MuffriDer

Alternate scoring system

Note: Obviously the nomenclature should be adapted to properly describe their appropriate situations. I personally don't know what people call a good SL, or a bad pilot, so please excuse any silly names listed below. The scoring method is what is important here. ;)

Most people can't seem to make up their minds on the value of scores. They are important, incredible, bad, distracting, elitist, etc..

What I have here is an idea that is possibly creates more of the same issues, but can absorb a little of the impact. Yes, it can be elitist, and you are elitist to think so.

It grants people the ability to not only see what and how the player did, but also the way they played, to a limited degree. To those who go and look it up, they can find true information on what the name meant. To the rest, it's a vague indication.

The number of kills through an OP vehicle like a tank or apc, or even a kit like autorifle, etc. are generally going to be higher than the rest. That's nice, but their performance is the real question at the end of the game.

The numbers themselves can go into the numbers catalog somewhere where you and others can bask in the specifics of your glory. During the match, however, maybe you only get see your grades when you die. After the match, everyone gets to see each other's full grades.

The grades could easily be A, B, C or what have you. The system here captures the grades into something with enough information that people can tell what you did without all the "gory" details. A good example of this is the teamwork score in PR. The numbers can easily go into the thousands, but what was it that you were doing? That's why I chopped the most important parts into "titles" that are assigned to players at the end of their stints.

---

1. "Traditional" score is never available to the player. It's just a pile of numbers and is merely a means to evaluate the player's actions in-game.

2. The partial score is seen to the player, when he dies, as a name title (as devs infer).

The median score is shown as a name title to everybody at the end of the match. It is the analysis of all the player's partial scores, only showing the values that are most predominant. If the player was mostly medic, but ended up playing as SL at the end, the player would be titled as a medic.

3. This is what the score looks like:

MuffriDer: Iron "Hunter" Tactician

John Doe: Furious Warlord

---

How it works:

There are three components to the score. Three names.

1. The first name is an adjective. It is divided into categories: Commander, officer, grunt, griefer.

For every category, an adjective is created describing each of these charateristics: Offense, defense, support, recon.

• Commander
    1. Furious (aggresive)
    2. Iron (defensive)
    3. Generous (logistics and support)
    4. Watchful (recon)

2. The last name is a noun. It is divided into as many categories as there are kits and assets in the game.

For every category, a noun is created describing 5 levels of excellence.

• Officer
    1. Warlord
    2. Strategist
    3. Tactician
    4. Sheepdog
    5. Horse-Groom
  • Rifleman
    1. Wolf
    2. Point-man
    3. Trooper
    4. Drone
    5. Grasshopper
  • Medic
    1. Savior
    2. Healer
    3. Lifeline
    4. Band-Aid
    5. Quack
  • Sniper
    1. Assassin
    2. Culling
    3. Threat-Multiplier
    4. Potshot
    5. Opossum
  • HAT
    1. Titan
    2. Predator
    3. Rocketeer
    4. Tourist
    5. Soft-Target

3. The middle name, or "callsign" is a word describing his teamates' view of him.

A teammate can click on the player's name and choose only one vote from one category. It can be positive or negative.

The votes cover teamwork, communication, discipline, kit/asset skill, etc.

Whichever category garners the most votes, is displayed as his "callsign". If the player hasn't received any votes, no "callsign" is displayed.

Each category has five levels of excellence and works as shown above.

---

MuffriDer: Iron "Hunter" Tactician = A commander who was mostly defensive, a "Hunter" callsign (haven't gone that far), and that the commander was mediocre.

John Doe: Furious Warlord = An aggressive commander who was a superior officer. He hadn't received any callsign (public opinion).

Cool idea , but sounds kinda like world of warcraft characters ;-) . I think ppl would be lost with it in all honesty . I think stats should always stay as points , K/D , but i strongly belive stats should not be shown untill the end of the game . A game like Squad is heavily based on team work and u dont rly need ppl to rambo shit in this type a game .

I don't really think that would fit very well into the atmosphere to be honest.

As alija said, it sounds like WoW or some other RPG thing.

My choice of words is a bit limited. I was hoping that someone would pipe in to help sort out the slang for a HAT guy who can't hit shit. Lol

Initially I thought this was a great idea, especially the teammates voting on a call sign. Thinking about how it would work I am not sure it would offer enough to be truly useful like a numerical score can be (I am a numbers guy).

If people play in the way they are expected (following orders) and a squad mostly defended a position during a round wouldn't all the squad members get the iron tag?

What if the same squad didn't need much medical attention from their medic does he get the 'Quack' level of excellence for his lack of being required or will he be awarded 'Savior' because he done excellent defending? Either way it doesn't indicate how good he is in the role.

I really do like your suggestion but can't see how to make it work effectively other than just a bit of fun.

I do like the voting on a call sign. Someone who's done well (or badly) could be tagged by the squad. It might border on a bit of fun or flip over into bullying at times. I tend to expect the best from people, as I would give to them, but as we all know there are the few who have no morals. Perhaps the call sign could be game generated based on performance in the previous round to eliminate the lesser human behaviour. A bit of a MVP badge awarded by the squad.

I like this idea. And would love to see it wordes out just like this. It's awesome to be honest. Not quite sure it's right for Squad, but would definetely love to see it in a mod :)

Major Trouble, on 28 Jul 2015 - 04:47 AM, said:

Initially I thought this was a great idea, especially the teammates voting on a call sign. Thinking about how it would work I am not sure it would offer enough to be truly useful like a numerical score can be (I am a numbers guy).

The Devs are planning on keeping track of and making those numbers available. Who doesn't like numbers? The whole idea was to get rid of the numbers and focus on whether the person did well.

The names could easily be switched to Excellent & Aggressive Commander, or even The Worst, Worse, Bad, Good, Better, The Best, instead of Furious Warlord, but would it be as fun and light-hearted?

If people play in the way they are expected (following orders) and a squad mostly defended a position during a round wouldn't all the squad members get the iron tag?

The sample Iron tag is only used for defensive commanders. In your scenario, the SL would receive "Staunch", and the SMs would receive "Steady". Like I said earlier, the score system does allow people to gather more information from your name than meets the eye, but it's a nice numberless score.

What if the same squad didn't need much medical attention from their medic does he get the 'Quack' level of excellence for his lack of being required or will he be awarded 'Savior' because he done excellent defending? Either way it doesn't indicate how good he is in the role.

A medic who doesn't pick up players who "literally" bleed to death around him would probably not get a good score. There are other factors that I didn't mention in the OP because that is something the Devs are already concerned about: What goes into the teamwork score. In this case it would be, did the medic die all the time? Did he get kills? Was he with the squad at all? Was he healing the people around him?

A medic who performed excellently in a defensive squad would get Steady Savior, or Steady Healer. A medic who performed poorly in a defensive squad would get Steady Band-Aid, or Steady Quack.

I do like the voting on a call sign. Someone who's done well (or badly) could be tagged by the squad. It might border on a bit of fun or flip over into bullying at times. I tend to expect the best from people, as I would give to them, but as we all know there are the few who have no morals.

Of course call signs can be skewed by trolls or even a prankster friend. It gives people the chance to give a little extra praise/criticism to their comrades in arms.

If the Devs want to go text based score they should talk to you. With your input it could work.

I don't expect anything to come of this concept. It's a response to the whole "We hate K/D!" gripe. I kind of like not having scores. It frees me to fight instead of compulsively checking scoreboards. If people think this is a good alternative, then awesome.