Sign in to follow this  
Nightingale87

Two "cute" Ideas

I´ve been playing some more yesterday and I will definetely play some more today. I´m enjoying Squad. And I thought f 2 things to make communction with the squad and inter-squads easier.

1. In maps with diferent versions and layouts, leave the name of all the important places even if they don´t have a flag. That will make it easier to communicate because you will have more reference points in the map othen tan the grid. 

2. Add a (Little) number to each of the squad members 1-9. In the squad list and on the map. Somebody says "enemy right north of my position" and I have to know whom "My" refers to, and open the map and move the cursor over the Green members and find who said that. IT could be quicker saying "enemy north of 4", then I´ll open the mao and just by looking at it I know where 4 is and the enemy. You can also provide info quicker by saying "3 enemy to your west".

I realice there´s a small proble with my 2nd idea and that is that for example, SL5 would be 5 and 1 at the same time. But i´m pretty sure somebody can figure out a way around it.

What do you think?

Most maps have multiple layers which have various names of locations. After a while you can name them without having the overlay. I think they don't have lots of names to aid clearness of the map. Cant see a reason you couldnt have it in the info panel, which would be good. 

As a SL you should be marking for your squad and identifying threats so they can be seen by your squad and team. Don't like the idea of numbers just for the point it removes some personality.

Nice ideas keep the thinking up .

8 hours ago, Nightingale87 said:

2. Add a (Little) number to each of the squad members 1-9. In the squad list and on the map. Somebody says "enemy right north of my position" and I have to know whom "My" refers to, and open the map and move the cursor over the Green members and find who said that. IT could be quicker saying "enemy north of 4", then I´ll open the mao and just by looking at it I know where 4 is and the enemy. You can also provide info quicker by saying "3 enemy to your west".

I ask them: "who is 'MY' position?" and they usually reply with their name. Now, if their in-game name is some chinese letters I call them "china". If it's some weird characters I jut call them "dumbass"...

I do agree though that there should be a number scheme associated with each member such as the following (and how arma does it)  HOWEVER I seem to have notice an abundance of trollers on pub matches that seem to completely disregard how the game should be played and just ruin total immersion....This suggestion maybe more suitable for organized groups and special events etc....perhaps modders will do something similar....

SQ1
SL		| 1-1 |
Member	| 1-2 |
Member	| 1-3 |
Member	| 1-4 |
Member	| 1-5 |
Member	| 1-6 |
Member	| 1-7 |
Member	| 1-8 |
Member	| 1-9 |

SQ2
SL		| 2-1 |
Member	| 2-2 |
Member	| 2-3 |
Member	| 2-4 |
Member	| 2-5 |
Member	| 2-6 |
Member	| 2-7 |
Member	| 2-8 |
Member	| 2-9 |

@CptDirty A call of "my position" should be replied to with "where are you". This way people will learn to describe their position. If they are dead they have plenty of time to do this and can provide far more detail and even specific directions to nearby teammates. At no point should a live person need to open the map to know where a callout is made. 

Posted (edited)

The names things you will just get used to...

I dont think adding more numerics is the answer, I would like to see the player talking being highlighted on the map (just in your squad) so you can say hold comms , let the guy speak and it flashes on the map, quickly locating him... or you click on his name in the squad list and it zooms to that character location on the map.

Edited by embecmom

1 hour ago, suds said:

@CptDirty A call of "my position" should be replied to with "where are you".

To each their own but I find it more useful to ask for the person's name first and then their position. The fundamental issue here is when playing in pub matches you pretty much always get paired with names you haven't seen before and people you're not audibly familiar with.

1 hour ago, suds said:

At no point should a live person need to open the map to know where a callout is made.

Yeah well, as an SL that want to keep his squad in the fight I end up being the person with the map open so my squad mates won't have to. 

Again...to each their own...

I open the map at least once every 10 seconds. :D

Didn't we have numbers in one of the early iterations? I vaguely remember that.