Vegetal

"Believability" of maps, realism

On 4/6/2018 at 8:48 AM, Disco said:

Most of metal structures in Squad's official maps lack some engineering sense

I bet you money if the person who made these structures in game and read it would've tripped on you so hard....

3 minutes ago, CptDirty said:

I bet you money if the person who made these structures in game and read it would've tripped on you so hard....

I got no issue there... i said it because i would like to see that aspect of maps better. I hope other side take it as that too.

On 4/6/2018 at 5:48 AM, Disco said:

Btw, this thread is for constructive criticism, not to grunge or put down our mappers.

And that's appreciated. =)

Seems to be working too, since there's a lot of good feedback here!

I suspect it'll be incorporated as Belaya's turn for an update pass comes along. The entire team learns a lot every time we get a new map or technique out, and the mapping and environmental team has definitely been putting your feedback to good use. (And game design is looking at tunnel capture points too, for those of you worried about Mestia. ;)).

I like big maps, such as Kohat, Gorodok, Mestia where you feel big spaces, and heightmaps of these maps are really organic. 

I dont like Fools Road, since it really bothers to climb steep hills and descend from them.

I dont like sumari bala, logar since that maps are too small and vehicles are useless there that is like a scirmish mod in PR.

I see two big problems with maps at this moment:

1.The game needs more static objects like buildings etc, to make gameplay more interesting. Some more unique large buildingsin full size like Airport, Airbase, Hospitals etc

2. Also needs more variable plants, bushes etc. Since now PS's vegetation looks more organic than Squad's.

Posted (edited)
On 2018-04-05 at 9:17 AM, Disco said:

True. But it's hard to do real life terrain. Either you need great knowledge of programs (SDK, WM, GIMP and so) to recreate RL layout or great knowledge of geoscience to make believable semi fictional landscape. I think in time, maps will be better.

I really like what Post Scriptum team is doing. Their map is excellent (based on videos/sterams; didn't actually play it). They are recreating maps and don't bother too much with gameplay.

Yeah main problem with squad is that the mappers think they should design for gameplay aspects, so they make rather strange maps with funny buildings facing nowhere. Rather boring and totally unrealistic. How about just dropping a realistic map and balance it out with assets instead? That's what I would like to see. 

Edited by SpecialAgentJohnson

1 hour ago, SpecialAgentJohnson said:

Yeah main problem with squad is that the mappers think they should design for gameplay aspects, so they make rather strange maps with funny buildings facing nowhere. Rather boring and totally unrealistic. How about just dropping a realistic map and balance it out with assets instead? That's what I would like to see. 

Then it's time for you to take that idea, turn it into reality and present it in the mod section!

nbTSPgs.png

32 minutes ago, invisible.nin/SINE said:

Then it's time for you to take that idea, turn it into reality and present it in the mod section!

nbTSPgs.png

I thought you were the mod section? This is feedback and suggestions, no? 

In other words: Create the map, it sounds like you are motivated and positively loaded about the idea!

Perfect chance to make something out of it, and you would be proud of creating something yourself instead of relying on others.

HF3Lqfe.jpg

7 hours ago, invisible.nin/SINE said:

In other words: Create the map, it sounds like you are motivated and positively loaded about the idea!

Perfect chance to make something out of it, and you would be proud of creating something yourself instead of relying on others.

HF3Lqfe.jpg

That would be fun. Unfortunately I cannot find the time for that so I have to rely on others. 

52 minutes ago, SpecialAgentJohnson said:

That would be fun. Unfortunately I cannot find the time for that so I have to rely on others. 

Time isn't found, it's made ;) 

Well in that case I would recommend going to modding discord and seeing if you can find some people who want to get into mapping and creating a little team. 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Psyrus said:

Time isn't found, it's made ;) 

Well in that case I would recommend going to modding discord and seeing if you can find some people who want to get into mapping and creating a little team. 

"If you don't like any teeny aspect of Squad -go on and make your own game!"

You guys who suggest about making our own game are ridonk, come on now... LOL. Its like coming into a hotel and your room is dirty and a manager tells you to build your own room/hotel to stay in.

I am also the one thinking that the game lacks in the map aspect, heavily. And that reflects to gameplay. The best map in the game are Kohat, and the only map that comes close to it is Al-Basrah map. OP First Light and Kokan are decent, but thats it really. Chora is the absolute worst map ever. And the new Belaya on the snow, is absolutely terrible with its road system, it makes absolutely no sense in any way. The only cool aspect of Belaya is its snow environment.

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Rainmaker said:

You guys who suggest about making our own game are ridonk, come on now... LOL. Its like coming into a hotel and your room is dirty and a manager tells you to build your own room/hotel to stay in.

I am also the one thinking that the game lacks in the map aspect, heavily. And that reflects to gameplay. The best map in the game are Kohat, and the only map that comes close to it is Al-Basrah map. OP First Light and Kokan are decent, but thats it really. Chora is the absolute worst map ever. And the new Belaya on the snow, is absolutely terrible with its road system, it makes absolutely no sense in any way. The only cool aspect of Belaya is its snow environment.

I agree. Chora is like playing around in the grass of a big farm. I like the desert maps best though because in them it is actually possible to see the enemy occasionally. Al Basrah is the map Id rather play. I like Kokan except for the high grass and obscuring trees everywhere. Kohat is good as well. Don't like first light though. Because all of the annoying trees right in eye-height.

