carousel_image_kneeling.png

Take a knee, Squaddies!

Back in January, we were lucky enough to partner with our friends at Stack-Up.org for our first Air Assault! The idea was simple: take a couple of lucky veterans from the Squad community and get them in the game. With the help of Animatrik, whom we've previously visited, we've done just that.

watching_the_replay.JPG

Getting all the best people into the same room pays off and we couldn't be happier with the results!

We were a bit overwhelmed by the response and it was tough to pick just two winners: Squad's community is filled with some of the toughest, most humble, good-natured military professionals we've had the pleasure of meeting.

sitting.JPG

William Bee from the USMC jumped at the chance to show us his moves. His favorite games, which include Arma 3, Battlefield 4, and Squad (of course) help him keep in touch with friends, relax a bit, and spend time with his son, who's also an avid gamer. You also might recognize him from some other publications. When he's not playing Squad, he likes to watch Karmakut and DevilDog Gamer get their streaming on.

Daniel (Harry) Holcroft, from the Australian Defence Force, has spent time deployed in Iraq, Timor Leste, and Afghanistan. These days, though, he prefers to spend a little more time playing Escape from Tarkov and Squad, with a solid background in Arma 3. If he's not gaming, you might catch him checking out streams from CowboyChuck, DeadlySlob, DesmoLocke, pcat101, or RussUK.

Both of these fine fellas have first-hand knowledge of the world Squad showcases and they really brought the sort of experience that makes the game live and breathe -- especially after putting the guys through the paces. If you'd like to know more about their background, be sure to check out this article on Stack-Up.org.

As you can see, we gathered a mix of animations while the guys were there. The pros really know how to move, both on the field and off. Check out this pristine tactical movement:

Now that we have all that awesome capture data, we can get it to the developers, animators, and artists for all the hard work that goes into making it game-ready. Look for updates in an upcoming Recap.

IMG_2833.JPG

It was truly an honor to be part of the Air Assault. We cannot wait to work with Stack-Up.org again! A huge thank you to Animatrik, our veterans, and the Squad community for working so hard to support Squad.

If you'd like to get involved with Stack-up.org as an individual or a group, you can start here.

Offworld Out.

Just the tip of the iceberg Aragon!

Doing the MoCap session was an absolute BLAST, but getting to meet the Development team and have a few drinks while discussing their plans for the future as well as seeing their passion for the community was the best part!

They definitely put us through our paces though. I can't wait for the coming months to see all of the animations come in with the updates!

I envy you a loot buddy! Expecially for wearing those super sexy thights suits! ^_^

and for the drinks with the Dev team

In vehicle idle animations? been waiting for this, should make the game feel more alive.

Aragon- Right? My highly-disciplined combat chassis was barely constrained...

Cribbaaa- That's how I feel. What I would LOVE to see is the game tracking the head as the user is mousing around while sitting in a vehicle, such as a transport. It'd be more of a cosmetic thing, of course, but would add to the immersion. I've never sat in a 5 or 7-ton where everyone is looking straight ahead

If you guys don't put a butt scratching animation when a character is idle then I'll be disappointed :( 

Posted (edited)

Dirty- Intentional or not, I'm sure the ball/butt scratching occurred a time or two lol

Edited by WilliamBee

16 minutes ago, WilliamBee said:

Dirty- Intentional or not, I'm sure the ball/butt scratching occurred a time or two lol

giphy.gif

21 hours ago, Gatzby said:

That pistol running reminds me of good old N64 Goldeneye days. What is this for?

2 hours ago, Feli06 said:

That pistol running reminds me of good old N64 Goldeneye days. What is this for?

There was also some MoCap for Post Scriptum going on with us

DAMN THEM PICK ME hahaha.. looks like a blast gratz to the lucky guys that got it.

i figured i dint have a chance cause i have no facebook and the application wanted me to link my facebook prob for photo's

slip in some funny animation for idle sitting in back of truck for me boys

14 hours ago, ♠DEG♠ said:

DAMN THEM PICK ME hahaha.. looks like a blast gratz to the lucky guys that got it.

i figured i dint have a chance cause i have no facebook and the application wanted me to link my facebook prob for photo's

slip in some funny animation for idle sitting in back of truck for me boys

Deg- Thanks man, it was a blast! Next time definitely apply with Stackup, I don't think they really care about the social media account, as long as you are a veteran I'm sure they'll take the application seriously! 

Back of the truck animation is something I would love to see!

On 4/5/2018 at 11:07 AM, Feli06 said:

Wasn't on site, so not 100% positive. He may have just been the pace car. =) I mean, I'd want something to play with too, heh.