maze2

Will there be a damage system for SPECIFIC PARTS IN VEHICLES?

Posted (edited)

It would be pretty nice if vehicles had a more deep system than just a health bar . I mean something like a realistic way of disabling a machine gun  or cannon or tracking a vehicle with an AT . You guys know what i mean .Idk if it's been discussed but this in my opinion should be a must considering the engine's capabilities in the future. Maybe in 1.0?

Edited by maze2

It's been discussed and is coming, no details yet. 

9 hours ago, maze2 said:

It would be pretty nice if vehicles had a more deep system than just a health bar . I mean something like a realistic way of disabling a machine gun  or cannon or tracking a vehicle with an AT . You guys know what i mean .Idk if it's been discussed but this in my opinion should be a must considering the engine's capabilities in the future. Maybe in 1.0?

Well project reailty has a really nice locational damage system for vehicles , having something even as simple as that would be more than welcome B| .

LugNut pretty much summed it up. We know something is coming, at the very least hit location (like nailing rear armor will work better than hitting the front) seems likely as they have discussed some of the possible ways of implementing it. Health bars are for sure not the end system. 

In terms of immobilization, knocking out guns, engines, etc. we don't know yet. Certainly would love to see it pretty in depth, also would like to see a system where vehicles can essentially be "knocked out," aka not every wreck is the same burning carcass. 

Posted (edited)

1. Rear hits would realistically do LESS damage to APCs because the back is just a big empty box for carrying infantry. All the important stuff is in the front, and RPG jet would lose power before making it that far.

2. Can't wait until all the vehicles the team has are abandoned on map with blown off wheels / disabled turrets.
Altho it would be cool if towing functionality is added (will only help if the playerbase improves greatly too).

Edited by Gopblin

3 hours ago, Gopblin said:

2. Can't wait until all the vehicles the team has are abandoned on map with blown off wheels / disabled turrets.
Altho it would be cool if towing functionality is added (will only help if the playerbase improves greatly too).

We could get a temporary repair station drop from a logistics truck like in PR. That way you have a way of rescuing a vehicle by putting a logistics truck in (potential) danger.

Maybe we could get some sort of system where you can repair tracks or wheels only from outside the vehicle so you need some sort of protection by friendlies while doing it.

7 hours ago, Nimbus said:

Or engineers.

Eh, it should probably be more substantial than engineers. 

On 3/13/2018 at 4:43 PM, Gopblin said:

1. Rear hits would realistically do LESS damage to APCs because the back is just a big empty box for carrying infantry. All the important stuff is in the front, and RPG jet would lose power before making it that far.

everyone inside is dead if a heat round penetrates, there is no separation between crew or passengers, it is "a big box".

pressure waves inside boxes aren't pretty.

On 3/13/2018 at 10:43 PM, Gopblin said:

Omfg the stuff you will read on here.

I am sorry buddy but the back of every vehicle is the least protected and its never sloped friend and the top side.So a RPG hit in the back would do huge damage to crew and people thats transporting.And look at some pics especially on the BTR and NTLB as thy have doors in the back.

When it comes to tanks its similar story too thy just have the engine in the back which if hit usually dies instatly,possibility of setting on fire too.But nowdays most tanks and APC has active armor protection and so on.Russian tanks have an autoloader system which has its ammo in the bottom of the tank which prevents ammo rack type of hits.Some tanks have ammo in the turret as Abrams have if i recall correctly.

If disabling vehicles gets in game be prepared for a huge amout of them geting disabled with one hit.And do not cry then when it gets implemented.

Dr4v 7 hours ago:

Correct, we are working on improving the vehicle armour and damage system right now, and should have at least a preview of our current status shortly.

One thing id like to point out however is, currently the btrs and strykers take more hits than their real counterparts. This is purely for ingame balancing, as currently they are the most powerful units in the game. As we introduce the next tier of heavier vehicles, we will take a look again at how damage is dealt to them.

8 hours ago, Randall172 said:

everyone inside is dead if a heat round penetrates, there is no separation between crew or passengers, it is "a big box".

pressure waves inside boxes aren't pretty.

