virusman

Ego play - what you do ?

lets say you squad leading a squad with some pub people . 

and you do some objects that you decided to do ( go to flag X or build FOB at Y or doing some other stuff ) .

and the next :
A) some random squad leader telling you that you useless and you need to DO something that he think will be more useful .

B) squad leader that is admin telling  that you not doing good and you MUST  to do something different  that he suggests .

what u usually do ? obey ? explain ur plan ? cry ? ignore ?

It's rarity if you are on a flag to get complaints, if it's a defence or attack.  But communication is the key. Nevertheless you will find some people are never happy.  

If the sever is toxic to your play style find somewhere else, generally though admin have enough experience to guide you.

If you're not helping your team on the objectives either directly by fighting on them or indirectly by providing fire support, logistics or taking out (relevant) enemy FOBs, I'd say people are well within their rights to call you out and request that you help them. Sitting on an uncappable objective for extended periods of time and refusing to move because "you're in contact" is probably the most common infraction, and it does not count as helping the team. Generally if you find your squad in a situation where the only benefit you provide your team are kills, it's time to rethink your approach. 

To answer the OP - it's good to frequently reevaluate what your squad is doing. If you're actually performing a beneficial task for your team (again, only getting kills doesn't count, there always needs to be an additional goal besides that), you should have no problem explaining this to the other squad leaders. If not, there's no shame in overcoming one's pride and changing strategy.

When it comes to admins, there is of course the added pressure when arguing with people who can remove you from the server, but what I said still stands - if what you're doing is objectively beneficial for the team then you should be able to convince them of this fact. As when dealing with anyone else within the game - try keep things polite, don't get overly emotional with people and you'll be fine.

The last resort if things get too heated  would be switching teams or going to a different server. It's not ideal, but it's much better than ruining your evening by constant bickering. 

32 minutes ago, Smee said:

communication is the key

Yep! Know who's attacking, who's defending, etc...

The thing is, the momentum swings a lot in some pub matches and the worst thing any SL can do is not react to it. Some SL's focus on superfobbing a point but remain on it well after it has already been lost and the enemy have already moved to their next point and secured it completely. Rendering the superfob point absolutely useless by ALL means. This is why I think it's very important to understand the map and communicate, like @Smee said, in order to know where the fight IS and where it's HEADED. In either case a SL must do the right thing to put his squad on an active objective....even if it means digging out the FOB to ensure no one else will spawn there anymore. 

Shameless plug:

But I think this is a good example of communication with other SL's and having to adjust for momentum swings...

Spoiler

We ended up winning.

Squad Leader is just a glorified sheep herder. 

So to answer your questions:

A) If you can justify, with reason, what it is you're doing then say it. If there's merit and logic to your actions, no one can refute it. Great minds think alike...

B) Same thing as your first question ; If your actions are helping the team and not just your squad then keep doing what you're doing. However from personal experience, some die hard 5 star generals super role play milsim fanatics might scream and not let you finish a sentence and when that happens it is best to leave the server and find a new one with a fresh start. No point wasting time arguing with a brick wall....

What I started doing especially now in V10 with the new logi system is take 2 other squad mates with me for a total of 3 in a logi truck full of construction points and do the back caps/set up back up FOBS while the rest of my squad mates (6 guys) are sent to help out with the rest of the team somewhere on the mid cap depending on the map and what's going on. This is the definition of proper resource management in my opinion and it allows the team to get a proper head start with guaranteed fallback spawn points. Once the back caps are done, I then shift my entire squad to be on the aggressive front going for the following point and leap frog from there. 

Just to give you an idea:

A logi truck (U.S.&RU) can carry 2000 construction points. HAB cost 400 points = 5x FOBs/HABs can be built without resupplying. This is insane!!!!!

A logi techie (Militia&Insurgents) can carry 1000 construction points. HAB cost 250 points (I think)= 4x FOBs/HABs can be built without resupplying...

