Posted (edited)

Hello my fellow squaddies and maybe devs,

Like stated in the title, I have kind of a silly idea about the TOW-Missile. I see it quite often used against infantry (at least atm) which would in real life just never happen(mostly because it is just to expensive). Any other game would just reduce the splash radius but i think that would be super stupid. I would rather suggest giving the TOW missle 3-5 Tickets. This would have two benefits:

First of all the TOW is currently quite strong against vics, what is good but also an very easy kill. So the "less" skill/teamwork based kill would give you less of an ticket advantage over the vic-vic combat or the AT infantry.

Secondly it would really make you think on what to shoot it at -> shooting at infantry would definitly be no choice anymore, also depending on the tickets the lower tier vehicles.

That is just an idea and I know there will be some people who are totally against it. But atm without thinking to much about it it seems like a really cool thing for me... Feel free to discuss it. I mean I am very open to critism and to the flaws of this.

Edited by Para94
adjusted the title to represent the content

1 hour ago, Para94 said:

I see it quite often used against infantry (at least atm) which would in real life just never happen(mostly because it is just to expensive).

Oh my goodness, how have you missed all of the hundreds of videos of FSA using TOWs on infantry?

besides the fact that yeah the ATGMs attacking infantry is nothing extraordinary, there's already a resource in the game for adjusting emplacement, the ammo counter. If each missile costs 250 of those red bullets people wont waste them.

I like where you're coming from Para! I always give it the "blueberry" test though. If you think it passes the blueberry test then maybe its a good idea :P

Yeah, I think the ammo cost is the best way to handle limiting TOW spam.

Costs associated with defense/weapon employment is generally abstracted in Squad by the supply/ammo logistics. If TOWs are too common, it means that they are not expensive enough to build or fire, which is an easy problem to solve. This is exactly what happened with mortars. When they were first implemented they were very cheap and so every team built 4+ mortars and had them continuously firing. Now you can barely have a single mortar due to the logistics requirements. TOWs will probably be balanced the same way.

Well tow type systems are made to be easy to use and one shot vehicles its just like that in real life.Especially on flat ground terrain.

No need to make it cost tickets just make it cost ammo a lot and thats that.

11 minutes ago, Bahrein said:

Well tow type systems are made to be easy to use and one shot vehicles its just like that in real life.Especially on flat ground terrain.

No need to make it cost tickets just make it cost ammo a lot and thats that.

yeah I know what they are made for and why they exist. But this is still a game and stuff should be adapted to make it more enjoyable. I know the ammo is for balancing that. But I mean you can just place it kind of close to main on a hill on certain maps and have logi runs for it. And also with one run you get 8 shots(so can easily kill 4 amoredvehics and a few infantry/+ you need just very minimal skill to use it (like in real life i know). 

I thought giving it tickets would balance it against the more teambased ways to take vics out... Also I mean it wasnt a really thought through I just thought it might be cool. 
But yeah I get where you are coming from :) maybe make it to 500 per missile and/or make it so it costs ammo as well to build it(thats sth I really dont get why they havent done that yet for every emplacment. or at least have them empty after the building.) I mean you litrally get a shot for free just by building it  

Don't forget you have counters to TOWs as well. No piece of military equipment is without a weakness. One of the reasons Squad is so great is it forces everyone to work together. If you're having problems with a TOW emplacement, the solution is to use non-vehicle solutions like marksmen, mortar fire, suppressive fire from machine guns/infantry, etc. Where I come from we like to say, "teamwork is OP."

18 hours ago, Para94 said:

I would rather suggest giving the TOW missle 3-5 Tickets.

So every TOW shot will cost the team 3-5 in tickets? 

Eh...No...

10 minutes ago, CptDirty said:

So every TOW shot will cost the team 3-5 in tickets? 

Eh...No...

Maybe we can make it that rearming expensive weapons like the TOW would cost alot of ammo , like ALOT ?

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, L0cation said:

Maybe we can make it that rearming expensive weapons like the TOW would cost alot of ammo , like ALOT ?

Yeah that's fine imo

+1 

So it takes like 4 LAT/RPG shots to kill an armored? 100x4=400 ammo. So make each TOW cost 400 ammo. Done! 

Edited by CptDirty

7 hours ago, CptDirty said:

So it takes like 4 LAT/RPG shots to kill an armored? 100x4=400 ammo. So make each TOW cost 400 ammo. Done! 

Wouldn't be that off either. Those missile are tens of thousands of dollars each and that's not even counting the actual tripod/launcher/FCS.

Does a TOW rearm supply 8x missiles? Judging how effective they are that sounds a lot. Maybe a rearm should just give 3x or 4x missiles so players are a bit more choosy about their targets. You won't see many 1x round HAT players targeting infantry. 

Posted (edited)

tickets  no   ammo yes... but a lot of ammo 50 to 100 pts of ammo ..havent played it enough to judge its effectiveness especially on hilly terrain... but imo if you are getting close enough with a btr or stryker etc to get hit with TOW easily, your using vehicles incorrectly.

Spawn on vehicle needs increased or limit them to 1 or two per match so they are actually looked after ..

Edited by embecmom

4 hours ago, embecmom said:

tickets  no   ammo yes... but a lot of ammo 50 to 100 pts of ammo ..havent played it enough to judge its effectiveness especially on hilly terrain... but imo if you are getting close enough with a btr or stryker etc to get hit with TOW easily, your using vehicles incorrectly.

Spawn on vehicle needs increased or limit them to 1 or two per match so they are actually looked after ..

Close enough is within 1500m(tows max range) for example on kohat. And yes there are ways how not to get hit but what I am doing on the Russian side atm is taken three guys and a logi and place a tow somewhere on a hill with eyes on radio, Malak Abad and the southern roads. Two are spotters one is on the tow. We after we shot the first wave of Bradleys we reposition and wait until the move in again. Everything with 1 50/50 logi. 

If we would do it with ammo I would go at least to 500-750 per rocket including the first one you usually get for free. Why? Because you need to be really bad when you aren't hitting. At least atm. Like on normal rockets you still have to judge the distance, zero it properly in. With the tow you just need to hold a cross hair onto a vehicle which my grandma could do who never had a pc. 

Posted (edited)

And if you let the btr/stryker to get close enough you are using it incorrectly. Certainly it is harder on some maps than on others but it is very effective on Kohat, yehorivka and fools road if you know where to place them... Oh yes and mestia as well. And that is only where I've tested them

Edited by Para94