Dr.Stone

Mod Integration With The Core Game

I have seen the many modding recaps and they look really promising!

They might not be up to the Dev's standards of quality but probably really close. Encase you have not see them here's few of them. 

t9IddB4.jpgEueFpQp.jpg

I know there is a lot of content that people want but the devs are at capacity trying to improve the game. And a lot of the factions that players want wont make it in the game or at least not for a long time. I was wondering would it be possible for modders to send their finished mods into the devs, and if it is good enough and fits their vision for the game the devs could improve and integrate the mods into the game? I think this was done with project reality but I might be mistaken. This could also keep squad from turning into ARMA with the 40 mods you need to play on a good server. 

ANYWAY 

Keep up the good work guys :D

55 minutes ago, Dr.Stone said:

I was wondering would it be possible for modders to send their finished mods into the devs, and if it is good enough and fits their vision for the game the devs could improve and integrate the mods into the game?

I remember there was a beautiful BTR one of the users here made and offered to the team long ago.

I can't remember if they didn't take it because of a rights conflict or if it was something else.

Also I really want to play as Finland.

Perkele

2 hours ago, Dr.Stone said:

I was wondering would it be possible for modders to send their finished mods into the devs, and if it is good enough and fits their vision for the game the devs could improve and integrate the mods into the game?

From what i recall, the Devs would only be adding community created content into the Squad, base game, if it met thier level of standard (which will be pretty high, understandably) - and even then i would imagine completely at thier discretion as to what "fits" Squad, as a base/vanilla game.

For example: Al-Basrah is i think the first map, made by ChanceBrah (hope i got that right), to be included.

I, however, wouldn't expect my mod to be included because i don't have the time or level of skills to create really complex models (not atm at least), but seeing as how it's mainly about a gameplay modification, with a heap of added models/objects, that is somewhat divergent from Squad's style, i'm more than happy for it to be a standalone mod.

As for the Devs improving ... i'm not so sure. That could be entirely dependent on what the actual 'thing' is - if'it's a low'ish level scripting thing then they might very well tweek it to better suit how they have the game doing things, but anything outside that i'd say no they probably won't.

or i could be entirely wrong :D ;p

As someone who was once a modder for squad now a developer, i can safely say we are always looking at what modders are creating.

Kokan was the first community made map turned official which i created based off the PR map.

Basrah was the second community made map turned official which i also created based off the PR map with the help of other modders such as @Stom @Assi and modder turned developer @Axton.

Im not 100% sure the guys names so i cant mention them but we had community members from the modding discord create the Russian resupply ammo crate, the ammo boxes on Mestia and with mentioning Mestia, it was a created by @Axton as a modder which turned official based off the PR map.

Like i've said we do look at what content is out there but we need to ask ourselves.

Is it suited to what we have so far? as in we cant go having island maps cause we dont have boats.

weapons we dont currently have the system for.

is there much work required to get it to official standards... we might see something that has potental but do we really have the time to help that modder get to that stage and continue with our own work.....

and many other things... Id also suggest anyone thinking they have something that could be official shouldnt go chasing devs around, we will come to you.

We're always watching

Yup! There's a lot of awesome content out there being created by modders that matches the quality level of developers but there's no point taking it and including it into the game if there's no context behind it.

The two weapons OP has shown is a great example. They're very well done, but what would the developers do with 2 weapons that belong to a specific military IRL? If modders were to say, make a full faction and it matches the quality AND it's made in line with the core gameplay of Squad, then it very well might be looked at by the developers and considered to be added in.

Maps are currently the easiest to create in terms of compatibility. All you need to do is create a map and then put existing factions on it and it's playable. However, factions require weapons, vehicles, characters, equipment etc. Making a weapon pack would be useless from an integration standpoint unless it fits into the current factions, otherwise you would have to make a full faction for those weapons to have context.

For example, if I make a Mosin Nagant, Lee Enfield and DP28 as a weapon pack, those weapons would be much easier to fit into the rest of the game through the Insurgents faction by the developers. However, RK95, RK62 etc are all weapons that belong to a specific military IRL. 

It all needs to be good quality, follow the core gameplay of Squad and most of all, have context within Squad. :D

20 hours ago, ChanceBrahh said:

As someone who was once a modder for squad now a developer, i can safely say we are always looking at what modders are creating.

Kokan was the first community made map turned official which i created based off the PR map.

Basrah was the second community made map turned official which i also created based off the PR map with the help of other modders such as @Stom @Assi and modder turned developer @Axton.

Im not 100% sure the guys names so i cant mention them but we had community members from the modding discord create the Russian resupply ammo crate, the ammo boxes on Mestia and with mentioning Mestia, it was a created by @Axton as a modder which turned official based off the PR map.

Like i've said we do look at what content is out there but we need to ask ourselves.

Is it suited to what we have so far? as in we cant go having island maps cause we dont have boats.

weapons we dont currently have the system for.

is there much work required to get it to official standards... we might see something that has potental but do we really have the time to help that modder get to that stage and continue with our own work.....

and many other things... Id also suggest anyone thinking they have something that could be official shouldnt go chasing devs around, we will come to you.

We're always watching

Aye that's really cool of you guys! Thumbs up.

Confirmed, we're always watching. ;)

The FDF folks are doing some really beautiful work too -- love seeing them in The Wrench.