Robin Sage

Developer Roundtable

Posted (edited)

Many of you don't know that a "roundtable" discussion was held last night between OWI and various clan representatives. This was a very productive meeting that lasted two hours and discussed multiple topics about gameplay mechanics for the future. We were allowed to record it. While a transcript is being written for a TLDR version, I have uploaded the entire meeting to soundcloud. For those of you interested in listening, here it is; 

While most of you know that I am not exactly happy with the current state of Squad, I can tell you that Fuzzhead has been able to give me hope for the game and I was extremely happy with last night's meeting. These roundtable discussions will be a monthly thing and I can tell that they will do a great deal to improve the game and overall community. 

Edited by Robin Sage

Kinda late on this, but listening to the roundtable recording, on the lack of ticketbleed in the AAS rules and about the issue of not being properly rewarded for capturing a flag, to me the obvious solution to that would be to make the capturing team gain the 40 tickets while they are capturing the flag - as soon as it get neutral, for example for every "tick up" on the cap you'd get 5 tickets and once you cap fully you get an additional 20 tickets. That "realtime" ticket gain content of the flag gets used up as you cap and would then only refresh for your team on a flag, when you lose it, so you can't keep going back and forth on a neutral flag indefinitely. On the other hand losing the flag won't help you either as the enemy team will have 20 up on you, if you let them have it, for the next fight.
That way attacking is incentivized, as you don't get punished as much for failing in an attack, if you can capture atleast 50% before getting wiped or something like that depending on how much you die, but there's no rush-to-the-flag put on you by the ticketbleed.
Kinda like getting "reinforcements" once you actually need them, instead of imaginary reserves dying of grief in a camp behind the lines continually, because you lost a flag that they really liked.
It suddenly nerfs hard defense on a cap aswell, as when you lose a cap and you have a superFOB on it you're bound to lose that aswell, in which case that's 60 tickets net for the attacking team and 40 tickets lost for the other team, putting you a 100 tickets ahead when you capture a flag, not accounting for casualties.
The ticket trickle being only on flags captured by the enemy.

Also kinda unrelated, but imho having a ticket counter like in the early versions of the game, atleast on the map, and having a ticket history of your actions(like a 5 item feed) e.g. you participated in capping in a flag +20, you died -1, you died -1, you died -1, you lost a vehicle you were driving -12 ...would imho help make the player aware of the tickets, without making it a complete spreadsheet simulator, although everyone should know the ticket cost of their actions as long as tickets are in the game imho, but it being centered on the individual/squad it'd kinda minimise the "that other squad just lost a btr" moments, as it's always focused and reflecting the player that looks at it. And it being so readily accessible, it'd lessen the need to remember every cost of every asset and also make people look at the map more, which can only be a good thing.

If you got hope from the meeting i am sure now many of us reading and hearing this will get our hopes up.

Make Squad great again!!!! 

at work so havent listened.

@PeerunProblem with added tickets is that they can make the game go longer. No one wants the clock to end a round and excessively long rounds are not good for a large number of players.

I'd prefer some other benefit to capturing a flag. Like a boosted timer for asset respawn or a new vehicle.

One good thing in battlefield was the spawn of vehicles on flags you held. Going to an outlying flag knowing that if you owned it you got an attack heli or a tank made the flag valuable and was an extra boost to teamwork and gameplay. I'd like to see some flags spawning assets, they could appear at main base or in the flag area depending on mapper preference.

Using this you could make a lot of action based rules, for example:

• Capture the middle flag from the enemy and hold it for 10 mins and a new logi truck spawns at main.
  • Take the airfield on the west flank and build a fob with sufficient supplies and a heli spawns there.
  • Defend your final flag for 4 mins and you get 2 tanks (strategic retreat for benefits or boost for losing team).
  • Kill 100 enemy in the capture area within 10 mins and they get an artillery barrage available in main base.
  • Many more...

These could be one time or repeat events and could be faction dependent or balanced.

I'd also like there to be a win condition where you capture the enemy base to finish the round. Dome of protection is flawed and dissapointing. Give the last few flags a boost using assets (simulating reinforcements), if they fail and lose them then the round ends faster through ticket loss, if they push back then the game is more fun for everyone. 

Merlin's/Darv's posts on reddit/discord, SgtRoss's DevCast, Gatzby on all medias and now this... TWO THUMBS UP!!! :D Nice to hear communication going on again, OWI!

VERY reassuring to hear fuzzhead's way of view on certain topics (especially coupled with recent Merlin's post on reddit)! Great to see him on board!

Also, nice flow of ideas on those FOB mechanics... some really cool stuff there! I hope it will at least make to testing phase!

3 hours ago, suds said:

at work so havent listened.

@PeerunProblem with added tickets is that they can make the game go longer. No one wants the clock to end a round and excessively long rounds are not good for a large number of players.

I'd prefer some other benefit to capturing a flag. Like a boosted timer for asset respawn or a new vehicle.

One good thing in battlefield was the spawn of vehicles on flags you held. Going to an outlying flag knowing that if you owned it you got an attack heli or a tank made the flag valuable and was an extra boost to teamwork and gameplay. I'd like to see some flags spawning assets, they could appear at main base or in the flag area depending on mapper preference.

Using this you could make a lot of action based rules, for example:

• Capture the middle flag from the enemy and hold it for 10 mins and a new logi truck spawns at main.
  • Take the airfield on the west flank and build a fob with sufficient supplies and a heli spawns there.
  • Defend your final flag for 4 mins and you get 2 tanks (strategic retreat for benefits or boost for losing team).
  • Kill 100 enemy in the capture area within 10 mins and they get an artillery barrage available in main base.
  • Many more...

These could be one time or repeat events and could be faction dependent or balanced.

I'd also like there to be a win condition where you capture the enemy base to finish the round. Dome of protection is flawed and dissapointing. Give the last few flags a boost using assets (simulating reinforcements), if they fail and lose them then the round ends faster through ticket loss, if they push back then the game is more fun for everyone. 

Not trying to go OT, but I'm not a fan of the mainbase protection at the end of the round either, I'd propose that once the last cap is lost, Main is vulnerable, but like a FOB, once enemies are within a certain range, you lose the ability to spawn there and the round ends. So, the invaders breach the gates and run in, there's a brief violent last stand as the ticket bleed goes into hyper drive, and *poof*, it's all over. 

Back on topic, nice to see this cooperation with the community.