Mickyrack

I'm 14, will I be able to have an enjoyable squad experience?

Hello. As you have seen my title, it's around the subject of Kids playing squad. Everyone hates kids, Right? Squeakers. Dolphins. Well, I for one am 14. I don't have much of a deep pitch voice, therefore classed as a Squeaker. Most games, I've been rejected. I know the objective of the game, I follow it, I talk once, I get kicked. Yes, we have many bad examples of "Kids" out there. "Your mom!" and all that. But seeing the reputation we've been given, I don't even know. I want to buy this game with the remaining money I have left, But I don't want to be a mute, and I'm paranoid of people calling me a Squeaker. I've seen various topics on this forum regarding Kids. Whether it be Funny encounters, Stupid moves, all that. But most people seem to disagree with the opinions of the people who are against us. I've seen this community act against that. I just want to know, if I were to join, would I be accepted? Or left with the rest of the kids. I don't know anymore. But thank you for reading this.

You know what is sillier than kids playing video games? --Adults playing video games. :-)

I am sure most people would be ok. Maybe you can get a voice-pitch lower filter or something in case they give you a hard time. =) It is kind of a hard core game though. If you really are into that. I say go for it! Growing up means taking place in the adult world. An anonymous game like this might actually be a very good place to practise bossing around adults. See what happens. :-)

I find I actually learnt some leadership skills here which must be quite unique for a video game. I am 38 years old. I feel very silly though sitting at home playing video games like a 14-year old! I tend to not talk about it much actually. Hehe. 

Whatever you do don't kill your teammates though! They don't like that. 

I take it you were playing during the last free weekend? Not very conclusive as far as general attitude of the regular player-base. Not saying you won't run into people like that, but the person who isn't talking and/or isn't listening gets kicked quicker than a person with an "abnormal" vocal chord condition, in my experience.

I will admit that I have my assumptions ready when a "squeaky voice" joins my squad, but it really depends on your level of cooperation and teamwork. I guess this reaction comes from some of my experiences with younger players and their level of maturity. Often they have trouble following orders, fill comms with annoying or useless information, question decisions and lack experience generally in gaming. That being said, I've also had a couple of surprisingly good experiences. If Squad really floats your boat I wouldn't let any of the negative responses bother you too much and just join. Improve your chances and don't talk too much, relay necessary information, follow orders etc.

You could be the best player but somebody is still going to abuse you.

Unfortunately that's how it is.

On 3/24/2018 at 12:23 PM, Mickyrack said:

Hello. As you have seen my title, it's around the subject of Kids playing squad. Everyone hates kids, Right? Squeakers. Dolphins. Well, I for one am 14. I don't have much of a deep pitch voice, therefore classed as a Squeaker. Most games, I've been rejected. I know the objective of the game, I follow it, I talk once, I get kicked. Yes, we have many bad examples of "Kids" out there. "Your mom!" and all that. But seeing the reputation we've been given, I don't even know. I want to buy this game with the remaining money I have left, But I don't want to be a mute, and I'm paranoid of people calling me a Squeaker. I've seen various topics on this forum regarding Kids. Whether it be Funny encounters, Stupid moves, all that. But most people seem to disagree with the opinions of the people who are against us. I've seen this community act against that. I just want to know, if I were to join, would I be accepted? Or left with the rest of the kids. I don't know anymore. But thank you for reading this.

My experience has generally been yes, some folks will be jerks about it, but most of them would find another way to be a jerk anyhow. What cuts that off is the folks that are willing to admit they're new, or ask for help, regardless of their age.

As an OWI representative, we're all for anyone and everyone playing. =) I'm also confident there's a community somewhere within Squad that offers the right experience for everyone. We've got a diverse intersection of gamers, hailing from more action-oriented backgrounds to more simulated ones, gamers from around the world, all walks of life, and all ages. If someone's talking smack, they've probably had it handed to them by someone half their age once or twice before. ;)

If you'd like to play in an environment where this won't happen, feel free to add my steam: TheGenera1 (picture of a space marine) you can play with New Generation Clan.  As long as you don't talk incessantly (which is annoying regardless of age) I'm sure you'll find playing with us a fun experience :)

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I had much worst experience playing Squad with adults versus the younger crowd. I think it's because the older you get the less imagination and less willingness to play the role one has. The reality is that you will get some hate coming your way for no valid reason other than your voice, but what you can do to compensate is ace whatever role you're in and be a team player. Other squad mates will quickly catch on how sharp you are and will appreciate your support. 

Just like in life I'm seeing and hearing a lot more immaturity from the older crowd whereas the younger crowd usually are more quiet, mature and minimal on VoIP.

I am done with all these idiots just because  a squeaky voice joined the squad they start getting their judgements on him. ****ing accept it, kids , teens, even 60 year olds have the right to play a game.

if u go againts an adult insulting u , say FUQ OFF.

You'll probably get shit on because of your age/voice, just like you would in any other video game with voice comms. However, from what I've seen (387 hours), play your role to the best of your ability, listen to your squad leader, and generally just be a good team player and most people won't mind. Just remember that it's totally random whether or not you'll encounter that guy in your squad that doesn't think minors should play video games. 

Posted (edited)

Just seeing you coming here and asking if its worth a shot ill tell you there wont be an issue. Sure some dickheads may shittalk you but just ignore it - theyre the kind that just shittalks everyone because theyre simply horrible salty humans. Most people hate kids in video games simply bcuz the majority of them act out all crazy 247 and generally cannot behave.

I doubt youre having any issues of that sort, so just hop in and be nice/play together and youll meet some good people who wont have any issues with your age. Just be a nice humble human being and everything is fine.

Edited by Chew_Kok_Long

Posted (edited)
On 25.3.2018 at 5:35 AM, Fosty said:

You could be the best player but somebody is still going to abuse you.

Unfortunately that's how it is.

That is true however it doesn`t have anything to do with age. Some people on the internet are just absolute shitheads, and they`ll abuse any and everyone.

Truth shall be told, im usually the first one to start shittakling regular edgy 12 year old wannabe bullies who think theyre all so cool. Just cant stand this "im the coolest clown in school" attitude.

Edited by Chew_Kok_Long

Hello, welcome to the Community!

If you're interested in joining a clan/community, leave a post in this thread here.

Please read up these 2 links and enjoy your time here:

There will always be people negative towards you, be it because they don't agree with your type of person, way of acting, thoughts, your voice in a VOIP enabled game, or anything else.

Nobody is excluded in this, and nobody has to be. It is your fight to stay above negative energy which goes towards you, let it pass you, ignore it and forget about it like you do with bad odors in everyday life. Learn to accept that you can't and won't ever control everything.

You will be accepted by experienced and ripe players, who know exactly that everyone has a starting point. Take me for an example, I played video games since I was 6 years old, that was back in 1998. My first online VOIP game was Battlefield 2 in 2006, and yes, people didn't always like me. I kept at it anyways.

However, this topic was talked about many many times in the past time. Therefore, a merged thread was created to continue discussion on the subject in a collected informational way. Please refer to the following link to continue on the topic:
http://forums.joinsquad.com/topic/31963-im-a-kid-how-will-people-react-towards-me-and-how-should-i-behave/

I thank you for your understanding and hope you will find a lot of useful information there.
/locked