Ceceli

Rant about rants (Complying with other SLs and muting SL Radio)

Posted (edited)

Every once in a while we get either posts in this forum or some discussions on Discord about why Squad Leaders suck so much or why we get a lot of noobs playing that even a good SL won't make them play like average players. Well, this post is about looking in the mirror and learning how to be thankful when you get what you want instead of screaming for more and more. Bear with me. It's that good! ;)

I was playing in a good server with good players. Everybody was communicating the right amount, pushing flags in a cohesive manner. I even though to myself: these guys are OK. Good clan.

Next match I created a squad to play with a friend. I named it Recon, because that's what we do best just because we don't need to relly on others who might end up faulting. Since the server lacked squads, I didn't close it and immediatly everybody joined. I was SL4.

Now the story really starts...

SL1 asked me to place a FOB in the 2nd flag. I comply.

SL1 asked me to take 3 logis there and make it a Super FOB. I comply.

SL1 asked me to place a FOB in the 5th flag. I comply.

SL1 asked me to divert my logis to the 4th flag. I comply.

SL1 asked me to immediatly get inside the 5th flag. I already was doing that. So I comply.

SL1 loses the 4th flag, loses his shit and keeps going on and on.

I tell him that I've complied with every order out of my good will and that now I need him to be quiet because I can't play with his continuous screaming.

SL1 continues to scream like a brat. At this point, I can't hear anything anymore.

I am forced to open the menu and mute the Command channel.

After a while I open the map and I see his squad in the middle of nowhere trying to get to the 3rd flag, which is now in double neutral, and that Super FOB he requested on the 2nd flag earlier in the match was for nothing.

We lost everything.

Bottom line is: learn to recognize and appreciate when you find someone who actually places the bigger picture and the long game above his need of having fun. Next time, that kind of thing might not happen again. And, also, that is another example on that thing I've requested long ago - mute button. Instead of clicking a button to mute his screams for a couple of minutes so I could approach the 5th flag with full attention, I ended up dying and them muting it on the Options and only unmuting it on the next match 'cause I sure af won't be opening the mune to mute him again everytime he spins out of control and starts his ranting.

Edited by Ceceli

Posted (edited)

If your a SL  go into a battle wanting to do a certain thing..or play a certain way...i get it you want to get your kicks but being a SL means you have to be flexable..if your in the position to attack/mobile/freedom of movement its in every ones best interest you do that...if you in position to defend/locked down no freedom of movement thats your job now...it changes through out the game..you cant just...be a defend squad/attack squad/recon squad...

now if you want to lock a squad with 4 men to do mortars fine but if the other logi's are destroyed you better have your logi help out...its called teamwork.

the fact that you mute other SL's in a game that bases success off teamwork and communication is inherently wrong.

i get it some people think that know better and get annoying but just deal with figure out a way to work together or lose thats the way it is and should be.

but yes i get it.... some humans have no people skills *cough* DOC ham*cough* and have no business being a leader of people regardless how much they know about game mechanics..

Edited by ♠DEG♠

Posted (edited)

If somehow I passed you the idea that my squad was doing everthing at once, I'm sorry for the confusion. And thanks for finishing your post with what matters: some people you just can't reason with. Like that guy.

Edited by Ceceli

On the public servers this sort of thing happens all the time.

I think it's fine to play Squad, just for fun (if that's your thing). It's also fine to play, to win. And it's also fine to play the team game, win or lose.

It's more a case of establishing what the team want's to do that round, and go with it. 

Of course that level of understanding and communication on a public server is rare, and insanely difficult to 'make' happen.

I enjoy the odd, random, public match but never consider it a competitive round. Sometimes I am surprised and it all works well. But this is rare.

Hence 95% of my Squad time is in a ZXD (our clan) team/s. At least that way on a Squad level we tend to have a decent round, and I don't rage quit!

2 hours ago, Guan_Yu007 said:

Good squad leaders should honestly be rewarded in some way.

I am rewarded with compliments quite a lot. That's enough for me. Also I get a personal feeling of reward when other squads take my suggestions into account and we all can make a fine joint operation. I'm all about the team. I find it quite a rare thing to be honest. Not many players find it as fun as I do.