Lolnope. Anyone in the path of the jet is likely wounded or dead, true. Overpressure isn't a big deal inside APCs because of how big the internal volume is. If doesn't even mess up tank crews most of the time (there are tons of cases where a tank kept rolling after multiple penetrating RPG hits), and the internal volume of a tank is far far less than that of an APC.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Bahrein said:

Omfg the stuff you will read on here.

I am sorry buddy but the back of every vehicle is the least protected and its never sloped friend and the top side.So a RPG hit in the back would do huge damage to crew and people thats transporting.And look at some pics especially on the BTR and NTLB as thy have doors in the back.

When it comes to tanks its similar story too thy just have the engine in the back which if hit usually dies instatly,possibility of setting on fire too.But nowdays most tanks and APC has active armor protection and so on.Russian tanks have an autoloader system which has its ammo in the bottom of the tank which prevents ammo rack type of hits.Some tanks have ammo in the turret as Abrams have if i recall correctly.

If disabling vehicles gets in game be prepared for a huge amout of them geting disabled with one hit.And do not cry then when it gets implemented.

The whole "back is least protected" thing is important for TANKS. Some APCs can't even hold AP rifle-caliber ammo, it doesn't matter which side you hit them from, or if you hit a door - it's going in just the same.

Also overpressure isn't a big deal in APCs as explained above, so the #1 question for disabling an APC is if the actual jet hits driver, gunner, engine, drivetrain, gun, etc. All of that is in the front. The chances that a back hit reaches them are lower.

Also, behold the destructive power of the RPG, that shreds everyone inside an APC... oh wait it doesn't even destroy toyota windshield 1 ft from impact:

Here is what an RPG hit looks like to a crewman (as long as jet doesn't hit him directly):

At 0:53. To be fair it would be worse if he was buttoned up, but it wouldn't knock him out either way

Edited by Gopblin

3 hours ago, Gopblin said:

Also, behold the destructive power of the RPG, that shreds everyone inside an APC... oh wait it doesn't even destroy toyota windshield 1 ft from impact:

not having a go, because i have zero experience, but i have to ask:

i thought that was explained in the vid., that such light "Armour" (car bodywork) was insufficient to set off the charge correctly or fast enough?

a glancing blow across the windscreen is probably not going to set off anything, is it?

the terms used were "huge damage" and "wounded or dead", not "shreds".

i also thought that this sort of weapon was supposed to fill the 'cabin' with showers of molten metal? - or is that something else i'm thinking of?

what is interesting is how inaccurate these seem to be, even in the hands of the semi-skilled - and the couple of 'dud' shots.

the only other live firing i have seen of this sort of "RPG" weapon was on that Mythbusters episode where they tested against a caravan and to me that looked totally devastating to anyone in the way.

If my memory serves me correct, in that Mythbusters episode you could see the rocket completely enter the caravan, the cutout by the tail fins visible, it then exploded. The explosive power of a HEAT round isn't it's main attribute, but caravans aren't renowned for their structural integrity either.

11 hours ago, Gopblin said:

The whole "back is least protected" thing is important for TANKS. Some APCs can't even hold AP rifle-caliber ammo, it doesn't matter which side you hit them from, or if you hit a door - it's going in just the same.

Also overpressure isn't a big deal in APCs as explained above, so the #1 question for disabling an APC is if the actual jet hits driver, gunner, engine, drivetrain, gun, etc. All of that is in the front. The chances that a back hit reaches them are lower.

Here is what an RPG hit looks like to a crewman (as long as jet doesn't hit him directly):

At 0:53. To be fair it would be worse if he was buttoned up, but it wouldn't knock him out either way

Dont be a noob buddy.

Toyota is a car its not an apc and there for for the power rocket has it would not even feel the paper thin bodywork of the car and would not even activate like on the video you posted.

If you want to shoot a car with an RPG shoot it in the front right in the engine bay and then see what happens.

This is no toyota but if you know where to shoot and how not like thous two noobs you get this.

9 hours ago, LaughingJack said:

not having a go, because i have zero experience, but i have to ask:

i thought that was explained in the vid., that such light "Armour" (car bodywork) was insufficient to set off the charge correctly or fast enough?

a glancing blow across the windscreen is probably not going to set off anything, is it?

the terms used were "huge damage" and "wounded or dead", not "shreds".

i also thought that this sort of weapon was supposed to fill the 'cabin' with showers of molten metal? - or is that something else i'm thinking of?

what is interesting is how inaccurate these seem to be, even in the hands of the semi-skilled - and the couple of 'dud' shots.

the only other live firing i have seen of this sort of "RPG" weapon was on that Mythbusters episode where they tested against a caravan and to me that looked totally devastating to anyone in the way.

