Han

Changes to the crewman kit

Changes to the crewman kit  

30 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think should be in the crewman's loadout?

• Knife and bandage
    • Knife, sidearm and bandage
    • Knife, sidearm, binos and bandage
    • Knife, sidearm, grenades, binos and bandage
    • Knife, rifle, sidearm, grenades, binos and bandage (current loadout)
  2. 2. Should crewman have a shovel?

• Yes, they should be able to build stuff
    • No, building isn't what they should be focused on

Personally I think the crewman should be changed to only have a knife, sidearm, bandage and binos. I will break down my reasoning for each part of the kit and why I believe it should or should not be part of their kit:

• Knife - Everyone should have it, it's not really effective but allows someone to technically continue fighting without ammo, at a highly reduced effectiveness.  
  • Bandage - Every soldier should be able to stabilize them self until a medic arrives. 
  • Binos - This allows the crewman to exit the vehicle and spot enemy infantry/vehicle targets for the gunner. I would only use this if very far away from the targets and hopefully in the future the diver can simply open their hatch to peek their head out and use their binos without exiting the vehicle. Until then, this is a good substitute. 
  • Sidearm - Along the lines of the knife, every soldier should be able to defend themselves. A simple handgun allows them to do so, but not so effectively that they can really participate in an infantry squad as infantry. They could kill someone who pushes their location, but they would really want to switch kits if they cannot use their vehicle any longer.
  • Rifle - Crewman do not need this. A rifle makes them too effective and similar to a rifleman kit. If they exit a vehicle, they are essentially just as combat effective as a rifleman, which can make them too likely to abandon a vehicle and continue on as a crewman. Their kits are basically identical, only missing the barbed wire and sandbags I have yet to see people use. A kit used by infantry should have an advantage over the crewman in infantry combat.
  • Grenades - This is similar to the rifle, they just don't need it for their role as a vehicle driver/gunner. 
  • Shovel - Crewman should not be building things, they should be focused on their vehicle. VRS's should be created by the infantry squads at the fob. 

My reasoning for these changes is to lock crewman into a vehicle driver/gunner role, and make them not want to get out of the vehicle. If they do get out of their vehicle, they should be a severely reduced combat effectiveness and want to change kits ASAP. If crewman had less equipment, they would be more likely to "go down with the ship" or drop the vehicle off at main or a fob, so they could change kits. Abandoning vehicles at these places is totally OK in my mind as they are places they can be repaired and other people can spawn there and use them.

4 hours ago, Han said:

Personally I think the crewman should be changed to only have a knife, sidearm, bandage and binos. I will break down my reasoning for each part of the kit and why I believe it should or should not be part of their kit:

• Knife - Everyone should have it, it's not really effective but allows someone to technically continue fighting without ammo, at a highly reduced effectiveness.  
  • Bandage - Every soldier should be able to stabilize them self until a medic arrives. 
  • Binos - This allows the crewman to exit the vehicle and spot enemy infantry/vehicle targets for the gunner. I would only use this if very far away from the targets and hopefully in the future the diver can simply open their hatch to peek their head out and use their binos without exiting the vehicle. Until then, this is a good substitute. 
  • Sidearm - Along the lines of the knife, every soldier should be able to defend themselves. A simple handgun allows them to do so, but not so effectively that they can really participate in an infantry squad as infantry. They could kill someone who pushes their location, but they would really want to switch kits if they cannot use their vehicle any longer.
  • Rifle - Crewman do not need this. A rifle makes them too effective and similar to a rifleman kit. If they exit a vehicle, they are essentially just as combat effective as a rifleman, which can make them too likely to abandon a vehicle and continue on as a crewman. Their kits are basically identical, only missing the barbed wire and sandbags I have yet to see people use. A kit used by infantry should have an advantage over the crewman in infantry combat.
  • Grenades - This is similar to the rifle, they just don't need it for their role as a vehicle driver/gunner. 
  • Shovel - Crewman should not be building things, they should be focused on their vehicle. VRS's should be created by the infantry squads at the fob. 

My reasoning for these changes is to lock crewman into a vehicle driver/gunner role, and make them not want to get out of the vehicle. If they do get out of their vehicle, they should be a severely reduced combat effectiveness and want to change kits ASAP. If crewman had less equipment, they would be more likely to "go down with the ship" or drop the vehicle off at main or a fob, so they could change kits. Abandoning vehicles at these places is totally OK in my mind as they are places they can be repaired and other people can spawn there and use them.

I think they should atleast have a bandage and a rifle , i am not sure how it is in every other army , but here in IDF all tank crewman are issued with a very short version of an m16 ( with a folding stock and a very short barrel ) some times with a red dot or even an acog on it , but mostly iron sights . 

