Kiwik

Perma-death on headshots?

I'll just throw this in here: what if getting shot in the head meant no bleedout time, and sent you back to the respawn menu? it just doesn't seem realistic and fair that a medic can bring you back from a bullet in the brain with a few bandages. 

I guess this would mean to overhaul the current tickets system, maybe increase the overall ticket count and make it so RPs allow for more re-spawns?

Isn't that what a helmet is for? Also, can't wait to see all of the negative comments coming your way for buffing RP's...

2 hours ago, CptDirty said:

Isn't that what a helmet is for? Also, can't wait to see all of the negative comments coming your way for buffing RP's...

Do helmets stop a direct hit from a rifle? Honest question, I don't know.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, CptDirty said:

Well, a helmet cannot save you 100% of the time, so...
It still seems weird to see that guy with blown out brains get back to full combat effectiveness in 10 seconds straight. :/
I might even go as far as to say that you should be able to finish off incapacitated enemies (which is technically a violation of the Geneve Treaty, but yeah...).
Some might argue that it might make the medic role a lot less useful, though.
Still, if individual limb condition is ever implemented in the game, a medic would still be important to have, maybe not for the exact same reasons though.

And my suggestion to buff Rps was only an idea to compensate the increased loss of tickets, if a HS results in a respawn.

Edited by Kiwik

45 minutes ago, Kiwik said:

Still, if individual limb condition is ever implemented in the game, a medic would still be important to have, maybe not for the exact same reasons though.

Q: Is individual limb condition still being considered? Can we expect to walk slower, or sway our weapons more, if we've been shot in a leg or arm? If so, how do you plan to have the players return to full combat effectiveness? A simple medic heal, or something more? - TheNirl
A: We have talked a good amount about being damaged impacting your combat effectiveness in general, which could happen pre-1.0. That said, I wouldn't go as far as to say it would be limb specific or realistic, it would be meant as a gameplay feature to encourage people to properly have a medic in their squad and work together.

3 minutes ago, CptDirty said:
Q: Is individual limb condition still being considered? Can we expect to walk slower, or sway our weapons more, if we've been shot in a leg or arm? If so, how do you plan to have the players return to full combat effectiveness? A simple medic heal, or something more? - TheNirl
A: We have talked a good amount about being damaged impacting your combat effectiveness in general, which could happen pre-1.0. That said, I wouldn't go as far as to say it would be limb specific or realistic, it would be meant as a gameplay feature to encourage people to properly have a medic in their squad and work together.

I know, you posted the exact same thing on my other thread, mate x)
But this is not the topic of the current thread.

think head shot already insta kills does it not? ... well in saying that I can unload a whole clip into someone and they still fire back.

46 minutes ago, embecmom said:

think head shot already insta kills does it not? ... well in saying that I can unload a whole clip into someone and they still fire back.

As far as I know only headshots from heavy machine guns and 30mm cannons instakill people now, other weapons still put you in the wounded state.

Yeah its not that realistic but it happened to me a lot to get instantly kiled by high caliber weapon, ied,mine,and so on.

But i do agree a headshot is a f.....g headshot especially coming from a sniper.

People are talking about helmets but what if you are shot straight in the face no helmet there.

7 minutes ago, Major Trouble said:

Interesting stuff

I always hated and never trusted this new helmets,even when i was in the the army i did trade with a buddy i gave him this new one and i took the helmet he got the old metal one with a J.N.A star on the front.Dont know but it feels a lot safer wearing that one.

https://goo.gl/images/zqxqUJ

I vaguely remember a time where headshots were debated and a change was introduced to the game in an effort to encourage players to wait for a medic. Can't find the exact official changelog but I'm sure permanent death on headshot were removed for this specific reason. 

how do the hitpoints work in squad?  if its not location based shots atm is there actually armour or does it just calculate the calibre of the bullet hitting the target and how much damage that does vs the no. of hit points the body has?

Perma-death after headshot by 50-cal(12.7 mm) bullet is currently realised in the game. I would also suggest to realise perma-death after headshots by SVD's, M110's bullets, not AKM or M4.

11 hours ago, OXOTHNK said:

Perma-death after headshot by 50-cal(12.7 mm) bullet is currently realised in the game. I would also suggest to realise perma-death after headshots by SVD's, M110's bullets, not AKM or M4.

