DanielNL

rifle projectiles, will they disappear on player death?

How are they currently programmed, when I shoot and my projectile is still in flight when I die, will me projectile vanish mid-air or still arrive AND deal damage?

I've seen very rare cases where people kill eachother, so i'd guess the projectile still flies on. But i am not a dev or expert. :P

Until they test it (in server super slow-motion mode for example), I'm sure projectiles deal no damage or even disappear in the air upon player death.

20 hours ago, DanielNL said:

Until they test it (in server super slow-motion mode for example), I'm sure projectiles deal no damage or even disappear in the air upon player death.

No you sometimes you can die at the same time. How do you know? You have a fight in CQC, and you call out a enemy after you die, friendly checks the place soon after to find him dead

"sometimes". Meaning possible the server code was between execution of bullet-hit-target and bullet-deal-damage (if projectiles hit both opponents at same time), but if projectile is in flight, it could be it does not deal damage upon impact if shooter is dead already before projectile hits target.

well.... i think they not disappear ...

when i play as APC and someone is shooting RPG from far away . i manage to kill the shooter but the RPG rocket is still flying and dealing damage 

17 hours ago, DanielNL said:

"sometimes". Meaning possible the server code was between execution of bullet-hit-target and bullet-deal-damage (if projectiles hit both opponents at same time), but if projectile is in flight, it could be it does not deal damage upon impact if shooter is dead already before projectile hits target.

Sometimes also meaning quite sometimes people will die before they even fire a single round

Well it has happened a few times now that I fire, I hear my gunshot sound but my bullet seems to not have left the barrel or dealt damage. (Maybe gunshot sound is played before bullet physics start creating the flying bullet? Or due to ping reasons it isn't possible for bullet to leave barrel when I hear my gunshot sound but server already sent me the information that the other guy killed me already?)

trading in close quarters is not uncommon at all. The bullet, grenade or whatever carries on when fired, it is only in PUBG eg. that bullets are tied to the player model for gameplay reasons. grenades used to be in squad, but they fixed it so the nade wouldnt dissapear when you give up. (not incapacitated).

Often trade in cqc, and as @virusman states with the rpg example, i've had that happen to me aswel. Nothing is better then killing a lat and then watching that thing fly right in your face when he panic fires it towards you.

I got shoot while firing an rpg and i hear a hit so i guess it keeps going.

Don't forget, RPG projectile is different programming than bullets

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, DanielNL said:

Don't forget, RPG projectile is different programming than bullets

not really. id imagine they inherit from some common "projectile" class.

Edited by Randall172

Posted (edited)

I doubt there are actually bullet objects "in-flight" anywhere ever. Except tracers which are for shows only, but probably are more of a special effect than an actual object taking up space. I'd simply expect that a trajectory using trigonometry is calculated and the impact consists of the bullet trajectory crossing the plane of the player or dirt or whatever at a certain point in time. It would be too expensive too actually simulate thousands of invisible objects flying around. I would say it would be a simple programming decision to rid or not rid bullets after player death. As such I believe programmers decided player death shouldn't affect bullet calculations, although bullets are fast so I would expect it to be a very limited problem anyhow. RPGs might be another story because they are both rare, slow and visible. 

Edited by SpecialAgentJohnson

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Randall172 said:

not really. id imagine they inherit from some common "projectile" class.

No. Most likely they don't inherit from some projectile class. @DanielNL is probably right. 

Edited by SpecialAgentJohnson

On 5/5/2018 at 12:44 PM, DanielNL said:

How are they currently programmed, when I shoot and my projectile is still in flight when I die, will me projectile vanish mid-air or still arrive AND deal damage?

Checked with QA -- projectiles remain and do their thing. As of v11, corpses should disappear after a bit though.

1 hour ago, DanielNL said:

"corpses should disappear" ? I dont understand what this is related to, elaborate please?

• Soldier bodies now despawn from the game world when the owning player respawns, greatly cleaning up the number of expensive dead bodies on the field. (Main bases now require a 30 second spawn time to ensure that the killer has a chance to verify the kill)

with so much kill trading I very much doubt the bullets are disappearing. could be bleed out I guess...

most close quarters battles seem to end with both ppl dead.