Sign in to follow this  
Noobgamer

Can bullet penetrate the ground?

So I went prone and set up my machinegun on a small mountain to shoot an enemy below me, only hitting the ground in front of me instead, but the enemy died anyway. So is it possible that when hitting at a very shallow angle the bullet would penetrate the surface of the ground?

I HIGHLY doubt this and it was very very likely a couple bullets didnt hit the ground or someone else shot him

I've had the 30mm and strykers kill or injure me through the tops of small hills, so I'm not sure why, but they can. I had zero part of me exposed, it saw me, opened fire from long range and I ran back out of sight, where I started taking damage. 

i would assume that any projectile is culled if they go below the terrain at any point (correct me if i'm wrong, anyone).

@LugNut: this may be due to distance. just guessing here but sounds similar to my experiance with BFBC2 - being shot through the edges of things (such as rocks) when i was 100% confident i'm behind cover (not talking lag here). we experimented with Valparisio(bfbc2) and a particular rock that persistently let rounds through it's 'top' - taken from my POV i was in-cover and the shooter was only showing the top of his head (hat/cap), whereas from his POV his rifle and head were clear of the rock enough to shoot and could hit me. the problem, we think, was the LOD's and how they render/change shape at distance.

i've noticed in the Squad-SDK that terrain that is at distance changes shape radically enough to produce 'holes' and gaps between the landscape elements - which means i might see peeps behind hilltops because the hilltop has changed shape form my POV.

Maybe? It might be related to the floating character issue that occurs sometimes. Although, when I was behind the ridge, out of line of sight and no longer in danger, with the vic still suppressing/shooting at me I could see exit debris on my side of the hill, so the game was registering impact on both sides of the terrain. I just figured that the ground was set up with a non absolute penetration value, and the distance was short enough that it would allow the large caliber rounds to make it all the way through. No real idea though, it would be interesting to experiment with it. 

On 5/18/2018 at 2:14 AM, LugNut said:

... I could see exit debris on my side of the hill, so the game was registering impact on both sides of the terrain.

yeah that seems wrong.