NikolaiLev

Invisible/Low LOD terrain up close

In some maps, in some areas, there will be terrain rendering as though it's at an extremely low LOD; foliage will appear to be floating and I will be able to sink under terrain, sometimes able to look up through the map.  You'd think this would confer an advantage, but the truth is that I'm unable to tell where to cusp so I can fire at targets, often shooting the ground in front of me, giving away my position.  Not to mention I don't like exploiting.

I've tried turning my graphics settings up, but the problem seems to persist.  I've cleared cache and verified files.

I'm aware that my PC doesn't meet minspec, though the game generally runs playably.  This is the only graphical anomaly.

CPU:  AMD FX-8310 3.4GHz

GPU: GTX 465 

RAM: 8gb

68892FD530D31FB514AB267A413C931D3647DF5C

8AF0A7ED9CFAC17C3F8A33EC0F9E0D6A6AB7C86F

2 hours ago, NikolaiLev said:

CPU:  AMD FX-8310 3.4GHz

GPU: GTX 465 

RAM: 8gb

All I can say is your specs are at low end unfortunately. 

Steam Requirement.JPG

As you can see your GPU is below minimum requirement

Also we have had bunch of FX-8350 not being able to run Squad (Prob due to lack of single thread compared to 2500K so I doubt 8310 would do any better... 
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/AMD-FX-8310-Eight-Core-vs-Intel-i5-2500K-vs-Intel-i7-4790K/2393vs804vs2275

Being under spec doesn't generally make the terrain go invisible though... :|

As above, this isn't a frame rate problem.  This is a graphical anomaly, which shouldn't be caused by being under minimum spec.

I tried a complete reinstall since my game installation was from 2016 or so.  That didn't help, unfortunately.  I don't recall this occurring back then, either, so this is a semi-recent problem.

9 hours ago, NikolaiLev said:

As above, this isn't a frame rate problem.  This is a graphical anomaly, which shouldn't be caused by being under minimum spec.

There is one thing (that I can't test as I don't have a relevant GPU) which is maybe... your 1GB of vram is being eaten up by the other scene assets and therefore it only can hold the lowest LOD in memory for the terrain, causing what you're seeing?

It's pretty unlikely because as far as I know, all MIPS for textures and all LODs for a model are held in memory if the model is visible, so it's hard to imagine that this would be the cause, unless UE4 does things quite differently from other engines. 

On 5/10/2018 at 2:19 AM, Psyrus said:

There is one thing (that I can't test as I don't have a relevant GPU) which is maybe... your 1GB of vram is being eaten up by the other scene assets and therefore it only can hold the lowest LOD in memory for the terrain, causing what you're seeing?

It's pretty unlikely because as far as I know, all MIPS for textures and all LODs for a model are held in memory if the model is visible, so it's hard to imagine that this would be the cause, unless UE4 does things quite differently from other engines. 

How come this never happened back in 2016?  It might be because Squad has received more and more assets resulting in a heavier VRAM dependency.

I tried updating GPU drivers additionally.  Nothing helped.  Hopefully nobody else runs into this issue.

It's a darn shame.  The game has gotten pretty unplayable.  I guess I'll have to uninstall until I can afford a new GPU.  Thanks for the help anyways.