Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I'm in the market for a new laptop and am contemplating spending an extra couple of hundred dollars on the new i7-8750h over the i7-7700hq. From reviews I've read there's isn't a huge difference between the two for most games. In saying that, Squad is somewhat reliant on CPU.

 

• Do I spend $200 - $300USD more and get the i7-8750h over the i7-7700hq?

 

Specs;

1060 6gb

256gb SSD

16gb RAM

1080P

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Based on admittedly imperfect web based performance testing:

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-8750H-vs-Intel-Core-i7-7700HQ/m470418vsm211019

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-Core-i7-8750H-vs-Intel-Core-i7-7700HQ/3237vs2906

 

The 8750h seems to have about a 15-19% single-threaded performance lead (could be due to the higher turbo clock speed of 4.1ghz vs the 3.8ghz on the 7700hq, but that's only 7% so probably an IPC bump as well). 

 

For the majority of games, you shouldn't see much performance difference between them, but at least for now in Squad, single-threaded performance reigns supreme. 

 

I don't know anything about your living circumstances so I'm not sure if $200-300 extra outlay is a good value proposition for you for something that may net around 10 more FPS?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Psyrus said:

Based on admittedly imperfect web based performance testing:

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-8750H-vs-Intel-Core-i7-7700HQ/m470418vsm211019

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-Core-i7-8750H-vs-Intel-Core-i7-7700HQ/3237vs2906

 

The 8750h seems to have about a 15-19% single-threaded performance lead (could be due to the higher turbo clock speed of 4.1ghz vs the 3.8ghz on the 7700hq, but that's only 7% so probably an IPC bump as well). 

 

For the majority of games, you shouldn't see much performance difference between them, but at least for now in Squad, single-threaded performance reigns supreme. 

 

I don't know anything about your living circumstances so I'm not sure if $200-300 extra outlay is a good value proposition for you for something that may net around 10 more FPS?

I'm secretly Batman, but don't tell anyone.

 

Thanks for your input. My thoughts are in the current state it would make a difference, long term hopefully not. I suppose it all comes back to how long it will take for the devs address the performance issues or establish that the game requires a higher spec system than originally anticipated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, [email protected] said:

I'm in the market for a new laptop and am contemplating spending an extra couple of hundred dollars on the new i7-8750h over the i7-7700hq. From reviews I've read there's isn't a huge difference between the two for most games. In saying that, Squad is somewhat reliant on CPU.

 

• Do I spend $200 - $300USD more and get the i7-8750h over the i7-7700hq?

 

Specs;

1060 6gb

256gb SSD

16gb RAM

1080P

 

Yes what you read is correct indeed, im pretty sure coffee lake mobile cpus were only such a big deal to low end and content creators

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, [email protected] said:

how long it will take for the devs address the performance issues or establish that the game requires a higher spec system than originally anticipated

To be fair the devs improved the performance a lot with v11 (that's how it goes... content/systems release -> optimization -> content/systems -> optimization etc)

 

Also the "originally anticipated" phrasing is interesting, what made you choose those terms?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Psyrus said:

To be fair the devs improved the performance a lot with v11 (that's how it goes... content/systems release -> optimization -> content/systems -> optimization etc)

 

Also the "originally anticipated" phrasing is interesting, what made you choose those terms?

Just seems like the min specs may change that's all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

Just seems like the min specs may change that's all

UE4 is a learning curve for many devs programming on it so there is probably a lot of truth in your statement. Trying to make a judgment on a game in alpha on a new engine is both for us and the devs a difficult one. Future optimization may not bring the gains the devs are expecting so that minimum may not deliver the experience that was planned. With that in mind and the fact laptops are notoriously difficult to upgrade I'd go with the best cpu/gpu combo you can reasonably afford.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep in mind that laptops often have thermal issues so the CPU throttles anyway. I mean there is no sense in buying a 8750 if it cant really hold its boost because of a bad cooler. Would make no big difference to a well cooled 7700hq 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cheese said:

Keep in mind that laptops often have thermal issues so the CPU throttles anyway. I mean there is no sense in buying a 8750 if it cant really hold its boost because of a bad cooler. Would make no big difference to a well cooled 7700hq 

Very true. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×