And, @SHO-SHIN, yeah, I can go either way. When my team plays for fun or to win at all costs, when we lose or when we win. I just can't stand when 2 things happen: when people destroy expensive assets and when people think that the radio is a phone to have long conversations preventing me from listening to the game when I need it most, and that goes for self entitled brat who keeps trash talking constantly as well.

5 hours ago, Ceceli said:

And, @SHO-SHIN, yeah, I can go either way. When my team plays for fun or to win at all costs, when we lose or when we win. I just can't stand when 2 things happen: when people destroy expensive assets and when people think that the radio is a phone to have long conversations preventing me from listening to the game when I need it most, and that goes for self entitled brat who keeps trash talking constantly as well.

LOL indeed!

6 hours ago, Ceceli said:

I am rewarded with compliments quite a lot. That's enough for me. Also I get a personal feeling of reward when other squads take my suggestions into account and we all can make a fine joint operation. I'm all about the team. I find it quite a rare thing to be honest. Not many players find it as fun as I do.

Yeah i often just fill in the gaps with my squad. See where they need me the most. I often ask how other squadleaders are doing at their objectives and tell them that if they need help they just need to give the call.

Posted (edited)

Like mentioned before, some people just lack the social intelligence to be good SLs, and it doesn't matter if they are Squad Colonel level 3000 in terms of knowledge and time in game. 

I can get quite aggressive over squad comms at times, but only if another squad leader seems completely lost, and then it's usually personal numpad communication, and is more of a "Squad lead (no), do you have a mic, do you speak English, do you hear when we are trying to communicate with you? SQUAD LEAD (no), DO YOU COPY?"-thing. 

They usually respond, when I do my best pissed off Gunnery Sgt Hartman impression, and we can then establish some kind of communication, and sort out any misunderstandings quite efficiently, without cluttering the SL comms. I also always thank other SLs when complying, or loud and clear acknowledge compliance if asked to do something I agree with. 

Keep all radio communications short and simple, yet very clear. "Eeeh", "uuhm", "soooooooo...", etc, has no place in comms. Pressing B or G without already knowing what you are going to say, and how you are going to say it, is a big no-no in my opinion. The other SL's and your squad will do a hell of a lot better if they can focus on what they are doing, and not having to listen to your purposeless small-talk and stammering. 

When SL's feel the need to discuss a proposed idea or strategy over comms for a longer period of time, it is nothing but a nuisance, and is not helping the team in any way. Abusive SL's, trying to dictate the entire match, screaming and shouting at everyone and everything, are equally ineffective. 

I am at work, and have had to step away from this post like 7 times, so I have no idea what my point was... 

Edited by PuddleMurda

Well, by the time I ended this reading @PuddleMurda, I thought the point was made and I appreciate you taking the time to tell us all that. This is the first time ever I've seen someone being so precise about how a SL should behave.

Can you mute other SL ;-) there is an idea ;-)

Yeah, I feel you man. I'm a pretty good SL, and about 20% of games I get salt from some other SL for placing too many/too few FOBs, in locations he doesn't like, or being out of position for whatever reason.

I usually explain why I'm doing what I'm going in a fairly calm manner (its usually because I understand Squad meta better than Captain Hotshot, or because my squad members are new). About 75% of the time this gets them to stop screaming.

The other 25%, I just kinda have to ignore them. Sometimes other SLs pitch in and tell em to shut up.

Posted (edited)

I once got kicked for placing a FOB in a place that an admin - who wasn't playing, but rather just watching the whole day - didn't like. There was no warning. Just some excuse for him to get some action since he was scratching his balls all day in front of SQUAD waiting for something to happen. I say this to exemplify how much I get this 20%. In other severs, speacially brazilians, you don't even answer other SLs because not only they don't understand shit I'm saying, they will curse you for thinking outside the box. It's like a bucket of crags. They pull inside the ones who try to escape.  Also, that other 25% you speak of, @Gopblin, is totally understadable. You just can't reason with some people.

And in the end of the day it's all about Call of Duty players trying to fit in SQUAD and impose themselves on the rest of us who actually understand this game as a simulator of war instead of just a little arcady game.

