Sign in to follow this  
Jasonb

Bad FPS on good systems

Posted (edited)

Ok, firstly, if this topic has already been posted somewhere, I apologise and I'd gladly contribute my information to an already existing topic.

Now, secondly, the issue, which isn't just experienced by myself. I was recently talking to someone on the Squad Mod Discord who is experiencing the same issues as me, this person has an almost identical rig as myself.

Me:

GeForce GTX 1080

Driver: 390.77

AMD Ryzen 7 1700X

32GB DDR4 RAM

1920x1080, 60hz

Him:

GeForce GTX 1080

Driver: Unknown

AMD Ryzen 7 1700

16GB DDR4 RAM

xxxx

The problem:

Whenever I start off the map, even when everyone has spawned at the main base, I get an easy 70+FPS. However, the moment I leave the main spawn base, my FPS drops to 20-25. Both him and I checked our GPUs and we only use about 25-30% of our GPU. Hence, our GPUs should be more than capable. It has very much so in the past! 

These problems, which I only (oddly) had on Al Bashra on previous versions, seem to be rather common on V10.2 now.

In addition: for some reason Fool's Road and Operation First Light run better than other maps.

I've changed the graphics settings, had everything on low. However, it doesn't make a difference whatsoever. The same FPS and problems occur on both low and high graphic settings.

Either way, I'd be more than happy to supply any additional information that will help the developers fix this issue.

Take care.

Edited by Jasonb
Extra information

V10 was a content/systems release, which means optimization took a hit and your FPS suffer due to it. The issue is on the CPU side.

Your CPUs are by no means bad at all, and I'm actually really surprised that it dips down as far as 20-25fps... Is that only on the v10+ Basrah or all maps? 

As you can see, this guy also had a decently powerful PC but was getting frame drops... I think it was his Windows Power settings related (although I can't read that language, but it looks similar to the english power options menu)

10 hours ago, CashDaddy305 said:

What FPS where you getting before v10? 

It really depends. On V9 Al Bashra also was particularly jittery, but not as bad as V10. In general I'd say at least 10-15fps higher on average.

9 hours ago, Psyrus said:

V10 was a content/systems release, which means optimization took a hit and your FPS suffer due to it. The issue is on the CPU side.

Your CPUs are by no means bad at all, and I'm actually really surprised that it dips down as far as 20-25fps... Is that only on the v10+ Basrah or all maps? 

As you can see, this guy also had a decently powerful PC but was getting frame drops... I think it was his Windows Power settings related (although I can't read that language, but it looks similar to the english power options menu)

It's particularly bad on Al Bashra V10, but it's pretty much the same everywhere else.

Also, I've just checked my power settings. They're set to 'High Performance'.

10 hours ago, Psyrus said:

Yeah, i still got the problems, anyways, its a software problems, i'm pretty sure. 

But i think they wont fix it. 

18 minutes ago, Fredo said:

But i think they wont fix it. 

The game is still in Alpha and other games running the same engine as Squad have smoothed things out. So I'm sure that they'll too. It's just a matter of giving them feedback.

8 minutes ago, Jasonb said:

The game is still in Alpha and other games running the same engine as Squad have smoothed things out. So I'm sure that they'll too. It's just a matter of giving them feedback.

Yeah sure, i know that.. but people had this problems already 2 months ago.. 

Please fix the fps drop we dont need atgm ,tank and jet. just FIX this problem the game is unplayable 

5 hours ago, Fredo said:

Longer than that.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Fredo said:

People have had FPS issues on low IPC cpus since 2016, but through the various optimization patches that came out even AMD FX users were able to play at reasonable fps for a short time before the next content releases. 

It's how software development works... when you take part in the alpha stage, it's going to be buggy and unoptimized. If you want the "best performance" version of squad (or other games), I suggest taking a break from Alphas/early access as what you have done is basically paid to be a tester. 

And people bitch about "oh but it's been in alpha for over 2 years already"... Different game but God of War's director said they'd been working on it for 5 years up to the release date. Good games take time to make, if anyone thinks they can do better, feel free to jump in the market and give it a go. 

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2018/04/god_of_war_director_reacts_to_gushing_reviews

Edited by Psyrus

My pc is:

i7 7700k 4.8GHz no hyperthread
gtx1080
16gb ddr4 3000MHz
I play on a g-sync monitor 3440x1440 100Hz

Before v10 i have always more than 100fps with all medium, distance on maximum and antialiasing maximum.

Now on v10 i have all an minimum , distance on maximum and antialiasing maximum. The problem is when i continue play, i begin with 80/140fps (depending the map) with gpu load on 50% and after 15min i'm on 30/50fps with gpu load on 34%.... When the server change map it begin with maximum fps and drop after few minutes....

I don't know why...........

(sorry for my bad english...)

Update: I only got those drops on servers with many people on it, otherwise it stays at high fps.

Posted (edited)
On 24.4.2018 at 9:09 PM, =VaSh= said:

Please fix the fps drop we dont need atgm ,tank and jet. just FIX this problem the game is unplayable 

I hate being the guy that shares the bad news but no optimization is going to fix your fps with a core 2 quad q9550 and a gtx 750ti.

This game is 2018 pre-alpha and your hardware is from 2014 :( And not only is it 2014, its VERY-LOW-END-2014-ti :((((

And yes i know, its good enough to run gta 5 (aka da best luking gaem ever) at 60 fps, but gta 5 is a console game from 2013.

Not the best PC here but having no issues with optimization, runs just as good/bad as any other UE4 game.

SORRY BRO, i feel you man i really do. But you cant blame the game - its your pc.

Edit: Theres some very low end builds on youtube with that exact same specs, please tell me you didnt just build that.

I mean if you did: Good job man im sure that was hard as hell, but sadly its too weak for this particular pre alpha game. Basically any UE4 game will be horrible for you may be except for fortnite.

Try to apply the "low" preset my dude and then see what youve got, from there try to change some settings but the preset (used to, not sure of todays build) gets rid of post processing effects that really eat a lot of your fps. May be that helps a little bit. I would not count on it though.

Also, while squad is still in development if you want to try a similar game that your system can run and that is also fun try out Project Reality (if you didnt know that yet). It`s free and just a small download file but plenty of awesome people and possibilities. 100% worth a try if you like squad. ( www.realitymod.com )

I played that damn game for more than 10 years, dont judge by the graphics. It`s basically squad with ten times more content, maps, factions, vehicles, etc but a very old engine that just cant keep up with the game anymore.

All the best

Edited by Chew_Kok_Long

On 24-4-2018 at 9:09 PM, =VaSh= said:

This is not how it works. Just skip the alpha and come back when all the content is in, and hop on the beta. In the beta stage real optimisation can take place.