Yuuri

High temp while playing

My problem is that my gtx 980 ti keep reaching 80c while vsync on at 60 fps..... i open the case to circulate more air and still keep reaching high temp

my rig:

I7 7770k

z270 g3

gtx 980ti 

8g ram

80degC for  980ti is fine don't worry about it. It's probably dictated by Nvidias fan profile. You could use a utility like Afterburner to ramp up your fan speeds but that's going to bring extra noise. The safe limit for the 980ti is around 92degC.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Major Trouble said:

80degC for  980ti is fine don't worry about it. It's probably dictated by Nvidias fan profile. You could use a utility like Afterburner to ramp up your fan speeds but that's going to bring extra noise. The safe limit for the 980ti is around 92degC.

The problem is that when he reach 85+ the pc stop working and i lose signal from the monitor and after shuting down the pc.... and turn it on.. the same problem happen even again and not just this game every game keep doing the same keep losing signal... which is weird  but even 75 or 80... is too much for 60 fps only...

Edited by Yuuri

Use afterburner or some sort to set your fan tweak profile 

I usaully keep mine not to exceed 73C

Is the inside of your PC caked in dust...? 

Is the fan on your GTX980ti perhaps also full of dust? That will hurt its thermal tolerance significantly. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/11/2018 at 1:28 AM, samwiseOrigin said:

Use afterburner or some sort to set your fan tweak profile 

I usaully keep mine not to exceed 73C

at 100% fan speed  the temp is 83c and when i turn the vsyn on it drop to 70 - 75 

On 5/11/2018 at 3:15 AM, Psyrus said:

Is the inside of your PC caked in dust...? 

Is the fan on your GTX980ti perhaps also full of dust? That will hurt its thermal tolerance significantly. 

no i did change the case and  send the card for replace one of the fan with new thermal paste too 

and still get to high even in the damn menu the temp go 80c

Edited by Yuuri

Posted (edited)

replace thermal paste, clean the (gpu)cooler and if this doesnt work, lower or reset the graphics settings

- did you overclock that gpu?

Edited by cheese

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, cheese said:

replace thermal paste, clean the (gpu)cooler and if this doesnt work, lower or reset the graphics settings

- did you overclock that gpu?

They did clean it and replace the thermal paste..... still reach 83c even when the fan at 100%  

and no i didn't overclock but i think my dose have some oc thing cuz the core can reach 1350

ok here is ffxv... the setting is average all nvidia setting is off ... and vsync is on 

mzljF54.jpg

Edited by Yuuri

well.... weird.

Whats your GPU model? Have you bought it from a store or used from ebay or something? Can you show a photo of your computer and inside the case?

Can you post screenshots of your Nvidia settings (right mouse klick on desktop - nvidia settings)

What is your room temperature?  You got a air conditioner?  Bring your room temp into mid 60's or lower see what happens.  If your room temp is 69 or 70 and above and you have high humidity the fans have to work harder to cool and sometimes can't do it.  That's my experience living in Nevada in summer time temps of 100 degrees my computer ran hot.

1 hour ago, cheese said:

well.... weird.

Whats your GPU model? Have you bought it from a store or used from ebay or something? Can you show a photo of your computer and inside the case?

Can you post screenshots of your Nvidia settings (right mouse klick on desktop - nvidia settings)

1-gigabyte gtx 980 ti g1... it was used for 1 years only and it was in good condition.... and never did this happen before.

and this is the new case i bought 

2-about "Nvidia settings" it's default.... i don't play with it  

3-case name cooler master haf 912 Mid Tower 

jBEbGKn.jpg?1 

1 hour ago, XRobinson said:

What is your room temperature?  You got a air conditioner?  Bring your room temp into mid 60's or lower see what happens.  If your room temp is 69 or 70 and above and you have high humidity the fans have to work harder to cool and sometimes can't do it.  That's my experience living in Nevada in summer time temps of 100 degrees my computer ran hot.

I do have air conditioner and the room temp 35 to 40c .... I did open the case to see of the heat drop down but nothing happen it.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Yuuri said:

1-gigabyte gtx 980 ti g1... it was used for 1 years only and it was in good condition.... and never did this happen before.

so yo bought it used? maybe your gpu got a bios flash from the other owner. Can you post a screenshot running GPU-Z?

actually 35-40 degC in a room is quiet warm.... maybe try 25 degC? ;)

Edited by cheese

20 minutes ago, cheese said:

so yo bought it used? maybe your gpu got a bios flash from the other owner. Can you post a screenshot running GPU-Z?

actually 35-40 degC in a room is quiet warm.... maybe try 25 degC? ;)

i can do that with air conditioner but still evey time i run a game it reach 83c fast... with 100% fan speed and stay like that and some time go to 90c

here is the screen

33f.png

Posted (edited)

well comparing to this klickme your GPU is fine. nothing modified. Also :

Thermal limits

Rated: 83.0C

Max: 91.0C

i´d say your gpu is just running on 100% usage because of your own graphics configuration ingame (everything maxed out?). I see you're using MSI Afterburner, maybe monitor your GPU usage, if you're all time around 95-100% it's probably normal reaching these temps.