Posted (edited)

Yeah I noticed that in the early days of squad, the pattern of foliage placing on maps to force close fights. But what is most annoying is how much lone wolves can sometimes sneak up on your squad and do heavy damage because of foliage blindfold. OP first light had even lower branches in the past where you couldn't see infront. You are lucky by playing it right now...

Edited by Rainmaker

2 minutes ago, Rainmaker said:

Yeah I noticed that in the early days of squad, the pattern of foliage placing on maps to force close fights. But what is most annoying is how much lone wolves can sometimes sneak up on you and do heavy damage because of foliage blindfold. OP first light had even lower branches in the past where you couldn't see infront. You are lucky by playing it right now...

Ok. Yeah I stopped playing it already in the early days because of the low hanging branches. Found myself sitting and ducking (unsuccessfully) behind the monitor and always got shot by someone I never saw. Map became a no-go immediately. 

Posted (edited)

I quite like it that the maps are so different. Some are more realistic, some are more balanced to serve gameplay. I don't go looking for perfect real world representations - as long as it feels right, it's good with me. Personally I find big urban maps the weakest, e.g Narva. It just looks soulless and empty. Box after box. I imagine adding a lot of detail would probably increase FPS issues though.

Edited by cc.

makes comment about P.S. and it's Lush foliage - but complains Squad has too many branches hanging from trees and enemies catching him with pants down  - actually wants near-barren desert maps.

19 hours ago, Rainmaker said:

Its like coming into a hotel and your room is dirty and a manager tells you to build your own room/hotel to stay in.

actually, i think it's more like: Going into hotel room that is not organised and furnished exacty how you want and then complaining to the manager that he has not read your mind.

no one said anything about building your own game - no need to perpetuate innacurate comments.

2 hours ago, LaughingJack said:

makes comment about P.S. and it's Lush foliage - but complains Squad has too many branches hanging from trees and enemies catching him with pants down  - actually wants near-barren desert maps.

actually, i think it's more like: Going into hotel room that is not organised and furnished exacty how you want and then complaining to the manager that he has not read your mind.

no one said anything about building your own game - no need to perpetuate innacurate comments.

They implied building your own map (that the devs would likely reject anyway, making your own game the next step basically). Not too far stretched.

So what else can we do, except complain a little in the community and get a little momentum that just might get the devs to produce something that is what we would really really like for squad to be, to just be perfect, instead of just good? 

On 4/4/2018 at 10:04 PM, Randall172 said:

This game cannot have large open spaces, because they refuse to either give all classes optics (like PR) or have an innate zoom (like arma)

That's dumb imo. Why not optics?

20 hours ago, SpecialAgentJohnson said:

I think a little zoom would be ok. 

An arma-style zoom and more open maps would be nice imo. Irons are not even fun to use because my eyes hurt squinting at the monitor. And using the shift zoom is just a pain since you’re constantly zooming in and out.

5 hours ago, fatalsushi said:

An arma-style zoom and more open maps would be nice imo. Irons are not even fun to use because my eyes hurt squinting at the monitor. And using the shift zoom is just a pain since you’re constantly zooming in and out.

Nah, Arma zoom is too much. If you're squinting you might need some glasses.

13 hours ago, Fosty said:

Nah, Arma zoom is too much. If you're squinting you might need some glasses.

Yeah, I agree that it’s too much but the same mechanic with a little less zoom would make iron sights less painful to use imo. And I’m squinting because everything looks like a grainy mess past a certain distance unless you’re playing with 2k or 4k resolution.

On 12/04/2018 at 7:20 PM, SpecialAgentJohnson said:

They implied building your own map (that the devs would likely reject anyway, making your own game the next step basically). Not too far stretched.

Actually mapping is nothing like making an entire game. 

On 11/04/2018 at 5:47 PM, SpecialAgentJohnson said:

"If you don't like any teeny aspect of Squad -go on and make your own game!"

negative vibes, man. Again, not one person in here except yourself has said that making a map implies "make your own game", and Psyrus made no allusions whatsoever to that which you have stated, in quoting him.

On 12/04/2018 at 7:20 PM, SpecialAgentJohnson said:

So what else can we do,

I would suggest, if you are really passionate about having fully realised "perfect" maps, that instead of complaining, you organise some reference material and submit it as a suggested-something another team/group, with the skills, can take forward. - oh wait, Psyrus already suggested this and, well ...

Nothing is ever, or will ever be perfect - that's 'Reality'.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, LaughingJack said:

Actually mapping is nothing like making an entire game. 

negative vibes, man. Again, not one person in here except yourself has said that making a map implies "make your own game", and Psyrus made no allusions whatsoever to that which you have stated, in quoting him.

I would suggest, if you are really passionate about having fully realised "perfect" maps, that instead of complaining, you organise some reference material and submit it as a suggested-something another team/group, with the skills, can take forward. - oh wait, Psyrus already suggested this and, well ...

Nothing is ever, or will ever be perfect - that's 'Reality'.

If I were (don't have time) to do a map like that, then they would say it's unbalanced and it would be rejected because of the very feature that was making it unique. Hence, the only option left is to try to have the community change their view of what Squad could/should be. Politics, man...

Or, make my own game...