Sign in to follow this  
meinstein1987

Walls

So i am going to be making a small map for fun 1 single building for CQB 8v8 or 4v4 and i need to make my own meshes in 3ds and try to figure out the scale of players and walls so that i can start making these things to fit in game and look correct in size....

Help would be appreciated 

I started doing BSP brushes to make but think it would be alot faster to make meshes even for future use of maps like these that i would like to create

cool stuff man, take a bump hopefully someone more knowledgeable will see this.

How long have you been making maps?

definitely make your own meshes, if you can - this way you have full control over what they look like and how they function, and if you start making things in a modular way you can end up having only a relatively small library of basic 'building blocks' that can be used to make almost any larger structure(s) you need.

as for scale: make everything 1:1 in your modelling program, and then find out what scale you need to use when exporting meshes, to compensate for UE4 using Centimetres, not ISO-standard Metres or Millimetres, as it's Working Units. i'm pretty sure 3ds has UE4-friendly options when exporting your .FBX mesh (i use Lightwave, so i'm not too savvy on 3ds) - for example, in Lightwave, working in Metres, i have to scale my meshes by 10,000%(no idea why but it works) before exporting (no UE4-Scale options in Lw) so they come out at the proper scale in UE4.