Deputy_Swan

Placeable Flag Pole! or Flag

So today in the TBG Server my squad was building a mega fob, and we had the idea, it would be bad ass if each faction had a place-able flag pole of types.  Something you could put on a roof to show off your fob if you so wished.

I have never heard this brought up before.

Thanks!

the-north-carolina-state-flag-is-flown-with-pride-on-forward-operating-HEHYHA.jpg

5xmg_4.jpg

Yeah place able within 10m of the FOB. Show everyone where your at. :)

i plan on having an animated flag on Caps to show capture & ownership state, if i get it to work for my mod.

but, tbh, i would not want them on a FOB/HAB in Squad though, coz this >

4 hours ago, Smee said:

Show everyone where your at. :)

4 hours ago, LaughingJack said:

i plan on having an animated flag on Caps to show capture & ownership state, if i get it to work for my mod.

but, tbh, i would not want them on a FOB/HAB in Squad though, coz this >

Would you get rid of the HUD cap bar in your mod. Stop players hiding in corners if they have to watch the flag fall / raise to know if they're capping. Enemies outside the cap zone could be able to watch the flag to know if it's being capped as well.

Not sure if that's good or bad for gameplay. I can think of a time where myself a two squad mates had capped a point and were waiting for the friendly team to move up and support the new cap. Before that could happen the enemy team moved back and retook the point with weight of numbers but did not cleared us out. We didn't engage them as we were clearly outnumbered. The enemy moved off away from the cap zone we retook the point again. That caused the enemy team to come back again followed by a push from by our team which in turn ended up with us pushing the enemy back to their first cap as we rolled forward. Now if there was a raised flag and the enemy moved just outside the cap zone they could see there was enemy in the area with their flag lowering and determine they were maybe larger force than the one that had been capping them back. They could then sweep the point without making it to far away before realising they've been back capped.

I tend to play medic a fair bit and, depending on how the game is playing out, I will hang back after capping a point to see if there are enemies about for the very scenario I described above. Although the info was available before having a flag just makes it easier for everyone to see even when they're not in the cap zone. Now is that a good or bad thing? I can't decide myself.

i like the idea of replacing flag capturing/defending progress bar with the actual flagpole, this could prove to be an interesting game mechanic.

side missions with a statistic shown at the end of the game.

Number of enemy flags captured and returned to base. No need for points or game effect, just fun.

Could be really funny to have your flag visible on the map being carried by enemy forces.

35 minutes ago, suds said:

side missions with a statistic shown at the end of the game.

Number of enemy flags captured and returned to base. No need for points or game effect, just fun.

Could be really funny to have your flag visible on the map being carried by enemy forces.

LoL. Capture the flag! Next you'll be proposing Team Deathmatch.

This is exactly how bf2 did it. There was a physical flag in the center of a cap point. I think Squad should implement something like this but in a more sophisticated manner. There's some really cool concepts behind this in terms of game mechanic.

As far as aesthetics go, I'm all for only having the SL be able to place these flags. I did just spend 25 minutes defending a FOB on papanov that the enemy CLEARLY know where it is then why not taunt them while they try to get in. 

On 3/15/2018 at 8:26 PM, Major Trouble said:

1. Would you get rid of the HUD cap bar in your mod.

2. Stop players hiding in corners if they have to watch the flag fall / raise to know if they're capping.

3. Enemies outside the cap zone could be able to watch the flag to know if it's being capped as well.

1. HUD progress bar - no, it will be kept (i'd like to move and/or modify it tho.) - the 'Flag' would simply be an indicator in the game world to compliment the progress bar in the HUD.

2. No 'have to' watch anything as the HUD Bar is still there.

3. All players could see it - i don't see a problem with this. In fact if i get it to work i will have persistent HUD elements for contestable and previous Caps (per team), so you can always see the state of the currently important zones to your team.

4. Not sure if that's good or bad for gameplay. I can think of a time where myself a two squad mates had capped a point and were waiting for the friendly team to move up and support the new cap. Before that could happen the enemy team moved back and retook the point with weight of numbers but did not cleared us out. We didn't engage them as we were clearly outnumbered. The enemy moved off away from the cap zone we retook the point again. That caused the enemy team to come back again followed by a push from by our team which in turn ended up with us pushing the enemy back to their first cap as we rolled forward.