Ooooo come on a head shot is a head shot with any weapon.

On 3/30/2018 at 12:35 PM, Bahrein said:

Well, it might be worth having a more complex system (a headshot with a 9mm a close range is still usually fatal, but as the distance increases...), but I'm not sure that's very high on the devs' list of priorities.

On 3/30/2018 at 6:35 AM, Bahrein said:

Not necessarily man, a couple of my boys have taken headshots, even with a 7.62, and walked away with only a headache and a scar. Distance and impact angle come into play a lot more than you may think.

Granted, you take a headshot from a dshka or .50 you're boned either way. Maybe a penetration system like what was just implemented with armor?

7 minutes ago, WilliamBee said:

Not necessarily man, a couple of my boys have taken headshots, even with a 7.62, and walked away with only a headache and a scar. Distance and impact angle come into play a lot more than you may think.

Granted, you take a headshot from a dshka or .50 you're boned either way. Maybe a penetration system like what was just implemented with armor?

Agreed, we need something more than just 'aim for the head get a free kill'.
Might be worth waiting for the armor system to be implemented, but still, some headshots should get you down for good.

On 4/6/2018 at 6:03 PM, WilliamBee said:

I was not thinking of a headshot from 2km away when i wrote that i thought of closer type of fights.

From far away many things efect a bullet that is true and the bulet punching power is lost too.So a simple helmet would deflect a bullet easily. 

Any bullet hitting you in the head is not good. We can all agree on that. But the whole other side of this debate is medics and their usefulness / usability should permanent death be implemented to a degree of realism. It's already hard enough as is to get medics, do you honestly think this suggestion will encourage the medics when all their friendlies permanently die quicker than they already are?

key word: BALANCE

On 4/9/2018 at 4:08 PM, CptDirty said:

Any bullet hitting you in the head is not good. We can all agree on that. But the whole other side of this debate is medics and their usefulness / usability should permanent death be implemented to a degree of realism. It's already hard enough as is to get medics, do you honestly think this suggestion will encourage the medics when all their friendlies permanently die quicker than they already are?

key word: BALANCE

I see your point, but it's been repeated time after time that the medics role is going to change in the future (the devs said so themselves in the latest Reddit AMA). if a more complex wound system is implemented - say that a wounded soldier moves slower, or has a less steady aim- the role of a medic will be more than just "I'm a ticket-saving machine". Every squad will need to have a dedicated medic to keep its soldiers at full combat effectiveness.

From what I recall instant kill headshots was how it worked in the pre-alpha before Steam release and was changed, but that might be me misremembering.

I personally prefer the way it is now though, since only 12.7mm and up can instant kill you it makes those weapons far more dangerous which is cool.

7 hours ago, Stom said:

From what I recall instant kill headshots was how it worked in the pre-alpha before Steam release and was changed, but that might be me misremembering.

I personally prefer the way it is now though, since only 12.7mm and up can instant kill you it makes those weapons far more dangerous which is cool.

Though the upcoming suppression system might change things a bit, right now a lot of players feel like the game is still a bit too forgiving. If you take the example of some well-known youtubers, like arkamut, they prefer playing on 1-life servers, because the fear of long respawn times and the pression make for a much more compelling experience. People keep their heads down when shot at, for fear of a stray headshot, like in real life.
 I think that a lot of players, myself included, have a tendency to take actions they probably would not take in real life, simply because they know it's alright if they get downed, a medic can always get them back up. Peeking over a ridge when under fire is a very bad idea, and should be penalized, for instance.

1 hour ago, Kiwik said:

they prefer playing on 1-life servers

Those are organized matches by the server owners. A very different and more specialized type of gameplay in contrast to public matches. Ask yourself this question:

"Will all new players (0-5 hours) enjoy such hardcore implementations?"

I personally don't think so. 

22 hours ago, Kiwik said:

if a more complex wound system is implemented - say that a wounded soldier moves slower, or has a less steady aim- the role of a medic will be more than just "I'm a ticket-saving machine"

also, the conversation is about permanent death upon headshot from all calibers, not individual limb condition. A more complex medical system is not the solution as in both cases a headshot will be fatal (as it is irl) which will dissuade players from playing the medic role. This will further slow down overall gameplay to a point where Squad will side more on realism then user experience....Again...Balance....