Kiwik

Back to respawn when shot in the head?

I'll just throw this in here, since this part of the forums seems to be a lot livelier than the Suggestions: what if getting shot in the head meant no bleedout time, and sent you back to the respawn menu? It just doesn't seem realistic and fair that a medic can bring you back from a bullet in the brain with a few bandages. 
Sometimes you'll wipe a full squad with a grenade or such, only for it to be brought back to full combat effectiveness in a matter of minutes, with no loss of tickets.
When long range sniping, you can never be sure to have secured the kill, as any injury can be fully treated by a medic.

I know we already have some kind of a similar mechanic when getting killed by some high caliber weapons, so why not generalize this? If a .50 Cal can prevent you from being treated, why not a bullet to the head?
I'm not sure whether Squad has a functioning armor system implemented yet, but we might fancy one day that having a helmet might save you from lower caliber shots or from angled shots, who knows?

I guess this would mean to overhaul the current tickets system, maybe increase the overall ticket count to compensate for the increased depletion rate?

In most public games medics are under utilised as it is, I don't think we should further be limiting the role of the medic. In fact I'd be looking to expand it. I do see what you're saying but gameplay needs to be considered. It's particularly realistic that a medic can bring someone back to fighting fit after a 50cal round has blow a hole in their chest or taken their leg off either.

Edited by TheGenera1

And what about the execution of the enemies lying on the ground so that they can no longer be revived by the medic? Shot for sure death.

People on the ground waiting for revival are totally immortal. It can explode a couple of grenades near them, then the doctor revives them. As if nothing had happened.

22 minutes ago, TheGenera1 said:

In most public games medics are under utilised as it is, I don't think we should further be limiting the role of the medic. In fact I'd be looking to expand it. I do see what you're saying but gameplay needs to be considered. It's particularly realistic that a medic can bring someone back to fighting fit after a 50cal round has blow a hole in their chest or taken their leg off either.

This is why I suggested in my previous thread that it should be implemented alongside some kind of Medics overhaul: we already know that the devs are thinking about individual limb condition, and I suggested adding some kind of more complex healing system, like diagnostics and different kinds of treatment (bandages, morphin, etc...). Individual limb condition would mean you need a medic to heal you to get you back to full combat effectiveness: if shot in the leg, you limp, if shot in the arm, aiming is a lot more difficult.

It would transition the medic from a ticket-saving machine to a more complex and useful role. No squad could hope to maintain optimal effectiveness without a medic.

10 minutes ago, kuracino said:

And what about the execution of the enemies lying on the ground so that they can no longer be revived by the medic? Shot for sure death.

People on the ground waiting for revival are totally immortal. It can explode a couple of grenades near them, then the doctor revives them. As if nothing had happened.

I thought about that, but it might be a bit too excessive? One reason to justify the current system could be to consider that all the forces involved abide by the Geneva Convention, which provides that harming an injured or incapacitated enemy combatant is a war crime.
Some might say the insurgent forces wouldn't respect the Convention, but as as law student, I can say you'd be surprised to learn that most irregular forces in modern conflict theaters tend to abide by the laws of war, broadly speaking.

3 hours ago, Kiwik said:

This is why I suggested in my previous thread that it should be implemented alongside some kind of Medics overhaul: we already know that the devs are thinking about individual limb condition, and I suggested adding some kind of more complex healing system, like diagnostics and different kinds of treatment (bandages, morphin, etc...). Individual limb condition would mean you need a medic to heal you to get you back to full combat effectiveness: if shot in the leg, you limp, if shot in the arm, aiming is a lot more difficult.

It would transition the medic from a ticket-saving machine to a more complex and useful role. No squad could hope to maintain optimal effectiveness without a medic.

I thought about that, but it might be a bit too excessive? One reason to justify the current system could be to consider that all the forces involved abide by the Geneva Convention, which provides that harming an injured or incapacitated enemy combatant is a war crime.
Some might say the insurgent forces wouldn't respect the Convention, but as as law student, I can say you'd be surprised to learn that most irregular forces in modern conflict theaters tend to abide by the laws of war, broadly speaking.

I can assure you that were the Taliban to get a hold of a foreign soldier, he would be tortured in the most hideous of ways before being executed. As for the Militia rebels, I could maybe believe they might be more inclined to respect the rules of war. However, I have no direct experience in the Eastern European conflict. Way before my time.

I would definitely agree with you that the medic system needs overhauling. In fact, I do find it rather silly that enemy forces can empty 100's of rounds into a body and it can still be healed. Personally, I'd like to you unable to return fire while bleeding out. Yes, it can happen with adrenaline and stuff, but for most of us mere mortals, being shot means inability to return fire at least for a while. Medic could sort this. I think once someone is incapacitated, the role of the medic should be to "heal" them but they can only respawn (without ticket loss). Also, possibly if a medic heals you once you're totally incapacitated, you should be able to instant respawn (But not carry on fighting). This would symbolise a casualty evacuation etc.

Well, nowhere is it stated that you're actually fighting Talibans, is it (honest question)? Still, it would be hard to justify the US and Russian forces doing the same: as I said, it's a war crime to kill an incapacitated soldier, and that would make the game completely unbalanced, or way too dependent on players role-playing if you allowed both sides to shoot injured soldiers.

As for the medic, we agree completely. I think this role can aspire to be something more than just a "lemme patch you and off you go" kind of endeavour.

I played in the closed pre-alpha build where headshots did just this. Simply put, it was not fun for the majority of the small community playing the game then. I'm talking about when you would have to wait until the weekend for the CPA servers to go online so you could get your Squad fix. I think the game design decision to revert insta kill headshots for rifle calibers was a good move. Having calibers larger than 12.7mm be insta kill headshots like it is currently makes medics worthwhile to play. Now if we can just get their binocs back... 

19 minutes ago, DesmoLocke said:

Now if we can just get their binocs back... 

Billy-D_Approves.gif

Look at how many headshots I did in this small video. Tons of guys would have to spawn in main.

Well, I'm down with making it more realistic, but there's a lot of noobs out there that would abandon the game if it got too hardcore. But, I can only dream that someday we'll get a mod that your suggestion is made into reality and we will once again find good use to the transport trucks. If people keep getting forced to spawn back in main base, then transport trucks would play a larger role in battle. Progression in the battlefield would have to be more careful and planned. Also we would have to protect the transport truck instead of just leaving it in the middle of the battlefield like we're playing a casual game such as Battlefield... haha