And yes actually it pushes in a jet of molten copper inside the vehicle and because of the momentum is lost by punching thru the armor it never gets clean thru the vehicle if its armored one but it ricochets inside multiple times even and then when it can set fuel lines on fire,ammo crates,ammo shells,powder casings and so on you get the picture.Anyhow if it gets in it will do something it just depends how lucky you are inside that's basically it.

Modern tanks and APC-s as i wrote before have versatile protection for "simple" RPG-7 warhead but dont forget there is an answer for that too its a Tandem rocket as it has dual-charge warhead the first charge goes for the reactive type of armor and the second one dose the same as the simple above mentioned one goes in the vehicle.

Tandem warhead in action in Syria shoot from RPG 29.And as you can see here no one is getting out is it.The guy running was doing something behind the tank before the rocket hits.

Did the hit set of the loaded round in the tank, did the tank just fire coincidentally or is that simply air rushing out from the open barrel as its forced by the shockwave? If it's the first that would be a pretty cool mechanic.

6 minutes ago, Peerun said:

Did the hit set of the loaded round in the tank, did the tank just fire coincidentally or is that simply air rushing out from the open barrel as its forced by the shockwave? If it's the first that would be a pretty cool mechanic.

I dont have a clue buddy.Maybe the fuel got on fire maybe the powder casings got on fire who knows.I do think when it got hit it actually fired a round since almost always in combat the gun is loaded and ready to fire.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Peerun said:

Tanks are very cramped inside, because the smaller the tank, the less area you need to armor, and the thicker the armor can be. Especially Russian designs, which went for a low silhouette and a 3-man crew. This means that an RPG jet has a decent chance of hitting something flammable, especially if the user is competent and knows where the ammo rack is.

Also, modern tanks fire very large 120-125mm rounds, which means that the warhead and the propellant charge have to be loaded separately (otherwise they would be too heavy and long to efficiently operate/turn around). The warhead is actually not that easy to set off, and the AP rounds don't explode at all. OTOH, the propellant charge is basically just a bag of gunpowder that burns like... a bag of gunpowder (gunpowder doesn't explode unless crammed inside a casing, but it does burn). What you're seeing is the RPG jet hitting some propellant charges and the tank going up in flames, a fairly common occurrence.

Note that none of this could ever happen to an APC or any of the vehicles we have ingame.
EDIT: well a fuel tank hit is possible I suppose, but it wouldn't be nearly as violent.

Edited by Gopblin

11 hours ago, Bahrein said:

Dont be a noob buddy.

Toyota is a car its not an apc and there for for the power rocket has it would not even feel the paper thin bodywork of the car and would not even activate like on the video you posted.

If you want to shoot a car with an RPG shoot it in the front right in the engine bay and then see what happens.

This is no toyota but if you know where to shoot and how not like thous two noobs you get this.

Just read the YT comments. It's an HE-Frag tank shell, not an RPG. RPGs can start fires but nothing like this.
Also they will arm perfectly well with thin metal, they go off when dropped with safety cap off for chrissakes.

14 hours ago, Gopblin said:

Just read the YT comments. It's an HE-Frag tank shell, not an RPG. RPGs can start fires but nothing like this.
Also they will arm perfectly well with thin metal, they go off when dropped with safety cap off for chrissakes.

The whole point with that clip was to know where to hit a thin car that was all he got shot right in the ZU-23-2 gun mount.

No they will do no such thing.And the stories you will read online about people falling down on the road and RPG rocket hitting the asphalt or the curb or the concrete and rocket exploding "IS NOT POSSIBLE" The warhead is not active or able to detonate until its fired from the launcher and after activating the boosters and that happens in approximately 10 meters so even in that 10 meters the ROCKET IS NOT ARMED or able to explode.

I would love if you would do some research on RPG-7 like you did about the video above.

13 hours ago, LaughingJack said:

cheers @Nimbus & @Bahrein for the replies.

You are welcome my friend.I dont know many things but the things i know i will always share.