Posted (edited)

Never had that issue.

Because A) I'm either on the attack/defend flag, and thus there's no reason for someone to be bitching at my play style. And B) if they are bitching, I can clearly communicate why I'm doing what I'm doing and why it makes sense and is logical based on the situation in game. And when what you're doing actually makes sense (aka not putting a FOB down 300m from the objective while blocking every other FOB placement), people won't be bitching about it.

That said if someone is bitching, just quickly explain why you're doing what you're doing. As long as it's actually something useful that isn't hindering the team, it shouldn't be a big deal.

Edited by Ti0mat

Situation A: I tell him to stop. If he continous and the other SLs don't step in to make the radio pollution and harrasment stop, I'll resort to muting the SL frequency. It's a sad thing, even if not that often, but necessary in order to not escalate things even further.

Situation B: This one time I talked back because the admin was a spoiled child who don't know how tactics actually works. I got banned. Admin guide lines stablished by the devs - even though they say - are not a requirement. So admins can do pretty much whatever they want. I suggest you either play on that server when that particular admin is not online or just leave and never returned because that kinda of behaviour only attracts more people who feed this type of abusive system and narrow-minded tactics, or lack of it. There are a lot of other good servers out there. Trust me. Just don't be part of the problem.

Last night I played a couple of matches as squad leader. 

Al Basrah; 

At the start of the match, me and two other squad leaders are active. I get on the radio, telling them my squad will push Gas Station, so please stay at Mosque and defend, and cap all flags behind us. No answer. 

I repeat my suggestion / intentions. No answer. Alright, **** it then. "Squad, we are pushing Gas Station". 

As the match starts and we move out, half way to Gas Station I notice one of the other squads is also pushing Gas Station, no one is at Mosque, and squad 3 have not even spawned yet. "Alright, one of those" I thought, informed the not so pleased squad about the situation, "let's make the most of it guys".

It ended up with us pushing back to Mosque, and by some miracle things kind of turned out alright for our team. The opposing team was probably as unorganized as us. 

But just as we got our hopes up, we notice squad 2 leaving Fringe, which is one of the two front objectives that we hold. I get on comms to squad 2.  

Me: "Hey, squad 2! Can you head back to Fringe and defend for a while so we do not get back-capped?"

SL 2: "I don't care if we get back-capped. I do not need a lesson in how to squad lead."

Me: "Eeeh... ok... !?"

Less than 10 minutes later we are back-capped all the way to Estates, and shortly after we lose the match. 

To sum things up, OP. You could more or less fart in the comms for an entire match, have your entire squad repeatedly spawn at main and just have them run to their death, just to do it all over again, and you would not be much worse than the regular standard in every other match. 

15 hours ago, Ti0mat said:

Never had that issue.

Because A) I'm either on the attack/defend flag, and thus there's no reason for someone to be bitching at my play style. And B) if they are bitching, I can clearly communicate why I'm doing what I'm doing and why it makes sense and is logical based on the situation in game. And when what you're doing actually makes sense (aka not putting a FOB down 300m from the objective while blocking every other FOB placement), people won't be bitching about it.

That said if someone is bitching, just quickly explain why you're doing what you're doing. As long as it's actually something useful that isn't hindering the team, it shouldn't be a big deal.

I have been chewed out for staying back to defend the objective behind the last captured objective, as a precaution (we were also in an elevated position, picking off stray enemy squads with a BTR), when the captured objective in front of the objective I was defending was highly unstable and not in any way secured. This was in a situation where we held 3 out of 4 objectives.

I explained to the SL giving me shit, that I have seen back-capping and matches lost due to carelessness in far less "dangerous" situations, and that we were already winning the game, but he was determined to give me shit. 

Unless you are doing something really stupid, or just are completely useless to the team, then a friendly reminder of the general plan from other SL's should be enough. No point in being an asshole, unless it is called for. 

