had their second LAT class removed, this is a good thing in terms of vehicle play but greatly reduced their efficacy in infantry combat at medium to long range. Optics walk all over the insurgents currently, but this isn't necessarily bad. To promote insurgent play-ability and uniqueness I propose that a new class be added to the insurgent faction the mortar-man. A fire support role, perhaps on a 2-3 per team limited basis.

This role would be similar to the grenadier but with a light portable mortar as their "gadget", this mortar would have very limited ammo, and small 37 mm shells. The mortar would be deployed and constructed by the mortar-man and used to harass enemies at medium range (100-300 M). An example of such a mortar can be seen here. This would give the insurgents more flexibility and flair as a faction.

Could be intresting, but i still have nightmares from the japanese knee mortars in Rising Storm.

It led to alot of spam and rage. (They were fun to use though :P)

Edited by oTec

I think a similar thing would be achieved by giving Insurgents a class that has an RPG with only Frag rockets.

I've experimented with this idea in a mod I'm making. My version has it as a non-firesupport role that is limited to a maximum of three for a team.

2 hours ago, oTec said:

Could be intresting, but i still have nightmares from the japanese knee mortars in Rising Storm.

It led to alot of spam and rage. (They were fun to use though :P)

Rage is good! I think if it were a deployable like the mines or IED with a team cap we wouldn't have a spam issue.

I like the idea of portable mortars.. been watching some of the US Netflix documentaries and they were using them and any heavy was called in from base...  I would suggest going down the same route as HAT, only one per team.

5 hours ago, Sparcany said:

Until recently , even here in the Israeli defence force , we used a small , man-portable 60mm mortar carried by soilders , i think that would be a good addition to the insurgents , even though i personaly don't like dying to indirect fire in my games , every buff for insurgents would always be welcome for me , i want the irregualr factions to be fearsome and disgustingly over powered with and without the right hands !!! Must players always find it much cooler to play as the conventional forces becuase they have cool toys , i want them to do it at thier own risk ! The risk of getting thier ass handed to them over and over !!! xD:P

7 hours ago, embecmom said:

I like the idea of portable mortars.. been watching some of the US Netflix documentaries and they were using them and any heavy was called in from base...  I would suggest going down the same route as HAT, only one per team.

I think two per team would be balanced if they were limited in explosive power and ammo.

On 5/17/2018 at 1:11 AM, Stom said:

I think a similar thing would be achieved by giving Insurgents a class that has an RPG with only Frag rockets.

I've experimented with this idea in a mod I'm making. My version has it as a non-firesupport role that is limited to a maximum of three for a team.

I like this idea. I think the insurgents should have a plethora of "dumb" weapons to counter the conventional teams fancy pants weapons. Give Ins riflemen an extra nade, maybe one rifleman now has one or two frag rpgs, give them all a slight movement buff to account for less weight and body armor, more initial spawns so they can swarm the enemy.  

15 hours ago, LugNut said:

I like this idea. I think the insurgents should have a plethora of "dumb" weapons to counter the conventional teams fancy pants weapons. Give Ins riflemen an extra nade, maybe one rifleman now has one or two frag rpgs, give them all a slight movement buff to account for less weight and body armor, more initial spawns so they can swarm the enemy.  

The insurgents currently are pretty much a joke compared to anything but the militia faction. They really need some better tools to wage unconventional warfare.