Edited by Ceceli

I know this thread is about SL's but what I'm about to say relates to comms. Time after time you always get that guy in Squad comms saying "watch out dude hes right around the corner!" which makes every single squad member lose their concentration to check this so call right hand corner. Please, just please, for the love of god USE local chat when splurting out a warning like that!

Same goes for "grenade!", "behind you!", "watch your left!", "heal me!", "hes over there", "on me!", "they're chasing me!", "GET DOWN!", "where i'm pointing". Please just use local chat intelligently. 

Edited by Quadro

1 minute ago, Quadro said:

I know this thread is about SL's but what I'm about to say relates to comms. Time after time you always get that guy in Squad comms saying "watch out dude hes right around the corner!" which makes every single squad member lose their concentration to check this so call right hand corner. Please, just please, for the love of god USE local chat when splurting out a warning like that!

yes! and if you saying contact at 150,250 what ever please use local as it is not the same for you mates not in the same location as you 

5 minutes ago, ♠DEG♠ said:

yes! and if you saying contact at 150,250 what ever please use local as it is not the same for you mates not in the same location as you 

That's a very good point. Shout out compass direction to whole squad in squad comms and give degrees to people close to you in local comms! Nice shout DEG.

Edited by Quadro

Well i wouldn't do that either. A lot of times other squad leaders are just fun people wanting to coöp with your squad.

I often try to get a quick plan set up with other SL's.

Edited by Guan_Yu007

@Ceceli Yeah...This happens a lot on pub matches. I usually just ignore them and continue to support the team. Sometimes you have to be the bigger person AND be the backbone of the team. That's why I almost exclusively use Logi/Transport to establish a FOB or set multiple FOBs depending on the faction and layer.

Also play on servers that have admin presence if possible. 

On 5/10/2018 at 10:41 PM, ♠DEG♠ said:

some humans have no people skills *cough* DOC ham*cough* and have no business being a leader of people regardless how much they know about game mechanics..

on the money!

The fundamental problem is that some players, as Squad Leaders, don't exhibit most values an actual leader should have:

- Learn from challenges and mistakes.

- Welcome constructive criticism.

- Give constructive criticism.

- Praise good behavior.

But instead they ONLY focus on:

- Correcting bad behavior. In an aggressive manner, at that. 

So what does that mean? If OWI aims to cater squad to a broader audience, we will have to deal with these issues one way or another....There is no simple solution to this other than playing on reputable servers with admin presence and try not to stir the pot because it'll become a shit fest on comms and then ALL SL's will suffer as well as the team. 

18 hours ago, CptDirty said:

The fundamental problem is that some players, as Squad Leaders, don't exhibit most values an actual leader should have:

- Learn from challenges and mistakes.

- Welcome constructive criticism.

- Give constructive criticism.

- Praise good behavior.

But instead they ONLY focus on:

- Correcting bad behavior. In an aggressive manner, at that. 

So what does that mean? If OWI aims to cater squad to a broader audience, we will have to deal with these issues one way or another....There is no simple solution to this other than playing on reputable servers with admin presence and try not to stir the pot because it'll become a shit fest on comms and then ALL SL's will suffer as well as the team. 

Currently squad leading is incredibly stressful. A lot of people get worn down after awhile. I think we can all think of a time where we were snappy in squad or command chat during a rough play session. It will be nice to finally have the commander role in game to alleviate some of the burden squad leads deal with.

23 hours ago, Quadro said:

Same goes for "grenade!", "behind you!", "watch your left!", "heal me!", "hes over there", "on me!", "they're chasing me!", "GET DOWN!", "where i'm pointing". Please just use local chat intelligently. 

I mean mistakes happen where you press the wrong button, getting angry/annoyed over stuff like that is just nonsense.

2 hours ago, Crusty said:

I mean mistakes happen where you press the wrong button, getting angry/annoyed over stuff like that is just nonsense.

Precisely.. wait a sec, you saying I get angry? I don't think I've played with you Crusty and I'm pretty a don't get angry with people. 

2 hours ago, Quadro said:

Precisely.. wait a sec, you saying I get angry? I don't think I've played with you Crusty and I'm pretty a don't get angry with people. 

I didnt mean you in particular and I meant that people shouldn't pay even a bit of attention to small errors like that. Sorry if you thought I was singling you out, and no I dont believe we have played together.