DanielNL

Make tournament mode force high settings for effects and foliage too. (please)

It's just way too unfair, as players with low effects will easily see through explosions, smoke etc etc and through foliage a lot easier with low foliage.

well...considering the suggestion would go hand in hand with higher-end computer gear, it will force competitive players to meet the "recommended requirements" which potentially could harm that demographic? For those who can't necessarily spend the money on a GTX 1080 and upgrade their CPU?

Instead of forcing people to play on high settings, why not encourage the current low settings behavior? I mean, if you're a competitive player I'm sure you don't care about explosions and effect, you just want to win the match. Right? 

GTx 960 4GB will even do fine on full HD medium-high settings (maybe little lower res than 1080p though, and some other settings off or so)

And no, realism goes over competition imo

Posted (edited)

Any feedback on this from OWI please? Or has it already be changed in the last patches? (This thread is up now since about 6 weeks)

at least foliage on high is a must imo to not cause disadvantage. And maybe even minimum resolution must be 1280x720.

(updating this as next Lvl40v40 is about to start soon)

Edited by DanielNL

ROFL then all I can reply is: you don't even know that THE "tournament mode" currently is a thing... it DOES exist, with super low minimum forced settings... Or did you only mean the resolution part? Ofc, technically, programming wise every condition can be checked and cause the client to not be able to connect until he changes the settings PLUS not allow him to change the settings as long as his is connected to that specific tournament mode server.

On 6/18/2018 at 4:35 AM, DanielNL said:

ROFL then all I can reply is: you don't even know that THE "tournament mode" currently is a thing... it DOES exist, with super low minimum forced settings... Or did you only mean the resolution part? Ofc, technically, programming wise every condition can be checked and cause the client to not be able to connect until he changes the settings PLUS not allow him to change the settings as long as his is connected to that specific tournament mode server.

So you think it's feasible to have the devs spend resources on further reducing the already niche competitive community? Forcing a resolution is possible and so is forcing all sorts of settings theoretically, but what new crashes might this cause? Will people be kicked for tabbing out or switching to windowed from fullscreen?

On 5/6/2018 at 8:05 PM, CptDirty said:

Instead of forcing people to play on high settings, why not encourage the current low settings behavior? I mean, if you're a competitive player I'm sure you don't care about explosions and effect, you just want to win the match. Right? 

No, the thing about competitiveness in Squad is to show skills in communication, teamwork, coordination and also train your eyes to see small movements in grass etc. thats the thing. And no, of course alt tab and mode change won't crash the game. Unreal Engine 4 is one of the most stable game-engines around.

As there's still some work being done on graphics and maps, we're not working on integrating that into tournament mode *right now*. It is on our mind and will likely see some updates. Nordic is a big proponent of tournament mode too, and doesn't let us forget it needs updates. =)

it can be set at server level can it not?  when playing the squad tournaments specific settings had to be in place or the server would kick.

Thank you for your reply Gatzby! and yes embec, I agree!

3 hours ago, embecmom said:

it can be set at server level can it not?  when playing the squad tournaments specific settings had to be in place or the server would kick.

Yes it can, i cannot play competitive with my clan due to the fact that the server kicks me for not having the correct shadow and view distance setting. I cannot put it higher due to loss of fps.

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, DanielNL said:

What CPU, GPU, RAM amount do you have oTec?

i7 4790 @ 3.6ghz, GTX 1050 Ti GT OC , 12 gb ddr3 1600.

If i have to play comp, i'd only play when i get a constant 60fps, but i don't even manage that on my current settings.

Sits between 45-80fps depending on map/action.

Edited by oTec

Posted (edited)

Yes I highly recommend you to upgrade to a GTX 1060 6GB or RX 580 8GB (I went from the 1060 to 580 for VR reasons). You can even check on eBay (with PayPal) for offers of used ones which still have 1-2 years warranty (seller has to send bill with the GPU then to you).

Why would you demand 60 fps? 40 is totally fine for comp, won't make you see enemies any faster xD

edited

Edited by DanielNL

If tournament mode was an optional server-side setting, forcing all players to play at a certain graphics level, I would play on these servers only. To me, this sounds like a perfectly suitable way to level the playing field without forcing other players out of Squad.

I like.

For the guys wondering what the minimum tournament settings are:

• shadows: medium
  • view distance: high

14 hours ago, DanielNL said:

Yes I highly recommend you to upgrade to a GTX 1060 6GB or RX 580 8GB (I went from the 1060 to 580 for VR reasons). You can even check on eBay (with PayPal) for offers of used ones which still have 1-2 years warranty (seller has to send bill with the GPU then to you).

Why would you demand 60 fps? 40 is totally fine for comp, won't make you see enemies any faster xD

edited

Because any lower for long periods of time starts screwing with my eyes, feels like i have to focus alot more on my screen for some reason. Wich then leads to me quitting wich isn't soo good during comp.

Also, due to the higher settings, i will dip beneath 40fps. On low it already goes as low as 42-43.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, DanielNL said:

I am really tired of the mentality on this forum (not just you Daniel, multiple people in multiple threads) of just telling people to throw money at the Squad performance problem. 

People shouldn't upgrade for an alpha game unless they've got money to burn, and generally people with money to burn wouldn't be running a 4-5 year old processor and budget GPU.

Edited by Psyrus

Posted (edited)

@DanielNLBtw,there is no option for me to further upgrade this potato machine. It used to have an even worse gpu before i put the 1050ti in.

It's one of those rubbish prebuild pc's you buy in a electronics shop.

Edited by oTec

And what exactly limits you to upgrade GPU? (just curious, theory)