Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Roble

Social Discussion

Recommended Posts

On 14/03/2018 at 10:41 PM, embecmom said:

 millennial instant gratification or I'm not playing so

A millennial is someone born in 1982 until around 2002. The world has changed insanely in those years, so do not put me in the same pot as generation X (the generation who cannot remember a time without ipads/technology etc). 

 

I was born in 1993 and I do not need a badge to say I have done well. I play this game for the same reasons you do. 

 

Also what year were you born? Before 1982? If not, then you are a millennial too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Roble said:

A millennial is someone born in 1982 until around 2002. The world has changed insanely in those years, so do not put me in the same pot as generation X (the generation who cannot remember a time without ipads/technology etc). 

 

I was born in 1993 and I do not need a badge to say I have done well. I play this game for the same reasons you do. 

 

Also what year were you born? Before 1982? If not, then you are a millennial too. 

also the use of wiki to somehow think they are clever...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/03/2018 at 7:42 PM, CptDirty said:

 

 

That's just over exaggerating really (yes hyperbole) . You can descend from a hilltop without falling if you take it one step at a time. (yea but your still heading to the bottom) All I'm saying is that this subject is worth looking into by the devs. Just like a lot of things on these forums, members talk talk talk and suggest stuff but only 10% ever does get answered :S

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, embecmom said:

also the use of wiki to somehow think they are clever...

I didn't actually need to use wiki, I already knew the age range of millennials. People, such as yourself, often get confused with the date ranges. 

 

So you think anyone born after 1982 is a horrible millennial who needs instant gratification?

 

Feel free to think that, but it is an extremely ignorant and narrow minded view. 

 

Plus what year were you born? I imagine you will just ignore this part again. 

Edited by Roble

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Roble said:

So you think anyone born after 1982 is a horrible millennial who needs instant gratification?

 

Feel free to think that, but it is an extremely ignorant and narrow minded view. 

Where did I say that they were horrible?

 

its a fact of life, if you take a look at development of everything from shopping/food and especially social media, the demand is for instant gratification or there must be consequences.. Twitter is the prime example of this with Roman gladiatorial justice meted out by the great unwashed without evidence or intelligent thought.    Instagram, (its in the title), fast food, Twitter (a few words), Amazon (click and buy and now have it delivered same day).  You put a post up on other social sharing sites you are looking for instant likes and thumbs up.        A web page you have less than 20 seconds to impress or a person will click away.  

 

Which leads into pc gaming where the development over the last few years is driven by this very thing.

 

Its the same with games, they are driven by those who demand instant gratification, with rewards constantly popping up for doing something bland 'badge for no. of heals or kills'.  The very fact that the gaming industry has managed to build a million usd business out of micro transactions says it all.  

 

It has its place in many games, I don't believe that Squad is a game that will benefit from those types of players nor implementations.

 

So yes, I am critical of that, it is not ignorant nor narrow minded, indeed I was born before 1982, I actually have experience and insight learned over time, not provided to me by click and collect.  

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, embecmom said:

Where did I say that they were horrible?

 

its a fact of life, if you take a look at development of everything from shopping/food and especially social media, the demand is for instant gratification or there must be consequences.. Twitter is the prime example of this with Roman gladiatorial justice meted out by the great unwashed without evidence or intelligent thought.    Instagram, (its in the title), fast food, Twitter (a few words), Amazon (click and buy and now have it delivered same day).  You put a post up on other social sharing sites you are looking for instant likes and thumbs up.        A web page you have less than 20 seconds to impress or a person will click away.  

 

Which leads into pc gaming where the development over the last few years is driven by this very thing.

 

Its the same with games, they are driven by those who demand instant gratification, with rewards constantly popping up for doing something bland 'badge for no. of heals or kills'.  The very fact that the gaming industry has managed to build a million usd business out of micro transactions says it all.  

 

It has its place in many games, I don't believe that Squad is a game that will benefit from those types of players nor implementations.

 

So yes, I am critical of that, it is not ignorant nor narrow minded, indeed I was born before 1982, I actually have experience and insight learned over time, not provided to me by click and collect.  

 

 

 

My point was, do not put us all in the one basket. We are not all the same. Sure a lot of my generation are as you describe, but that is the vocal ones that you see the most of. There are still plenty of us who are just normal people, getting on quietly with life.

 

The media has put this term "millennial" out there to describe a whole generation, when in reality, that just does not work. People are people no matter what generation. Some are attention seekers who think the world revolves around them, others just quietly get on with it.

 

I see people in there 40's and 50's on Facebook and Twitter who are completely enthralled in it. It is not a generational issue, but an intellectual one. The stupider you are, the more you get taken in by all the modern instant bullshit. It is weak minds, not your age. 

 

I hate everything you describe, so I actually agree with you completely. I see people consumed by social media in the neverending quest for likes, followed by the emptiness when they realise (well I think the problem is a lot of them do not ever realise) it means nothing. I too hate the twitter mob who vilify people with no evidence and hate how glued people are to their phone screens (although again, that is everyone, not just young people!).

 

Please do not think we are all the same, that is all I ask. A lot of my friends feel the way I do, we are almost ashamed of our "generation", but as I mentioned above it is not necessarily a generation issue, but a people/intellectual one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×