Sign in to follow this  
JohnDoe

Arcady Milsim? Suggestions.

Posted (edited)

Heya Squaddies.

So I have been wondering lately, does anyone else feel like the game (despite v10 update changes) is still too arcady when it comes to movement and shooting? Despite this game being one of the leaders of the tactical realism military genre.

You can get rather easily "sniped" by a BTR sitting 500 meters away, often leading to "BTR Squads" just going lone wolf to get easy kills. I feel as if accuracy is still too precise on longer ranges, the only ones being able to do some proper killing from these ranges should be skilled marksmen, not some armor squad sitting too far away for anyone to deal with them. I would imagine that matches would be way more immersive if you would barely be able to hit anything at that range, and basically just do suppression, forcing you to move with other infantry squads. Same with 50.cal bunkers, although they are rather easy to take care of, they can snipe you from across the map (kohat toi as an example) with good accuracy. Where's the immersion in that? 

If there was a greater "randomness" to aiming anywhere further than 250m I think teams would move better together, work better together, you wouldn't die easily and frustratingly (like when running somewhere with your squad, and a BTR sitting hundreds of meters away sprays half of you down), squads wouldn't go lone-wolf as a BTR for easy kills, etc. Let the snipers and mortars take care of long-range threats. Firefights would be longer and more immersive.

Just some thoughts of mine, anyone agree/disagree? feel free to start the discussion.

Edited by JohnDoe

It's one big balancing act. Being able to appeal to a larger audience while at the same time provide a platform for more organized groups and especially modders to take the base game and transform it into a specific play style is what makes squad great. 

As for long range engagements, there's always a rock-paper-scissors mechanic where in public matches a well rounded squad can turn the tide on an enemy fortified position with emplacements and vehicles. Knowing that .50 cal bunkers will be getting optics will allow for much better usability which is something they have been severely lacking thus far. 

The "randomness" factor while aiming reminds me of BF2 which was horrible and I wouldn't want to spray and pray to get a kill. If I aim at something it better hit....

36 minutes ago, CptDirty said:

The "randomness" factor while aiming reminds me of BF2 which was horrible and I wouldn't want to spray and pray to get a kill. If I aim at something it better hit....

Fair enough! I liked that about BF2 personally, but that's just a matter of taste I guess.

But a BTR is indeed capable of engaging effectively at longer ranges than infantry. Not much of a way around it.

You have to have in mind that vehicle damage is going to change, and I have the feeling they will be more vulnerable.

Also, in general, the longer range you are talking about is usually below 500m, which is reasonable for decent accuracy.

If a BTR wants to kill you caught out in the open at 500m, it's not going to have any problem doing it. 

I do get what you mean. But then again...500 mts is just 5 blocks. Then imagine a BTR stading next to you, and an infantry squad crossing the Street at 500 mts....half of them would be lucky to make it.

17 hours ago, Nightingale87 said:

I do get what you mean. But then again...500 mts is just 5 blocks. Then imagine a BTR stading next to you, and an infantry squad crossing the Street at 500 mts....half of them would be lucky to make it.

True. I still do feel like there's too much accuracy with most weapons at ranges. 

Maybe it's less of a problem that the BTR's seem overpowered to me, but more as teams aren't focusing enough on it, not enough teamwork taking them out. Maybe..

22 hours ago, CptDirty said:

unless you have a 20 year old mil spec m16, and under combat conditions. you don't always hit.

4 hours ago, JohnDoe said:

True. I still do feel like there's too much accuracy with most weapons at ranges.

Infantry-wise maybe. It's far too easy as a rifleman with optics.

However with vehicles it's completely different. It is important that vehicles are scary in Squad. When a BTR rolls around and there's no LAT nearby I go "Oh shit it's time to hide". That should happen.

When vehicles can be disabled (since that's planned) you will have a beautiful balance in gameplay where vehicles are scary to you but you are also scary to vehicles. It will feel like they aren't that untouchable anymore.

23 minutes ago, Rybec said:

However with vehicles it's completely different. It is important that vehicles are scary in Squad. When a BTR rolls around and there's no LAT nearby I go "Oh shit it's time to hide". That should happen.

Good point! Agreed one that I guess

8 hours ago, JohnDoe said:

Good point! Agreed one that I guess

Plus, inf will get tows and javelins and such.

11 hours ago, fatalsushi said:

Plus, inf will get tows and javelins and such.

Can't wait for that. Javelins and tows yes please.

Vehicles are fine imo, as mentioned above, it's the lack of suppression and the OP optics that feel overpowered.

Sorry think the weapon systems don't not enough accuracy at present.  500m isn't anything for the modern day shells.   I don't think you should be running around expecting the BTR/Strykers not to nail you at 500m. The CROW shouldn't have drop. These assets should be feared. 

Posted (edited)

Bring on infantry only servers, give us back the awesome, intense gameplay we had pre vehicles and the basic spawn spam of fobs/habs

Edited by v76