Sign in to follow this  
kisbiflos

A simple yet unique mercenary/security force faction (most assets already in the game)

Posted (edited)

The game will need more nameless factions like "Insurgents" and "Irregular Militia" but it would be a shame to see one more faction that is based all around the AK variants and other Eastern weapons. I would really like to see for example USA and the upcoming Brits fight against a faction that is similar to them, like we have Russia vs Militia maps now. 

The whole idea is to have one more irregular faction so we can pit them against any other faction.

My idea is to base this faction around weapons that are, so to say, PMC-ish (not the right way to describe them though, but you will get what I mean) like the Mini-14 or AC-556.

When I write more than one weapon per role ↓below↓ I don't mean that classes should have a selection of all. They are just suggestions that fit the scheme/game.

Rifleman, 4x optic Rifleman, Medic, SL: AC-556, variants of ironsight, holographic, 4x scope, foregrip

DMR: could be an M14 variant or PSG, G3 or FAL. 

Grenadier: M16M203 variant, current M4M203 or AK GP-25 to save some resources or maybe a SIG556 with M203 if we really want something new.

AT: Both LAW and RPG with 4 rockets available, same way currently Russia works. Rifle could be M4 or AC-556

Automatic Rifleman: FAL with bipod, has less ammo than RPK (30 instead of 50) but larger caliber. 

Scoped Automatic Rifleman:  An RPK or M249 to save resources, or a 5.56mm variant of the HK21 with 50 drum mag. Galil with drum mag could work as well. 

I would not give a FAL with bipod for this kit, not even with 20rnd mag, because that would be a DMR with bipod basically.

Medium Machine Gun:  Classic M60 or PKM to save resources.

Scout/Raider/Flanker (this is just one class was not sure about the name): Has 2 smokes, 1 grenade, 1 C4 (different than IED see ↓below↓) and a MP5 as an armament. Binoculars included as well. No AT mine at all.

C4 would work differently compared to IED to make it more balanced and unique. It would have a little bit smaller blast radius, but players could throw them (as C4 is safe to throw anyways) to some short distance instead of placing them. Upon death they could NOT BE DETONATED anymore ( in case of a phone detonator the phone number can be shared, not in this case).

Vehicles:

Stryker as light APC 

30mm MTLB in few cases 

MRAP and US Trucks as transport, *no CROWS system available for them at all

US supply truck: and supply techie maybe

Motorbikes, with a better look than current Insurgent versions

*No technicals and no BRDM either, this faction would not have a scout vehicle, instead they would get 2 extra MRAPs on maps where there should be a recon. They would rely more on MRAPS for transport than on trucks. Remember these would all be open top. With extra vehicles and motorbikes this would be a very mobile faction and it would make them a bit unique. If this is seen as  bad idea it can be thrown out and just give them CROWS as usual.

Buildings would look mostly the same as US and Russian buildings, HESCO based. 

Emplacements:  M2 and M2 bunker, Russian Mortar, SPG-9 (no TOW later)

If I missed anything please try to help me build up this faction. I think you all much rather would see this than one more group of AK warriors.

Edited by kisbiflos

Why not have some fun alternate universe fun and have USA vs UK? No reason why you can't have two Western nations fighting each other for once in a game.

Posted (edited)

I would not have any problems with that either, and I am pretty sure some modders will make a layer like that sooner or later. 

I honestly believe that a game like this does not need to be authentic in every way to be enjoyable. At the end of the day the point of this game is teamwork and firefight, and who cares if I am shooting at a guy who has M4 with a L86.

Though I think you will agree with me on this, the more variety we have the better it is, and this faction I suggested mostly  uses models that are already in the game, except for few new items and weapons.

Edited by kisbiflos

Sounds good. More weapons and more variety is always good. I´d much rather see some factions that are rarely seen in games. Like Germans. There is no post WW2 german army in any game that I am aware of. It is always USA vs RUS vs Talibans sometimes china. The modern German army has cool equipment and weapons. We need HK weapons in the game :D And the current German service rifle is the HK G36. They are using the flecktarn camo which is also rare to see in video games. My second most wanted army would be the Czech army. CZ has also some cool weapons, and the Czech army "recently" adopted the CZ 805 Bren as their service rifle. 

3 hours ago, kisbiflos said:

I would not have any problems with that either, and I am pretty sure some modders will make a layer like that sooner or later. 

I honestly believe that a game like this does not need to be authentic in every way to be enjoyable. At the end of the day the point of this game is teamwork and firefight, and who cares if I am shooting at a guy who has M4 with a L86.

Though I think you will agree with me on this, the more variety we have the better it is, and this faction I suggested mostly  uses models that are already in the game, except for few new items and weapons.

