Sign in to follow this  
_randombullet

What moves Squad into Beta?

From launch till now i think we can all agree that Squad has added some awesome content in Alpha. This had a me and a few friends talking about if Squad is ready for beta. Do you think it is or close? I think so. There can only be so much more added from what we have already. What do we have left? Helos? Animations? Maps? How close do you think Squad is?

proly will be alpha untill next year, when it should move to beta... I woulndt expect a beta for the next months

We still need ATGM for russia helicopter, tanks, bmps. And there was like a list on reddit or something about things they were gonna add before beta

Tanks, helicopters, commander, suppression overhaul, spawn/logi things, medic overhaul, finishing the vehicle damage system, breaching/doors, territory control & randomized AAS, 100 player servers are the big factors that I'd consider Squad needs to be "mostly feature complete" and comfortably call it a Beta, or even a 1.0 full release. In the scope of V11 and the content with it, that doesn't seem very far off at all, game modes and 100 pop servers are probably the biggest ones there, but still doable by the end of the year if all goes well. Fallujah is pretty happily underway as well and while I wouldn't say Squad "needs" new maps to call it feature complete, I'm sure no one is going to complain about more and now that Kamdesh is done, I'd imagine there is already another new mystery map in the works besides Fallujah. 

But yeah, it's getting eerily close. Imagine V12 with refinements to the vehicle dmg model, tanks,  randomized AAS and some work on spawns, at least Rally Points were going to get looked at, maybe suppression will make it in there too depending how long it takes and that list is already halved, Fallujah might be done for it as well... 

If hypothetically V12 takes 3 months, it'll be August and then for the rest of the year there would be Commander, Medic, Breaching, Territory Control, Helicopters and 100 player servers. Not too shabby.

This is not a criticism of Offworld Games in any way, but IMO alpha/beta/final release/patches/hotfixes...  are all the same thing and hence meaningless, (until the game development is abandoned).  Squad in alpha is 1000 times 'better' than many full release games, that is for sure.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Nightingale87 said:

Helicopters and 8km maps...

Belaya: 15.2 km (square)

Gorodok: 18.8 km

Yehorivka: 17.5 km

Kohat: 15.7 km

Kamdesh: 15.2 km

I think will not too bad for Heli

Edited by Tmac

4 hours ago, Tmac said:

Belaya: 15.2 km (square)

Gorodok: 18.8 km

Yehorivka: 17.5 km

Kohat: 15.7 km

Kamdesh: 15.2 km

I think will not too bad for Heli

Belaya is 15.2 km but that´s the WHOLE área, not the playable área. The playable área is less tan half. And that goes for most of the maps. 

The biggest maps in PR were 4x4 kms. BUT....PR had fog. So visibility was reduced and it made the maps seem even bigger. Besides a jet could leave the limits for a certain amount of time before it returned. That extends the área.

Part of the Squad community doesn´t want any fog implemented. So far visibility with guided missiles will make it REALLY hard for choppers. That´s why I said 8x8...It´s a bit too much I know.

So to recap...My answer is BIGGER maps. Choppers. And of course, 100+ players servers. 

Posted (edited)

If not implemented properly tanks and choppers could easily turn this into arma3's koth garbage in terms of play style... iwo need to be very careful how they add such assets to each map.

Edited by v76
shitty spelling