If this doesn't confirm, maybe check if they really added some thermal paste on that thing xD

-i also think you didn't touch the voltage in MSI Afterburner? maybe select "reset" once on this tool

Edited by cheese

10 minutes ago, cheese said:

well comparing to this klickme your GPU is fine. nothing modified. Also :

i´d say your gpu is just running on 100% usage because of your own graphics configuration ingame (everything maxed out?). I see you're using MSI Afterburner, maybe monitor your GPU usage, if you're all time around 95-100% it's probably normal reaching these temps.

If this doesn't confirm, maybe check if they really added some thermal paste on that thing xD

if u see here the gpu usage is 63% and the temp at 83c..... is that normal? 

hNuQxFq.jpg

the setting is at high with some are off... with vsyn at 60 and as u can see 83c 

well i dont really think its normal, but i don't own a 980ti and looking at thermal statistic of different 980tis, your gpu should be under 80 deC. But also looking at your CPU running around 75 deC i just think maybe its too warm in your room? otherwise maybe cpu temp is your gpus fault?... i cant tell you from here.

So just try "reset" at MSI Afterburner, then check temps again and if this doesn't work, check if they really added quality thermal paste instead of ketchup or toothpaste on it. also check the scews of the cooler, maybe they're not fixed.... otherwise i cant explain this issue

I only get high temps because I'm on fireeeee killin and setting fobs up oh yeah 

Check your fans make sure they're spinning.

Check orientation of fans 

1 hour ago, cheese said:

well i dont really think its normal, but i don't own a 980ti and looking at thermal statistic of different 980tis, your gpu should be under 80 deC. But also looking at your CPU running around 75 deC i just think maybe its too warm in your room? otherwise maybe cpu temp is your gpus fault?... i cant tell you from here.

So just try "reset" at MSI Afterburner, then check temps again and if this doesn't work, check if they really added quality thermal paste instead of ketchup or toothpaste on it. also check the scews of the cooler, maybe they're not fixed.... otherwise i cant explain this issue

1 hour ago, CptDirty said:

I only get high temps because I'm on fireeeee killin and setting fobs up oh yeah 

Check your fans make sure they're spinning.

Check orientation of fans 

here screen shot of squad with vsyn off 

UUHoawV.jpg

OMzRU8B.jpg

on

gAMjJZO.jpg

UZ9Rm6D.jpg

The temp difference comes due the lower clock of the gpu with vsynch, but still almost 70 deC. if you google for 980ti temps youll find a lot of topics about this. I think its normal for your gpu. 

If your pc is crashing sometimes maybe your cpu runs hot due the heat of the gpu. I mean 75 deC is a good amount especially if you oc'ed your 7700k.

I'd recommend you, place your front fans on the top so they drag the hot air out of the case instad cold air in. Maybe youll save few deC

Posted (edited)

There is something strange about your card. GPU-Z shows your boost clock going to 1241 Mhz yet your screenshot shows a GPU clock speed of 1354 Mhz. If it's set to overclocked no wonder your cooling solution is struggling.

Interesting little read.

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/08/11/gigabyte_gtx_980_ti_g1_gaming_video_card_review/4

Seems Gigabyte 980ti G1 does go above stated boost clock in game.

Edited by Major Trouble

7 hours ago, Major Trouble said:

There is something strange about your card. GPU-Z shows your boost clock going to 1241 Mhz yet your screenshot shows a GPU clock speed of 1354 Mhz. If it's set to overclocked no wonder your cooling solution is struggling.

Interesting little read.

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/08/11/gigabyte_gtx_980_ti_g1_gaming_video_card_review/4

Seems Gigabyte 980ti G1 does go above stated boost clock in game.

but still the temp doesn't reach 83c only in the reference card .... while mine in full load reach 60c... with fan....

2 hours ago, Yuuri said:

but still the temp doesn't reach 83c only in the reference card .... while mine in full load reach 60c... with fan....

That points towards it being the cooling solution being a problem as has already been discussed. Short of making sure you have good case airflow and a clean functioning gpu cooler there isn't much more you can do without spending money.

The fact your gpu has a sh*t fit before it reaches its safe limits doesn't bode well. Different chips of the same design will all overclock to different levels and yours might not of been a good pick for Gigabyte to overclock. I had as brand new factory overclocked gpu from MSI that would overclock to its stated levels but would artefact and crash after prolonged use. I had to wind back the overclock to get it to work reliably. You might have to do the same.