cc.

Lengthy animations = Clunky gameplay

Posted (edited)

I would go as far as saying that Squad has been artificially/aggressively slowed down to the point that combat is ridiculous (especially when in close quarters). I think the following video (5:00-5:40) demonstrates what I mean. While the first example in the video is probably too fast (Insurgency), the following clip shows how slow even the basic movements are in Squad, comparatively. It's like the hands wanna go, but the feet are tied. If you observe closely in-game, you'll see that character movement doesn't match up with animation speed. Soliders are more like slowly floating around.

I know that one of the goals of the devs is to promote prolonged firefights. I think speeding things up a little would go a long way, because a lot of the firefights happen from a distance and currently well... everyone moves like the elderly.

Edited by cc.

3 hours ago, cc. said:

There it is, finally someone brought up Counter-Strike and Call of Duty. Great stuff!

It makes sense to speed up things in a game for the sake of replayability. Especially if it's some mundane action that contributes little in a way of fun. You wouldn't want to load cargo into a truck for X hours right? Or deal with a weapon jam for X minutes? I think animations work the same way, just on a minuscule scale. It's these small actions you have to repeat all the time and if they're just slow for the sake of realism, they get bothersome. Extreme realism is incredibly boring, we play games for a reason. There needs to be balance, and in this case, I believe speeding up the animations a little bit, would make the game feel much more responsive.

I expected as much that the general consensus in the ACTIVE community is that the animations are good enough. After all, you are still playing Squad. However, I'm sure that if the devs sent out a mass survey to those who have purchased the game, but weren't actively playing it, they would get a very different response. I dare ya.

its a great idea ... bro ...

can we make a pool ?

I really do feel that people (myself included) are trying to pull the game towards what they like to see. And in di¡oing so, five arguments like "a game SHOULD be this", or "PEOPLE want to see that". When it´s actually an individual opinion. I think come from PR and that´s the only reason I bought the game. Becuase of the implcit promise of making a better new next gen PR. So im a bit biased towards people who feel the game should be "slower". But I have to admit that there is also business and developers want a game that pleases a lot of people. And I agree and accept that the game may be a NEXT GEN PR with some elements of more fast paced games that appeal to a broader audience. 

I guess all I´m saying is, there are a lot of games like COD BF, INS, etc....there is only one PR (and a too realistically boring poor PVP ARMA) . SO I think that Squad filing that gap of a Relistic, still playable in 1 hour round game makes sense.

Again, it´s MY PERSONAL OPINION, and what I want to see in the game. Animations are fine, I died many times going from prone to sprint, but I´ll have to adapt.

Movement speeds can and probably will still be tweaked, especially as we see how they work in conjunction with new maps, new weapons, and new vehicles. It does involve getting a few people and testing to do, so may be done with consideration and a few iterations. ("Feel" can be pretty hard to nail right, especially as the audience grows.)

I know SgtRoss is looking at some ADS speeds on weapons, say, with some eye toward overall pace -- not exactly what you're talking about, but something that does play into the overall feeling of speed/slowness. Which... believe it or not, our speeds are apparently a fair bit faster than Rainbow 6 Siege. Weird.

Speaking of Ross, the recent stream had him mentioning that we don't want the game to be a walking simulator either; pacing is something we keep an eye on and really appreciate hearing YOUR thoughts on. That said, we don't want to trip back into your standard FPS super-soldier either.

Ah Gatzby, all that is good to know! I agree, this one is very difficult to get just right, but I'd say it's also one of the most important ones. I wouldn't be so concerned about creating super soldiers, because two bullets will still drop you. Like I mentioned before, I think that maneuverability and better general game responsiveness could ironically prolong firefights (not to mention make the whole thing more enjoyable), because people will not be caught out in the open as much due to slowed down game mechanics. More two-way engagements sounds like a win to me.

Personally I have the 100% opposite opinion. The movement speed is exactly where it always needed to be. The pace of combat is now much more true to life, which means that more real tactics and strategies must be applied in order to win. Pure twitch skill won't win you the battle anymore. I think this is much more in the spirit of the teamwork-focused gameplay that the devs have been striving for.

Rather than only consider how it affects you, consider the larger impact on gameplay and the 2nd and 3rd order effects on tactics and strategy. All the way back to PR this game was never about your personal conquests, but rather working together to win as a team.

Agreed with Crowmium. Squad actually feels pretty good and fluid (apart from general bugginess). Soldier movement and gunplay are in a good spot right now, needing minor tweaks.

Pacing has to be adjusted in other fronts I believe, like flag and ticket mechanics, respawning etc.