CoolBreeze3

Let us see kills in game in the TAB screen + others

My suggestions would be:

• To add some sort of in-game achievements, like badges and medals that we earn by achieving the corresponding kills/kills with a certain weapon, headshots, etc, etc.. 
  • To add an in-game report system, or an interface where we can click on other members user names from the TAB menu, which would allow us to access their Steam profile, as well. (Mainly I would just like a way to report problem players, easily and directly to Squad staff.)
  • Let us see when we get KILLS, in game, either by being able to see them when we press tab, or giving us a little sign, of some sort.

Posted (edited)

I don't think any kind of kill scoring system would emphasize this game's objective correctly. Games like rs2 and insurgency have kill tracking and a persistent k/d and it makes players play differently. When a game rewards personal achievement and skill, it causes more lone wolf style gameplay which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it's not what squad is built on. If there is a point scoring system added, I think it should emphasize and reward teamwork aspects like capturing objectives, destroying enemy fobs, healing and revives, and logistics. 

The moment we see kill and K/D tracking added is the moment that teamwork becomes an afterthought and personal achievement becomes a priority for players in general. That is something I would not want to see in squad, and I'm 99% sure the devs feel the same way.

Also to your last point about being able to see kills as you get them: there's a specific reason that there is no kill feed. It's a part of the realism aspect, and being able to tell when enemies are dead is a game changing mechanic. For example, if you know there's an enemy squad attacking and everyone calls out their kills, you'd know exactly when the enemies are cleared out. You'd know if that guy on the other side of a wall who you threw a grenade at is dead, and that changes the way you turn the corner. The level of uncertainty in this game is what keeps the pace slower, and more tactical. It's why there's no 3d spotting or mini map as well - the only information you can truly rely on is what you see and hear, and that is an essential philosophy for realistic shooters.

Edited by jellyswim

..... i kinda want to see my kills ( maybe after delay of 5 min of so ) 

but i actually love the suprsie when u finish the game and see all the kills and u feel like a pro

Respectfully, no thanks... There are so many games with these "false" sense of achievement badges that have no significant in-game value. I enjoy the tension created by having to confirm your kill. Look for the body drop and weapon fall, and move up to site and confirm if unsure (be careful). This is part of the atmosphere that makes Squad uniquely different from the other FPS games on the market (at least the AAA ones). Personally, I enjoy the surprise when you see your K/D at the end of round. Sometimes it's higher or lower than you perceived. 

Additionally, the false "achievement badges" give people the mindset that it translates to skill, which it doesn't. The core game-play mechanics should keep you interested and returning to the game. Otherwise why are you playing, for the false badges? I play for the game because of the skill challenge, atmosphere, teamwork and unique community experience. There are plenty of other games on the market which do what you're looking for well, for those that enjoy that. In 2018 there's a game for everyone. 

12 hours ago, jellyswim said:

I don't think any kind of kill scoring system would emphasize this game's objective correctly...

Agreed, 100%.

10 hours ago, virusman said:

..... i kinda want to see my kills ( maybe after delay of 5 min of so ) 

but i actually love the suprsie when u finish the game and see all the kills and u feel like a pro

10 hours ago, PROTOCOL said:

Respectfully, no thanks... There are so many games with these "false" sense of achievement badges...

Agreed!

I won't oppose awards / badges per faction like bf2 did but only if they take ages to get so you kinda have to grind for them. If they don't impose any disadvantage to core gameplay and are achievements that can be displayed on player profile when persistent stat tracking arrive (as promised) then why not? 

I just don't want them to be meaningless and especially popping on the screen every 5 seconds like in Battlefield :S 

10 hours ago, CoolBreeze3 said:

My suggestions would be:

• Let us see when we get KILLS, in game, either by being able to see them when we press tab, or giving us a little sign, of some sort.

I think you'd be better off at the place down the road...

gZ0I04n.jpg

I think they should take away the KD... stop people focusing on the kills and focus on the gameplay

8 hours ago, CptDirty said:

I won't oppose awards / badges per faction like bf2 did but only if they take ages to get so you kinda have to grind for them. If they don't impose any disadvantage to core gameplay and are achievements that can be displayed on player profile when persistent stat tracking arrive (as promised) then why not? 

I just don't want them to be meaningless and especially popping on the screen every 5 seconds like in Battlefield :S 

I must be getting old... but wtf is the point of a meaningless badge?  do people really get so hung upon hey look at me ive got 5000 kills no revives and taken down 12 habs... do they really need that piece of self satisfaction to play a game?   millennial instant gratification or I'm not playing so there...

12 hours ago, CoolBreeze3 said:

My suggestions would be:

• To add some sort of in-game achievements, like badges and medals that we earn by achieving the corresponding kills/kills with a certain weapon, headshots, etc, etc.. 
  • To add an in-game report system, or an interface where we can click on other members user names from the TAB menu, which would allow us to access their Steam profile, as well. (Mainly I would just like a way to report problem players, easily and directly to Squad staff.)

just record your games and play back your kills... keep a note of your kills on a spread sheet ... report on the forums problem players.. theres a thread for it... all done... now onto important stuff... why cant we have knives yet?

1 hour ago, embecmom said:

millennial instant gratification or I'm not playing so there...

sad but true

14 hours ago, embecmom said:

I must be getting old... but wtf is the point of a meaningless badge?  do people really get so hung upon hey look at me ive got 5000 kills no revives and taken down 12 habs... do they really need that piece of self satisfaction to play a game?   millennial instant gratification or I'm not playing so there...