If you or I searched hard enough maybe a year or so ago I believe I mentioned the idea of having a USA militia sort of faction so you could even have some sort of Red Dawn or civilian vs government scenario happening. The only problem would be AT and you'd have to make some sort of fluff like "Oh these are captured things".

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Font said:

Sounds good. More weapons and more variety is always good. I´d much rather see some factions that are rarely seen in games. Like Germans. There is no post WW2 german army in any game that I am aware of. It is always USA vs RUS vs Talibans sometimes china

Project Reality (father of Squad) has the Bundeswehr in it just as you say, we even had dual sights on most guns, iron sight+acog if I remember correctly. While I love the idea and would love to see them in game, with this tempo it would take minimally 1 year from now, in best case.

Here I tried to make up a faction that can be implemented within the next few months even before the Brits.

This new faction of mine needs only about a handful of new assets:

New skin for US soldiers, just a new camo pattern

New skins for some vehicles

AC556, MP5,  (maybe that M60 if it is included) weapon+animations 

New skin for G3 to make it look like FAL

And the completely new C4

Edited by kisbiflos

You could easily make a mod of this faction with the current modding SDK.

I've been slowly working on a African Rebel themed faction so I agree with you about having more of the generic irregular factions to add some diversity.

6 hours ago, Stom said:

You could easily make a mod of this faction with the current modding SDK.

I've been slowly working on a African Rebel themed faction so I agree with you about having more of the generic irregular factions to add some diversity.

I would rather have something like this in game officially, even if it is not exactly this version of the idea. We already have many mods and almost no servers running them.

51 minutes ago, kisbiflos said:

I would rather have something like this in game officially, even if it is not exactly this version of the idea. We already have many mods and almost no servers running them.

That's a bit of a catch 22. If you can't make it and show that it's worthwhile why would it be added officially over some other faction that makes use of existing assets.

It's true that modding servers are empty at the moment but that side of the game is still in its infancy, even if you made the mod and it got little player attention I guarantee the devs would see it on the modding discord.

Besides that, it's fun to make stuff like this even if it doesn't workout in the end.

7 hours ago, TheGenera1 said:

I'd personally like to see a faction that moves away from those weapon systems and moves towards Chinese style. I think we've got enough m4's and AK's in the game.

For example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QBZ-95

Personally I used to hate using those Chinese faction guns in bf2 BUT I can definitely appreciate having the variety and challenge of playing a different faction other than M4's and AK's. 

In other words, yeah! +1

P.S. Can't wait for the British to arrive :D 

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Stom said:

That's a bit of a catch 22. If you can't make it and show that it's worthwhile why would it be added officially over some other faction that makes use of existing assets.

The thing is, I really don't care ifs specifically mine is worthwhile, though I tried to make it worthwhile. I just want a to see a new irregular faction in the game that does NOT use AKs, this is all I want. I don't care who makes that faction or what guns they end up using as long as those are not AK variants. 

I just wanted to start the conversation and decided to provide a decently formulated example of what I am thinking of.

I'd personally like to see a faction that moves away from those weapon systems and moves towards Chinese style. I think we've got enough m4's and AK's in the game.

For example:

The problem with such a faction is that it would take minimum 1 year to implement, realistically 2 years. The Brits have been in the making for at least a year now. I tried to come up with something that can be implemented within months.

Edited by kisbiflos

21 hours ago, TheGenera1 said:

For example:

I've always loved my T97 just because it's so different.

The actual modern equipped Chinese military has some pretty neat stuff. Just hope you're not the less important Chinese military that gets Type 81 rifles instead.

On 4/10/2018 at 7:35 AM, Rybec said:

I've always loved my T97 just because it's so different.

The actual modern equipped Chinese military has some pretty neat stuff. Just hope you're not the less important Chinese military that gets Type 81 rifles instead.

If modders keep working at this pace we will soon see a Chinese faction imo. I really hope devs and modders find a way to efficently work together to make mods easy to access or even be featured in the base game.

5 hours ago, kisbiflos said:

If modders keep working at this pace we will soon see a Chinese faction imo. I really hope devs and modders find a way to efficently work together to make mods easy to access or even be featured in the base game.

That's a huge worry for me.

Talented guy X goes and makes the most amazing Chinese military units for the game, everything complete.

How does a server use what he puts up and how do you play on that server? Are you going to have to check something on the workshop and then scour for servers running it?

Am I going to have to find a server that runs whatever mods and then only ever go to that one server so I can get to play as Finland? Will it be too much of a hassle to make sure I have everything to join a different server running whatever mods in its list?

That would be great if in future we see ARF (african resistance forces) faction like in Project reality. They could be equiped with FN FALs, AKs, some old variants of M16A2, FAMAS, Browning Hi-Power etc.