Kiwik

Can't find the right sniper thread

Alright, i know this might sound very stupid, but I'm fairly new to the forum, and I hear that the topic of a designated sniper role has been discussed over and over again.
I have tried using the search engine to find any relevant thread, to educate myself, but typing the words "snier", "special squads", "long range", "scout" has not provided me with suitable results, as all I seem to be getting are recent threads where someone mentions that the issue of snipers has already been discussed in another topic, or that snipers are not a thing anymore, with no explanation.

While I am not entirely sure a sniper role would be a great idea, I'd love to see what's been said about it, and maybe add my own grain of salt. Any kind soul that could point me in the right direction? There are hundreds of results with the search engine, i can' tread them all....

The reason for that is that snipers have long ago been decided to not be within the game's scope. Devs want Squad to have you put on the shoes of regular infantry, and snipers don-t really fit into the gameplay goal. We have marksmen though!

Mods can delete it when they see it if necessary. The topic of snipers comes up every now and then, take your pick... I don't think there is such a thing as "the thread" but the idea comes up pretty regularly. The tl;dr of it all is that in the dev's vision the Sniper is too much of a specialized role in the scenario they want to represent with Squad. Which is regular troops on regular troops. Also that the Sniper won't offer much in terms of teamplay. Then people come back with the "oh but I will mark targets" (when they really mean they want to do sick sniping montages). And the loop goes on. Have a good read.

3 hours ago, SgtHerhi said:

Mods can delete it when they see it if necessary. The topic of snipers comes up every now and then, take your pick... I don't think there is such a thing as "the thread" but the idea comes up pretty regularly. The tl;dr of it all is that in the dev's vision the Sniper is too much of a specialized role in the scenario they want to represent with Squad. Which is regular troops on regular troops. Also that the Sniper won't offer much in terms of teamplay. Then people come back with the "oh but I will mark targets" (when they really mean they want to do sick sniping montages). And the loop goes on. Have a good read.

Best synopsis ever! 

This whole deal about not having a Sniper Class because this is supposed to be a teamwork game kinda falls short because I still can operate as a sniper, but with a limited power. I mean... We have a Marksman Class but I get quite a lot of kills, clear the way for my friends, mitigate the enemy forces and whatnot. I do get to do a lot of "sniping montages" because of this. The lack of a bolt action rifle with high precision and a better scope is not holding me back :P