So i think that crewman should have combat effectiveness just like other riflemen ( maybe less in further ranges becuase thier barrels are usually shorter ) 

1 hour ago, L0cation said:

I think they should atleast have a bandage and a rifle , i am not sure how it is in every other army , but here in IDF all tank crewman are issued with a very short version of an m16 ( with a folding stock and a very short barrel ) some times with a red dot or even an acog on it , but mostly iron sights . 

So i think that crewman should have combat effectiveness just like other riflemen ( maybe less in further ranges becuase thier barrels are usually shorter ) 

While I know this is the case in real life, like many things in squad, game play is valued over realism. If removing the serious infantry weapons from crewman make them less likely to abandon vehicles, then I think everyone should be for it.

How often do you see crewman abandoning vehicles to be infantry in your games? You make it sound as if it happens often. I can picture, maybe, an MTLB driver acting as infantry after transporting, but not in any other crewman-vehicle.

The advantage the rifleman kits have over the crewman is their frag grenade and having more than 2 mags for their primary. They also get a 'weaker' gun, or at least the mod-less variation. Sure they have a primary, but they aren't as effective, and do not stay effective if they live long enough to use those 2 mags. Keeping a primary on them, for gameplay reasons, would let the crewman contribute a little something in fights for whatever desperate situation they abandoned their vehicle. The 2 mags punishes them, say, if they dismount from their APC and are temporary infantry (for whatever reason).

Keeping a shovel would let them dig an ammo crate, or repair station for their vehicle, so they can switch roles if they're on foot. The recruit kit received a shovel in an update for that reason, I think the same reason holds up for crewman too.

16 hours ago, Han said:

same opinion but I think crewman should be able to build, repair stations etc. 

Better take out the binoculars and put in the shovel instead.

How much ammo does the rifle have at the moment?

Crewman gets 2 mags.

I agree with removing the smoke grenade.

He doesn't get any frag grenades.

Posted (edited)

All crewmen ,at least in these conventional factions that we currently have get a primary weapon in reality.The primary should have less mags, crewmen shouldn't have nades , binos yeah, bandage of course, knife ? everybody should get a knife!Basically a realistic loadout, no shovels though, crewmen aren't diggers.

Edited by maze2

What primary do crewmen get irl? I don't mind them getting a rifle (or real life equivalent) and having ammo restricted to limit their offensive capabilities. Definitely no grenades. They need a shovel though to make them useful in setting up quick fobs. They also need binos to help them counter the TOW threat. 

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Major Trouble said:

What primary do crewmen get irl? I don't mind them getting a rifle (or real life equivalent) and having ammo restricted to limit their offensive capabilities. Definitely no grenades. They need a shovel though to make them useful in setting up quick fobs. They also need binos to help them counter the TOW threat. 

They usually have a shorter vertio n of the standard issue rifle with less attachments maybe with no scope because they don't need them.

Edited by maze2

45 minutes ago, maze2 said:

They usually have a shorter veraion of the standard issue rifle with less attachments maybe with no scope because they don't need them.

Yes you are right about that.

When i was in the service for the Serbian army i was a driver of a non-combat military vehicle i was driving a truck towing an anti-air system.

And we where issued M-70 ab2 thats a folding stock one so its short and can be placed anywhere in any kind of vehicle.

While the ordenery infantry had normal M-70 with the wooden stock.

Binos are a key tool for every crewman.

Give them a PDW instead of a full rifle / pistol.

Knife / Bandage shold be in every role.

9 minutes ago, Phoenixstorm said:

Binos are a key tool for every crewman.

Give them a PDW instead of a full rifle / pistol.

Knife / Bandage shold be in every role.

No its not since every type of combat vehicle have its own type of periscope infra-red and thermal vision systems even backup systems.

Especially when it comes to tanks.

And as far as non combat vehicles go as thy are non combat ones thy stay away from combat and there for there is no need for binocs or what ever.

The only crew that had binocs was tank commander in ww2 since periscopes was not that good and was not able to zoom in as good.

does it even matter? surely the vehicle they are driving can carry a whole bunch of weapons in storage.

vehicle disabling is confirmed, if it is time to abandon it because it is stuck or damaged you should take enough loadout to keep you and the vehicle safe so it can be recovered.

If you are trapped and know a HAT kit is over the ridge you should get out and kill him with the best weapon you can get your hands on. If the armed forces can afford to give you a $4million vehicle they can probably chuck a few M4s and frag grenades in the storage locker for you.

Binos are a MUST.

YOu park the vehicle behind the ridgeline, and go on foot to the top to scan the horizon with vinos without risking the vehicle and being much harder to spot. 

That´s a tactic that Works in real life and in the game (PR)

Keep in mind the kit will most likely get a m4 carbine or somthing the current m4 is just a place holder I bet as that is what we have atm