Tommy

RAM upgrade advice sought please.

Posted (edited)

Hi all, admittedly this is not directly related to Squad, but I'd love a little advice on a hardware question on my gaming rig if possible.  

My rig is ageing, but ageing well IMO.  

CPU: i5 3570K oc to 4.4Ghz (water cooled)

RAM: 8.00GB DDR3 (1600)

Motherboard:  ASUS P8Z77-V (LGA1155)

GPU: GTX 780 (EVGA) 3071MB

238GB Samsung SSD 840 PRO

42' TOSHIBA-TV ([email protected])

My options to upgrade are limited, money is too tight for a complete upgrade right now, which would be ideal.  

So I'm considering getting some extra RAM, but it has some considerations.  Is it worth it?  Would i be better putting the money towards a future complete upgrade instead?  Will it extend the life of my rig as a decent gaming PC?  I'm really struggling to answer these....

Considering that....Not having enough RAM can be a big issue but having more than is needed does nothing to improve performance.

My options are:

£150 to get Corsair CMY16GX3M2A2400C11R Vengeance Pro Series 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 2400Mhz CL11 XMP  - Red

£100 to get CMZ16GX3M2A1600C9 -  CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 DDR3 1600 

This is my present RAM is:  CMZ8GX3M2X1600C7 - Corsair Vengeance DDR3 PC12800/1600MHz CL7 2x4GB

I don't know what to do... I really don't want to waste my money.  My knowledge on the finer points of RAM spec is limited.. I'd have to re oc my rig, that's gonna be a bit of a pain as the utility for the board to do it easily does not work with Win10.... I'm old and oc knowledge is very rusty! 

But on the flip side I'd spend a £150 in a heart beat if it propped up my rig for another year or two! Will going to 16GB @2200 from [email protected] be significant?

I know its all a bit subjective... but I'd love some advice!  What would you do?

Thanks

Tommy out.

Edited by Tommy
typo

On 4/25/2018 at 10:41 AM, Tommy said:

8.00GB DDR3 (1600)

Get another one of these, even second hand for the budget upgrade - you will notice the difference in Squad.

Or put the money towards a complete new system, whilst decent your rig is becoming pretty outdated to play demanding alphas at reasonable/high FPS!

On 02/05/2018 at 6:57 PM, SHO-SHIN said:

Get another one of these, even second hand for the budget upgrade - you will notice the difference in Squad.

Or put the money towards a complete new system, whilst decent your rig is becoming pretty outdated to play demanding alphas at reasonable/high FPS!

Cheer for the input, appreciated.  I'm on the fence.

Don't waste your money on buying new DDR3 RAM, either get another used 8GB stick as cheap as possible or don't buy anything at all.

19 hours ago, Tommy said:

Cheer for the input, appreciated.  I'm on the fence.

I just read and saw you have 2x4GB sticks, so replace one with an 8GB and you should see a real difference, for the money.

IMO if you want performance in demanding titles it's time for a new rig, so get saving! Trade, beg, borrow and steal man!

4 hours ago, Major Trouble said:

@SHO-SHINWhy replace? He has 4x dimm slots. Just add another 2x 4gb ddr3 sticks. Found these on ebay. 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F282954468079

16gb is the sweet spot these days especially with early access alpha titles. 

fair enough, I didn't check - I always felt 2 x sticks for dual channel CPU/Motherboards would be a bit better, re channel throughput but i must say I havn't tested or seen any benchmarks.

I am considering 6 core, quad channel for my next build..............

@SHO-SHIN My understanding is the ddr3 boards only worked in dual channel. One pair of matching dimms working together and the second pair working together. It wasn't until ddr4 boards we got quad channel which isn't of that much benefit in gaming anyway. Not sure if a pair of dimms 1x 4gb and the other 1x 8gb would even be able to use dual channel mode. I've only ever used matching dimms.

Hence why I think spending on the ebay link might be his best option. Besides he can sell his pc with 16gb of memory later anyway.

On 6.5.2018 at 5:48 PM, Major Trouble said:

@SHO-SHIN My understanding is the ddr3 boards only worked in dual channel. One pair of matching dimms working together and the second pair working together. It wasn't until ddr4 boards we got quad channel which isn't of that much benefit in gaming anyway. Not sure if a pair of dimms 1x 4gb and the other 1x 8gb would even be able to use dual channel mode. I've only ever used matching dimms.

Hence why I think spending on the ebay link might be his best option. Besides he can sell his pc with 16gb of memory later anyway.

Dual/Tripple/Quad/Hexa/Octochannel is not bound to DRAM generation, its dependent on Memorycontroller setup in the CPU and Chipset 

for example:

• Nforce 2 DDR = Dualchannel possible
  • P35= DDR2/DDR3 = Dualchannel possible
  • X58 DDR3 = Triplechannel possible
  • X79 DDR3 = Quadchannel possible
  • Z370 DDR4 = Dualchannel possible
  • X299 DDR4 = Dualchannel with Kabylakle X , Quadchannel with Skylake X

To the Topic starter , since you are on a buget get the cheapest used 2x4Gb DDR 3 1600 you can get ( 2x4GB sticks tend to be cheaper the 1x8GB stick )