Leroy

What is a milsim server?

In the server browser I sometimes see "mil-sim" or "milsim" in a server name. What does that mean? I know it's short for military simulation but what does it mean in the context of a specific server? Are there different rules? Is the server running a mod?

Well if you're seeing it in the main server browser, it's definitely not running a mod (or it'll be shut down pretty soon :P) so the only logical conclusion is that the admin team focuses on running the server in a very strict manner, with chain of command and teamplay as required, not just suggested. 

would expect to see them simulating army command structure, movement and communication .. I joined a milsim clan

a while ago and they wanted to go through a 'training' session which was basically to follow the command of the SL and respond in a specific way with 'yes sir' etc... plus understanding of movement, callouts and weapons .  

MILSIM servers are just like any other. They have rules, and each server the rules are a little different. But don't expect a strict military chain of command type of atmosphere of rules you have to follow. They have server rules just like any other. The reason it says MILSIM is because it helps promote the group and tells you that if you join the unit, you can expect a military-like atmosphere when playing in squads.

On 3/19/2018 at 4:56 AM, Leroy said:

What is a milsim server?

An empty server which everyone claims will be great but in reality is a light drain on the playerbase for more fun gameplay oriented servers.

On 3/19/2018 at 7:27 AM, Psyrus said:

Well if you're seeing it in the main server browser, it's definitely not running a mod (or it'll be shut down pretty soon :P) so the only logical conclusion is that the admin team focuses on running the server in a very strict manner, with chain of command and teamplay as required, not just suggested. 

Hey, i haven't been here in a while, can you expand on what you mean by servers being shut down if they are running a mod? Squads has a mod workshop so this makes no sense to me, if there is a mod that adds a map or improves gameplay, and people play it because they prefer it over default squad, why would the devs shut it down? 

My guess is that because the game is still in Alpha, the devs don't want licensed servers all running around with mods because it stops them pinpointing all the stuff that needs fixing.

6 minutes ago, TheGenera1 said:

My guess is that because the game is still in Alpha, the devs don't want licensed servers all running around with mods because it stops them pinpointing all the stuff that needs fixing.

It is possible, on the other hand those modded servers are in the separate "custom servers" tab if i am not mistaken, people reporting errors on those should probably report them only to the mod maker , not the devs themselves. Seems like the most optimal solution to me but i may be wrong as i am not a game dev.

Right, but if everyone is running mods (even on the licensed one) it lessens the amount of people who can provide feedback related to the alpha.

15 hours ago, MilosV said:

Hey, i haven't been here in a while, can you expand on what you mean by servers being shut down if they are running a mod? Squads has a mod workshop so this makes no sense to me, if there is a mod that adds a map or improves gameplay, and people play it because they prefer it over default squad, why would the devs shut it down? 

Sorry my wording wasn't clear, when I said "main" server browser, I meant the one that isn't the "custom" servers' browser. Any modded servers should be on the custom tab, and if they're running as "vanilla" licensed servers but enabled mods, that would be a breach of the EULA as far as I know. I don't even know if it's possible to do that, TBH. 

Confirming that mods should currently appear in the custom tab at the moment, though we're looking into some solutions to get them a little more visibility.

And we're not banning for mods. Don't worry! If you have any questions about what is or isn't allowed, hit us up in Discord.