5. Now if there was a raised flag and the enemy moved just outside the cap zone they could see there was enemy in the area with their flag lowering and determine they were maybe larger force than the one that had been capping them back. They could then sweep the point without making it to far away before realising they've been back capped.

4. In traditional (true) AAS what you describe seems to be correct. Both teams fight over the Cap until one team wins it. However that Cap is still contestable because it needs to be defended until your team can Advance to, And Secure, the next-Cap-in-line. Once your next-Cap-in-line is won, then your previous Cap becomes non-contestable by the enemy, and the only way it can be taken again by the enemy is if they force a reverse in direction of the battle by defending well and attacking their next base (your current defense Cap) and forcing you off of it, thus allowing them to Cap and Own it, and make that previous Cap of yours contestable again.

ahh sorry, just realised i prolly didn't need to type all that, oh well :P

5. I think i see a problem now - this paragraph would suggest that there is no notification (visual or otherwise) of your currently Owned Cap being attacked by enemies entering your Cap zone - whilst you are not defending it or do not have weight of numbers advantage for defending it but the enemy has weight of numbers advantage for attacking it. Also, the 'Flag' will not necessarily be visible all the time due to obstructions in the way - depends on your POV in-game.

If i get it to work i will be adding sound and visual notifications for when you or an enemy Claims the Cap (due to weight of number advantage) before actually taking the Cap, and for when a team completes reducing a Cap, to then Claim it, and for when a team finishes taking a Cap and thus Owns it - these would all be Public Notifications, so all players know what's happening.

I tend to play medic a fair bit and, depending on how the game is playing out, I will hang back after capping a point to see if there are enemies about for the very scenario I described above.

Although the info was available before having a flag just makes it easier for everyone to see even when they're not in the cap zone. Now is that a good or bad thing? I can't decide myself.

Perfectly good and reasonable tactic ;) .

I will also be trying to implement into the HUD, a counter of Friendly and Enemy numbers for the current Cap (as per JO). However in Squad, due to it's more role-playing nature i don't think it would be a 'good' thing - or maybe not, i don't know. Another thing i'd love to implement, but can't because UE4 can't draw circles (zomg lols!), is Cap zone perimeters/boundaries on the map. Again something that Squad should probably not have.

Your description of play above is quite similar to a highly successful tactic our squad(clan) used regularly in JointOps matches - we would purposefully get out of the zone to trick the other team into moving forward (off-Cap) until they were at a point where we could pop back in and take the zone with weight of numbers before they could get back and defend it. If they were dumb enough or un-organised and didn't leave a defense group then they got rolled.

I distinctly remember myself and two others were given the job of infiltration group - we would sneak in around the back and take cover literally 1m from the zone perimeter, then wait for the enemy team to move out, leaving only 2-3 defenders. Once the enemy was well-engaged we would use our MP5-S (suppressed) smg's to, as quietly as possible, take out the defenders in one timed hit and crawl over the perimeter line, allowing us to halt their spawn, then one of us would run in and claim 'the centre' to start taking the Cap. Most of the time the other team didn't even know what was happening until they couldn't spawn anymore at their Cap, which was of course far too late and they ended up in the middle of a meat grinder and forced to spawn one Cap further back. As soon as our team had even just one player entering that zone we would up-stumps and move to the next zone and attempt the same tactic.

The one major thing, in general, in JointOps was to get as many(as required) attacking peeps into the Cap as quickly as possible and hold it until the next Cap was won, whereupon we could then leapfrog forward to the next contestable Cap and become the attacking group, whilst the just-won Cap was now defended by the previous attack group.

On 3/16/2018 at 1:52 AM, CptDirty said:

the enemy CLEARLY know where it is then why not taunt them while they try to get in. 

haha! yeppers to that :)

soz for the wall-o-text.

Posted (edited)
On 3/15/2018 at 4:52 PM, CptDirty said:

As far as aesthetics go, I'm all for only having the SL be able to place these flags. I did just spend 25 minutes defending a FOB on papanov that the enemy CLEARLY know where it is then why not taunt them while they try to get in

Oh, I miss the taunting in JO... How many unsuspecting enemies I did fool with that to believe there is some wacko who doesn't know a thing and sneak killed them while they came to patrol in the area. ..  Like a fishing you know a lure and hooks. :D

Edited by WARti0k0ne -BG-