Sign in to follow this  
Globul Potato

Suggestion- Friends Group Server Joining

The problem-

Playing with your lads is undisputably better than with random squad members. They might not know the language, not follow orders, they would prefer to rush when you try to backcap, etc, etc. Point is- Squad is more fun and you're more effective with people you know. But its unnecessary hard to get together into one squad. Balancing means that usually half of you is on one side, half on the other and you have to play for the enemy while you wait till someone leaves so you can switch teams. Its a pain in the ass. This was talked about before but i think My way is more resonable than premade squad joining, squad prefixes joining and others. Plus the  idea is more fleshed out. I actually thought about it instead of just going "Make it so i can play with my lads easier. Do it, no matter how"

Solution- Searching for a server as a group.  How i imagine it should look like?

1.  You and your lads turn on Squad (Obviously)

2. There's an additional tab in the main menu- "Create Group"- One of you clicks it

3. He then invites the other ones via the Steam friends list. Simmiliar to how CSGO operates.

4. When the group is created and everyone is in- He then proceeds to search for a server for all of you through the regular search engine

5a) He finds a server with enough room for all of you. He clicks it, it automatically joins the whole group

5b) He finds a server with not enough room for all of you. He clicks it, he gets the prompt- "Server has not enough room for the whole group. 4 of you will be transfered to the queue. Continue? Yes/No " (That explains itself, if there's not enough room, the "overfill" will simply be transfered to queue. Determined by the order of jojning group)

6. You enter the server.

From here its the same as now. One of you creates a squad, the rest joins him, you play and have fun. I dont want any premade squads, or forcing the group to join on the same side. Its simply not needed.  Only change that has to be made at this point is laxing the balancing a bit. Squad is a tactical game, there's really no clear advatage when you have 35 or 40 players on your side. I think it should be moved from difference of 2 men to 4. Even if you dont want to implement "Group joining", balancing change  would greatly improve the organsed group experience. Why not difference of 9, or no balancing at all? Becouse while a pain in the ass, it still is needed and i find 4-5 to be the golden number- not enough to make a big difference, enough to be a self sustainable fireteam. It would greatly improve quality of living when you want to play with the lads.

If you think about it, it could even improve the whole squad experience- more cohesive units with better cooperation between its members equal generally better gameplay. It wouldnt hurt to try, only thing you're changing for those that dont want to use it is a bit higher balance window than before.

(I made an account here just to write this)

Regards, Globul Potato.

Edited by Globul Potato

On 4/27/2018 at 1:58 PM, embecmom said:

y not just find a half full server and join it and tell all your mates on discord?

Because usually there's a reason a server is "half-full"

11 hours ago, Hunchback said:

Because usually there's a reason a server is "half-full"

then your not getting on the other servers so a waste of time building this no?

Thank you for the feedback!

While I don't believe we're currently working on that specifically, it is an oft-requested feature and something that may happen, though potentially after the 1.0 release. There's some on-going UX work that should help as well (you've seen some of it roll out in the menus already), but in the meantime, you can join on friends via Steam -- though, yeah, not perfect.

We can definitely see the utility in it, the enjoyment of playing with friends seamlessly, and, well, squad cohesion. The other side of that is concerns about team-stacking, but mechanics can always be tweaked, or admin tools to help keep things even.