YuriIsLoveYuriIsLife

Is it possible to instill the mentality of IFV's for IFV exclusive squads?

keep it free and open. Let the SL's sort it out.

next thread...

Yeah keep it up to SLs and the team to sort it out, if dedicated IFVs/APCs squads will become a regular thing, because they are more effective so be it. But until MBTs arrive i think we will see a lot of combined squads. Just give us a little more communication options and it will be fine. Like local voice being louder in vehicles, or dedicated inside vehicle channel, or reducing squad comm sounds ingame via a button temporarily without going through the ingame menu.

I was part of a Mech squad using a Warrior, and while it was fun and nice to use in support of infantry to move them around and such, communicating with my gunner was absolute dog shit. Between the SL barking orders at the infantry, the gunner shooting and the loud as hell vehicle, it made it really hard to effectively talk or listen to the gunner. You're talking a lot so using squad chat isn't an option as that disrupts communication for those outside, but at the same time using prox chat isn't useful either.

Would love for crew to get some sort of intercomm FX while using prox chat like you get using ACE in arma3. Those in crew positions get the FX while those in transport positions sound like they would using prox chat. And maybe even have it automatically lower any other chatter going on.

I can see both methods being used. Having dedicated squads for heavy assets and having them being integrated into a full squad. But something needs to be done so they can communicate more efficiently. 

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Chompster said:

I was part of a Mech squad using a Warrior, and while it was fun and nice to use in support of infantry to move them around and such, communicating with my gunner was absolute dog shit. Between the SL barking orders at the infantry, the gunner shooting and the loud as hell vehicle, it made it really hard to effectively talk or listen to the gunner. You're talking a lot so using squad chat isn't an option as that disrupts communication for those outside, but at the same time using prox chat isn't useful either.

Have you looked at your audio settings.  A lot can be done with levels of effects & voip channels.

Basically I have local voip at 200%, squad at 150% and effects something like 70%... basically i can always hear local well, its important to me.

I think these settings are very important, tweak them so they work for you..  

Edited by Tommy

On 5/6/2018 at 9:00 AM, Rybec said:

All the losers that make APC squads never use them for transport. They may as well not seat anyone.

Im sick to death of this opinion. APCs in real life, and in literally every video game ever from the most rigorous simulation to the most unrealistic are used as fire support and interdiction as well as transporting infantry. And here's the thing - transporting infantry in Squad is not often necessary or even intelligent; because almost all of infantry maneuver in the game is done via HAB building.

The reason why APCs have a bunch of room for dudes in real life is because the infantry have to actually get to the battle. THere is no such requirement in Squad when you can construct spawn points at the foot of the objective. Once actually in combat the infantry dismount, and fight alongside the armour in a mutually supportive manner. This is not unlike how in Squad, infantry squads will spawn in HABs near an objective and the APCs will sit behind these infantry while they advance.

Like, look at these vehicles

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M3_Bradley

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coyote_Reconnaissance_Vehicle

They're just IFVs/APCs with better recon equipment and no ability to transport infantry because hey, commanders realized that the vehicles are completely effective in the role of interdiction/recon.

There is nothing stupid about not using an APC for transport in Squad.

In mech squad, would it not be better og the SL stayed in the vehicle, maybe as gunner since that spot gives good overview?

The dismounts could then have their own team leader.

This way, the vehicle gets the radio traffic directly, and the dismounts only need to worry about whats going on at their location.

4 hours ago, 40mmrain said:

There is nothing stupid about not using an APC for transport in Squad.

Some maps we currently have are far too large to cross on foot in a reasonable time.

You have three options available.

1. Run on foot
  2. Take truck with your squad
  3. Hitch a ride with armor

Running works but you'll take ten minutes of running to get to where you need to be.

Taking a truck works even better but if you get killed while dismounted that truck is far out of reach.

Riding with an APC is just as effective as taking a truck but even better since it can help when you're at your destination.

Your attitude with assets like an APC are what kills the concept of squad. People going off and doing their own thing in a team game is absolutely less desirable than playing together regardless if whether their playing in solitude wins the match or not.

On 5/5/2018 at 11:43 AM, Engagedrook8 said:

Even so, being in an infantry squad with a lot of chatter can be confusing for crewmen and mean that the vehicles are not operated as they should be.

This is something i can agree with. 

17 hours ago, Rybec said:

Some maps we currently have are far too large to cross on foot in a reasonable time.

You have three options available.

1. Run on foot
  2. Take truck with your squad
  3. Hitch a ride with armor

Running works but you'll take ten minutes of running to get to where you need to be.

Taking a truck works even better but if you get killed while dismounted that truck is far out of reach.

Riding with an APC is just as effective as taking a truck but even better since it can help when you're at your destination.

Your attitude with assets like an APC are what kills the concept of squad. People going off and doing their own thing in a team game is absolutely less desirable than playing together regardless if whether their playing in solitude wins the match or not.

Glad you ignored my entire argument that transportation in squad is rarely important or ideal because of habs. 

The new design direction with crewman kit requirements, etc. are obviously intended to nudge players to keep heavy vehicles (eg, Bradley) separatedfrom an infantry squad, as it should be. IFVs are not organic to fireteams. You'll notice most of the more serious servers also restrict heavy assets to appropriately named squads as well, not a free-for-all.

If you've ever played Project Reality you'll understand this point and it comes as no surprise. If you've only played vanilla BF or CS series games this will likely come as a shock and as an adjustment.  Teamwork is required... horror of horrors!

You will have to talk to and communicate with armored elements as well as other squad leaders to succeed on the battlefield as this game shapes up to be more involved and complex with upcoming game mode, flag, ticket changes, etc. and as more and more assets are introduced.

22 hours ago, 40mmrain said:

Glad you ignored my entire argument that transportation in squad is rarely important or ideal because of habs. 

Habs are great when the entire match takes place between two flags.