Posted (edited)

TLDR: defenses IRL most likely turn into swiss cheese pretty quickly in modern combat. Solid built defenses are fun to build, but without a strong team structure, they also turn into swiss cheese. Not a problem

Hi all,

Can someone please explain the usefulness of deployables? Sure, they "look cool" but in the end, they are absolutely useless.

Currently, I only see see them as a situational soft counter vs. vehicles AT BEST.  A stationary HMG or AT (regardless of faction) is silenced within 10-15 seconds of firing.  Will a scope in v11 really fix that?  

Another issue: Spending 15-45 minutes building up a cache or flag is completely negated by 5 minutes of concentrated mortar fire. 

While I've seen SUPERFOBS win or hold out for over 30 min on pub servers, that's because the attacking side lacks any sort of teamwork. 

I can't imagine anything other than a HAB + mortars are used in competitive clan matches. (I only pub so i can only ask)

My question: When will deployable weapons be useful against attacking teams (especially if they even have half a brain and  using a dedicated logi?)  (Ex. would anyone here ACTUALLY USE a deployable 50 cal, even with a "scope"? (the effects look fantastic, but are usually silenced rather quickly when a squad of attackers return laser point fire while you fire at them)

Edited by Gammazeta430

"Deployables are useless" That is not truth because better to have some shield than not have.  

As in real defences dont save against snipers/marksmans. I created a thread may be 1 year ago, where was asking to introduce in gane some static Scopes emplacements. That is really simple to make and add in game and that would help to spectate area and find snipers.

And yes, those sandbags can be destroyed by mortar fire, unfortunately this is the truth of life with which you have to put up. But you can use barrels, wooden logs, Hesco etc

What about barbwire that is the most usefull thing to slow enemy's advancing, and they would waste granades or time to destroy it.

HMGs, especcially, DShkms are  really vulnerable. I would advice to devs to refresh defences set for Militia and Insurgent. If you would see at some fortifications in Syraa, Ukraine war, they provide more safe for defenders.

I see the trouble with HMGs / SPG and such like (not the bunkered ones though) is that once they're set you can't move them. I'd like to see the ability to pack up the gun and move it.

you not wrong ... but you not right also .

some people LOVE super fobing .

and super fob with mortars is always good a a defended spawn point 

Posted (edited)

I think the addition of scoped, fixed HMGs and TOWs will make FOBs more dangerous for inf and vehicles as their effective engagement distance vastly improves. Marksmen and mortars are still a problem of course but i think they should be. Countering both requires teamwork (mortars more on a teamlevel and marksmen more on the squad level) as does the successfull attack on such a FOB. I like the idea of OXOTHNK to add deployable scopes etc. but even without they will be really dangerous with a capable squadleader. Scoped HMGs will be a pain in the ass, mark my words :D

Edited by Rook

16 hours ago, Gammazeta430 said:

When will deployable weapons be useful against attacking teams

Only when you want to cover a narrow line of sight angle the enemy is most likely to pass through. This can be as short as an entry point to a building (Refinery warehouse on Basrah) or long as an entire valley (Mohd Zai on Kohat).

With the addition of optics it's going to be fkin deadly for these long range engagements even as a suppression mechanic to allow friendlies to move in. Imagine those paired with a 30mm armored / mortars it's going to be the dream support-by-fire FOB. 

On 22/04/2018 at 6:11 PM, CptDirty said:

Only when you want to cover a narrow line of sight angle the enemy is most likely to pass through. This can be as short as an entry point to a building (Refinery warehouse on Basrah) or long as an entire valley (Mohd Zai on Kohat).

With the addition of optics it's going to be fkin deadly for these long range engagements even as a suppression mechanic to allow friendlies to move in. Imagine those paired with a 30mm armored / mortars it's going to be the dream support-by-fire FOB. 

with a 30mm sitting next to a repair station...almost invincible.

Deployables are by and large useless because their construction is tied to FOBs. Where you want to build a FOB/HAB is usually not where you want to place an HMG emplacement. But because a FOB has a 125m build radius and a 400m exclusion radius, it leaves a lot of non-buildable area. You can place a FOB on the border to reduce it to a 150m non-build zone between the FOBs, but you now have a 20 ticket static asset in an exposed area. And you don't want to spend manpower and resources defending a second exposed FOB just so you can have an HMG emplacement in a good position. That doesn't make economical sense. And the enemy will know where the FOB is because emplacements are tied to FOBs, so they're just a big "Hey, we have a FOB here" sign. And because frontlines don't remain for a long time, any emplacement may only have a useful lifespan of 5-10 minutes before the frontlines shift out of range of the emplacement.

So, with the current situation, it's just not cost effective to actually use most deployables.

Posted (edited)

The argument that mortars negate defenses is missing the fact that mortars require a large investment by a team to set up and operate. Generally 2-4 people (so around 5-10% of the whole team) will be dedicated to the task and unable to participate in any close combat. Also, at least one logistics truck has to be used exclusively to supply the mortar position if you want to continuously fire the mortar(s). Not being able to use those supplies/ammo at a different location can be a huge loss strategically for the team. If you consider the time, effort, and supplies required to build defenses, it's probably almost equal to the time, effort, and supplies required to set up and mortar those defenses.

Edited by Crowmium

On 4/21/2018 at 7:24 PM, Gammazeta430 said:

My question: When will deployable weapons be useful against attacking teams (especially if they even have half a brain and  using a dedicated logi?)  (Ex. would anyone here ACTUALLY USE a deployable 50 cal, even with a "scope"? (the effects look fantastic, but are usually silenced rather quickly when a squad of attackers return laser point fire while you fire at them)

The reason why most of these positions fail is because they do not apply known techniques on how to properly set up a defensive position. Most people concentrate the entire defense in a 50m radius around the radio/HAB. This is never going to be effective (and it shouldn't be). The strategic counter to IDF is to not provide them with a juicy, concentrated target.

this is true, if the enemy infantry can accurately fire on people leaving the hab or immediate area around it you have let them get too close. 

Make a line or a ring and keep the enemy behind it. This way you can fight and die and still have time to fill the line before the enemy can attack your spawn point.