Genome

Crewman Squad Leader rally points

Posted (edited)

Hello.  First time posting here as I have never really had a need or desire to post, until now. Up till this point I have been very accepting of changes, implementations, and mechanics.  However, the new rally mechanic for Crewman Squad Leader kits has got me triggered, and I will explain why!  Lol  

Before the new build (v11), I played as a mobile squad leader that usually lead my men from the driver seat of the armor / vehicle I was operating.  I was very good at it too.  With that said, being able to get on a flank of an enemy, I would set rally's down with myself and my gunner or vice versa.  Now this caused a great flaking ability and also great immersion.  The immersion part comes from when my full dead squad respawns at the rally, loads into my vehicle, and then I drive off into the fray usually deploying my men behind cover in the midst of battle.  I can't tell you how much I enjoy that particular immersion. 

My problem now is that the new crewman Squad Leader kit now needs 3 other men nearby to place a rally. I understand that meta.  My problem with this is that it's a damn squad leader kit!  Why bother having a crewman squad leader kit when a normal crewman kit could literally be used the same way, minus the binoculars.  I personally feel this is rubbish! 

I say, give the squad leader crewman kit back the ability to place rally's as normally as the infantry version.  In a nutshell, as a armor/vehicle squad leader, my men are usually in the midst of battle so it's usually only myself and the gunner or vice versa. Also, usually as a vehicle operator we are driving around trying to flank other infantry or vehicles.  To back peddle to the last placed rally point to pick up my men usually leads to going across what is considered a hot zone or a field of fire that can be exposed as a danger zone for vehicles considering the exposure of revealing the vehicle out in the open per say.  I understand the meta behind this too. "well drive out of combat around the battle field and pick up your men" you say?  I agree!  However with the addition of TOWs and HATs, that simple task can be literally life and death.  Usually coming from a pre flanked position only to return back to it with an enemy waiting to fire a rocket of sorts.  You see where this is going?

I feel the new rally mechainc causes a bit of anxiety as to "hide" more so, so that you can successfully play with a full squad and deploying them into battle.  Having the rally mechainc go back to normal I feel would cut the stress of trying to operate a full squad while leading from a vehicle to be a more effective squad and would then in return have alot more deployed units into battle.  Because for me as it stands, no one really plays with the old mind set of Project Reality where you name a squad the name of the asset you want and people respect that and leave the assets to your squad.  Hardly anyone does this in squad or respects the old mind set from PR!  It's first come first serve usually and I cannot trust other squads with vehicles to pick up my men when they need be. 

So the meta behind all of this is a very different outcome to gameplay then once thought about.  It's easy to say, well just drive around.. But that doesn't cut it.  Especially in maps that have particular routes and sections that are cut off to the way the maps are designed.  I personally can keep my vehicle out of harms way for the duration of the map with proper flaking and scouting game play. This all died when the mechainc of the rally changed for squad leader crewman and it makes me sad.  Kinda went from tactical insertion to, "holy shit, I gotta go back across that road to pick you all up" only to get HAT or TOW killed.. 

Edited by Genome

/bump

It is beyond irrational stupid that the squad creman kit cannot act like a normal SL kit.  There's NO POINT to have it as an option, just have SLs take a crewman kit since you want to screw us over.

3 hours ago, H4ilToTheKing said:

There's NO POINT to have it as an option, just have SLs take a crewman kit since you want to screw us over.

Of course there's a point. Nothing is just randomly done by chance. This is pure speculation but I'd say the purpose is to discourage locked two person squads and incentivize teamwork.

SL crewman is definitely for locked squads. The much more reasonable option for motorized rifles at the moment is to use squad members for crew, and the SL dismounts and fights with the infantry. If you want to command your squad from the driver or gunner seat you'll have to use the MTLB.

Don't really understand why though. I see a lot of SLs get trapped by this because they were the only one who volunteered to drive the stryker. Absolute nightmare trying to place rallies with 4 compared to 2.

Before this crewman SL kit it was very easy for a SL to drive around an objective with a gunner dropping rallies for 7 other players to spawn in on and press from new angles.

This change requires SL to be a passenger if they want to do this. 

All is well.

2 hours ago, suds said:

Before this crewman SL kit it was very easy for a SL to drive around an objective with a gunner dropping rallies for 7 other players to spawn in on and press from new angles.

Yeah, everyone gets that part but why was that a problem? Certainly one couldn't cite "realism".

I think the problem is that it is an easy way to win. I certainly used it as that when i was feeling lazy. Squad was happy, I was being driven around in an armoured KD machine and we won a lot.

Winning shouldnt be that easy.

Posted (edited)
On 8/3/2018 at 10:04 AM, Zylfrax791 said:

Yeah, everyone gets that part but why was that a problem? Certainly one couldn't cite "realism".

Actually one could cite realism.

Even in U.S. Army the vehicle commander isn't the squad leader of mechanized infantry squad.  SL is part of the dismounted element.

http://armchairgeneral.com/tactics-101-101-the-mechanized-infantry-platoon.htm

Though it's probably acceptable for unconventional faction to bypass that limit.

The way it is(or rather, should be; in an organized server) with all of the apc/ifv crew in one squad in PR is actually the most realistic.

Edited by EcchiRevenge

Personally never fond of SL driving about, think your never give either role the needed attention it needs. Shouldn't matter about rally you have transport to pick up the squad anywhere on the map. As your happy to be the Uber driver.