Well, I don't see a point getting heat up about in-game achievements. Keep in mind I said I won't oppose the idea, not that I fully support it. Any implementation can be done correctly and appeal the vast majority or be a total flop. If there was a time to test this it would be now while it's (still...) in Alpha before full release... Will players really be dissuaded from playing Squad just because of badges/medals awarded to signify milestone achievements? If so then those who strongly oppose this idea and decide to quit are no better than those self-centered instant gratification millenials you're speaking of. To that I'd say let the baby boomers play consoles because keyboard and mouse may be too difficult for hand coordination ;) 

b0b9806010fd140c24d81de87d4d92ca_origina

16 hours ago, Tennessee said:

Good luck OP!

xD

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, CptDirty said:

Well, I don't see a point getting heat up about in-game achievements. Keep in mind I said I won't oppose the idea, not that I fully support it. Any implementation can be done correctly and appeal the vast majority or be a total flop. If there was a time to test this it would be now while it's (still...) in Alpha before full release... Will players really be dissuaded from playing Squad just because of badges/medals awarded to signify milestone achievements? If so then those who strongly oppose this idea and decide to quit are no better than those self-centered instant gratification millenials you're speaking of. To that I'd say let the baby boomers play consoles because keyboard and mouse may be too difficult for hand coordination ;) 

b0b9806010fd140c24d81de87d4d92ca_origina

not getting het up about it.. I just think its a slippery road to ..'heres a badge for kills.. get to 100 and win customized M4A1 in green'... and at that point we will be in ARMA territory where they will develop go karts ..just because it was asked for...... know what you are is all I'm saying... I used to play battlefield a lot and it was a great game but listening to the kiddies shouting 'hey ive 1 billion kills and you don't know squat ....' in not so polite terms ... its bad enough now... with the 'Ive got 300,000 hours in squad and I'm the squad leader so do as I say or my mom will kick you ...'  and that's just from the adults...  yes a hint of hyperbole.

Edited by embecmom

22 hours ago, LuxCapere said:

I think you'd be better off at the place down the road...

gZ0I04n.jpg

You killed me with this one xD

3 hours ago, embecmom said:

its bad enough now... with the 'Ive got 300,000 hours in squad and I'm the squad leader so do as I say or my mom will kick you ...'  and that's just from the adults...

Yeah, I can attest to that one...

3 hours ago, embecmom said:

I just think its a slippery road to ..'heres a badge for kills.. get to 100 and win customized M4A1 in green'... and at that point we will be in ARMA territory where they will develop go karts

That's just over exaggerating really. You can descend from a hilltop without falling if you take it one step at a time. All I'm saying is that this subject is worth looking into by the devs. Just like a lot of things on these forums, members talk talk talk and suggest stuff but only 10% ever does get answered :S

I'm cool with either a YES or a NO or even a paragraph from someone relevant that kinda says: "Hey, we're considering everything and we haven't made a decision yet".....

^ But that rarely ever happens....

On 3/14/2018 at 3:31 AM, jellyswim said:

I don't think any kind of kill scoring system would emphasize this game's objective correctly. Games like rs2 and insurgency have kill tracking and a persistent k/d and it makes players play differently.

That's partially correct. RO2 showed your kills but not your deaths ingame. You had to look at your stats in the main menu to see that.

That was done so you would charge objectives and not care if you died trying to take them.

If we did get a sort of kill count shown mid-match I'd prefer it to be like PR where it's delayed by a couple minutes so you couldn't press tab to check to see if you just got that guy a couple hundred meters away. I'm trying to remember what game that was where I'd do just that to check.

On 3/14/2018 at 3:12 AM, CoolBreeze3 said:

My suggestions would be:

200.gif

On 17/03/2018 at 10:20 AM, Rybec said:

If we did get a sort of kill count shown mid-match I'd prefer it to be like PR where it's delayed ...

there is a "delayed" setting tick-box for kills (and couple other things as well) but i don't know how it works in relation to the Game or UE4.

On 3/14/2018 at 11:31 AM, jellyswim said:

Also to your last point about being able to see kills as you get them: there's a specific reason that there is no kill feed. It's a part of the realism aspect, and being able to tell when enemies are dead is a game changing mechanic. For example, if you know there's an enemy squad attacking and everyone calls out their kills, you'd know exactly when the enemies are cleared out. You'd know if that guy on the other side of a wall who you threw a grenade at is dead, and that changes the way you turn the corner. The level of uncertainty in this game is what keeps the pace slower, and more tactical. It's why there's no 3d spotting or mini map as well - the only information you can truly rely on is what you see and hear, and that is an essential philosophy for realistic shooters.

^ +1

Part of fun is to confirm your kills in game. Also, i hope they shorten the radius of name popups. That way not only you need to confirm your target is gone for good but also did you shoot at bad guys in first place :) 

Very often it saved me only that I stopped moving. The enemy thought that he killed me.

Please give us an possibility play fake dead. Something like a fake pose with spreaded hands and legs on the ground. :D

46 minutes ago, embecmom said:

yea but your still heading to the bottom

Maybe the lower ground will give you a better advantage than silhouetting on the hill ;) 

@embecmom

@Roble

With all due respect to the both of you and your discussion, this thread is not about the topic you are discussing, but about a feature request. Please keep the off-topic and side-conversations down.

If you wish, I can merge your now hidden posts to a new thread that you can then continue to discuss this at.

Feel free to PN me in case you have any request or comment.

6 minutes ago, invisible.nin/SINE said:

@embecmom

@Roble

If you wish, I can merge your now hidden posts to a new thread that you can then continue to discuss this at.

Apologies, didn't mean to derail the thread. 

Feel free to merge, my response was a good one, would be interested to see embecmoms reply as we do actually agree (even though I am a millennial! :P)