Mr. Robot

Rounds are too long.

Posted (edited)

I like to play as a squad leader, and it's not a problem if my team gets wrecked I can still live with that. The thing is that usually after 0-10min of start you can see already if your team gets wrecked, if you wreck the other team or if the round will be more or less balanced. 

So the problem for me is that it just sucks if you need to wait over 45min that you lose and can get that new change. 

I'm not a fan of this new ticket-bleed system, but I think that by reducing the amount of tickets on start with like -100 or -200 tickets (depending of the map & layout) you could get much better quality to the gameplay. It's really exhausting if the games takes too long to end, doesn't matter if you win or lose. 

This is just one sl's opinion, but i know that im not alone with this feeling. Even as a stupid rifleman (what is my second favorite kit) rounds that lasts over 1 hour are exhausting.

PS: Please give us some night maps (AAS/PAAS). I love Chora night but it's only in inf or ins mode :'( As well i cant wait to play Al Bashrah at night.

Edited by Mr. Robot

there were some PR rounds I played some years ago which lasted 2-3 hours... and I enjoyed it...

I want longer rounds! More dynamic gameplay :) 

Longer rounds enable more tactical gameplay instead of mad rushes. +1 for longer rounds. 

Is SLs give up at begining of game ... (after 10 minutes) when thay think that their teams wrecked. They are wrong. Yesterday we had great start as Militia at OP first light. We pushed tham heavily and after 20 minutes we had almost neutralized US first flag. But they didnt give up. They made some good counterattacks and pushed us back. It was intense battle and after 1,5 hour we was back at our first flag. They won ... by 14 ticktets at the end. At first sight it looked like we wrecked them but they made some good manuevres. In fast games this would not be possible and we would win a game. 

Iam happy that rounds are longer than before. Finally its not just run stress. SLs must realize that time is on their sides. They now have luxus of planing and so on. And there is no need to rush forward like stupids. Because wush can be destroyed and than .. well second start is much worst. In that case I agree that game is decided. Did SLs realize that thay dont have to rush ? Because thay realy dont have to. Just take a time and slow it down in coordination with other squads its much more satisfy and effective than every squad rush somewhere else. 

The new ticket bleed system actually works to allow the losing team to get re-established on a new defense cap with the opportunity to turn the tide. 

If you don't want the mid-cap to dictate the outcome of a match - > You want to give the ability to win on your defense cap behind the mid cap.

If you want the ability to win on your defense cap that is behind the mid cap -> round is bound to be longer....

I LOVE it how it is now! The rounds before were so fast there is not enough time to do anything properly. If you want fast rounds, and I am not talking down on you or fast paced games, go play some fast paced games like Call of Duty 4 or Battlefield 3. 

If you want proper combined arms tactical game on huge maps, the battles got to feel like battles, or a war got to have a feeling of a war and not a childs paintball skirmish or counter strike match. The longer battle time adds depth, planning, bigger tactics and strategy, and feeling to Squad.

This is fixed for A11.1

Ticket values for the small maps have a big reduction. Large maps mostly the same.

This is what we're aiming at so far (dialing it in takes some time since other things affects tickets, but this is the approx target)

1km Maps (Op First Light, Sumari Bala, Logar Valley)

• 30-45 minute average round

2km Maps (Kokan, Mestia, Fools Road)

• 45-60 minute average round

•  

2km+ Maps (Belaya, Chora, Narva)

• 60-75+ minute average round

AAS Tickets 4km Maps (Gorodok, Kamdesh, Kohat, Yehorivka)

• 75-90+ minute average round

I agree with most of the points what i read from answers. There's big advantages from longer rounds and every now and then I see really good comebacks in the game.  My first post was maybe little "exaggerated" towards shorter rounds, sorry for that. Wrecked was not the best word to describe losing.

Sure as a Squad leader you should never give up. What I tried to say was something like this:

Sometimes you have 2-4 clans on other team, and 0 on yours, and during round start there's 4 squads in your team but only one of them is communicating. And when start timer finally ends there's couple squads "stuck" on the main base and don't know what to do. When this kind of round lasts over an hour yes, i'm really exhausted.

From the game speed; I never played PR and Arma I played only in offline, so don't know how the round lengths feels on those games. As well my experience from fast paced games is close to zero. Actually my experience from any other game than Squad is close to zero, but after 1000+ hours experience from Squad i find this as a really fast paced game.

After a flag has been neutralized from enemies (enemy rallies & fob's), placing good FOB close to the next flag, get close rally & push to that next flag with full squad takes easily under 5 minutes from one squad, depending of the map & layout of course. If everything goes well, you get that flag as soon as that previous flag is captured. 

Sure it don't go like this most of the time, but for me this is the ideal scenario, and that's my goal in the game. Sure sometimes you need to wait that extra minute to get your squad together, but as well often you don't have that one extra minute.

And i can't say that i'm 100% happy with new ticket bleed system, but for sure i'm more happy from this ticket-bleed system than from previous ones. I really like that the whole round is not based on one flag anymore. Like I said biggest issue for me is the length of the rounds, not the ticket-bleed system.

I just feel that on average level shorter rounds are better than long ones. Sure I loved it when in v9 round was really balanced and it lasted over an hour, and ticket gap was <50 at the end. Now the rounds just don't feel balanced but takes still long time to end, and i find that kind of frustrating, especially if i'm playing as a SL.

12 minutes ago, fuzzhead said:

This is fixed for A11.1

This is what we're aiming at so far (dialing it in takes some time since other things affects tickets, but this is the approx target)

1km Maps (Op First Light, Sumari Bala, Logar Valley)

• 30-45 minute average round

2km Maps (Kokan, Mestia, Fools Road)

• 45-60 minute average round

2km+ Maps (Belaya, Chora, Narva)

• 60-75+ minute average round

AAS Tickets 4km Maps (Gorodok, Kamdesh, Kohat, Yehorivka)

• 75-90+ minute average round

I really liked what i read, I didn't really think before that map size should effect on the round time so much. Personally I like smaller maps & shorter rounds, but sure bigger maps should have longer rounds. 

Big thanks from the update! For me this sounds really promising, cant wait for this :) 

Posted (edited)

PR for ArmA 2 was amazing... so many great feature that still have not made it into Squad which I find really odd.... seems the rush to please kids with more content regardless if it ruins the gameplay or not is top priority.

Crossing my fingers for the new territory mode... hope it comes soon.

Edited by v76

I dont even know why do we have a timer.Its more fun withought it,and its a hell longer if both teams are good that is.