Some people in Squad, as in real life, are just assholes. Tell them to suck a big fat ****. 

It's possible to mute individual players through the scoreboard... So I just mute anyone who is being a dickhead 

Rush B syka.

Hahaha just kidding.I am an agreassive type of a player and i love playing like that always on the offensive.

I usually as a SL listen to the mayoralty of SL or do whats logical.If no one is defending the flag my squad will if all other squads are hab flag camping and doing nothing i will use my squad and outflank and atack the enemys flag taking some preassure of our flag and so on.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, PuddleMurda said:

I have been chewed out for staying back to defend the objective behind the last captured objective, as a precaution (we were also in an elevated position, picking off stray enemy squads with a BTR), when the captured objective in front of the objective I was defending was highly unstable and not in any way secured. This was in a situation where we held 3 out of 4 objectives.

I explained to the SL giving me shit, that I have seen back-capping and matches lost due to carelessness in far less "dangerous" situations, and that we were already winning the game, but he was determined to give me shit.

On the flip side, depending on how many people were in your BTR/squad outside the objective, having more bodies on the point would actually do a lot to help stabilize the point and ensure it's not capped. ;) That said, as long as the vehicles in question can be effective and are doing what's needed, I do not really see the point at bitching at them unless they're just being completely retarded. 2 guys manning a vehicle is not even close to the same thing as a whole squad guarding against a "back cap". The latter, I would and have done the same thing (deal with it as an admin). The former? Meh, shouldn't be a big deal.

10 hours ago, Psyrus said:

It's possible to mute individual players through the scoreboard... So I just mute anyone who is being a dickhead 

Probably not the best idea if the player in question is an admin, and he's threatening to boot you from the server. Just saying. That said, it's a great feature that was long overdue.

Edited by Ti0mat

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Ti0mat said:

Probably not the best idea if the player in question is an admin, and he's threatening to boot you from the server. Just saying. That said, it's a great feature that was long overdue.

If a server uses assholes as their admins and I get kicked as a result of that, I'll simply take myself and my crew elsewhere. It's not like PR where only one or two servers are populated ^_^

Edited by Psyrus

In my experience, squad leaders getting grief deserve some grief.

On 11.3.2018 at 4:54 PM, MultiSquid said:

If you're not helping your team on the objectives either directly by fighting on them or indirectly by providing fire support, logistics or taking out (relevant) enemy FOBs, I'd say people are well within their rights to call you out and request that you help them. Sitting on an uncappable objective for extended periods of time and refusing to move because "you're in contact" is probably the most common infraction, and it does not count as helping the team. Generally if you find your squad in a situation where the only benefit you provide your team are kills, it's time to rethink your approach. 

To answer the OP - it's good to frequently reevaluate what your squad is doing. If you're actually performing a beneficial task for your team (again, only getting kills doesn't count, there always needs to be an additional goal besides that), you should have no problem explaining this to the other squad leaders. If not, there's no shame in overcoming one's pride and changing strategy.

When it comes to admins, there is of course the added pressure when arguing with people who can remove you from the server, but what I said still stands - if what you're doing is objectively beneficial for the team then you should be able to convince them of this fact. As when dealing with anyone else within the game - try keep things polite, don't get overly emotional with people and you'll be fine.

The last resort if things get too heated  would be switching teams or going to a different server. It's not ideal, but it's much better than ruining your evening by constant bickering. 

This. If everyone says you are doing something wrong, maybe you just are doing something wrong. It may not be your fault, as you don't know it any better yet so don't take it personal. Lately I have seen a lot of squads fighting over flags that are not cappable, where their SL seemed to have no idea how the basic capture mechanic works. But if you are fighting for objectives or give support they may give you hints how to do it better, but they should not be bashing you.

Depends, a lot of the time they are right and I fully agree. Its sometimes a pain wrangling your guys out of contact or making them follow orders. So I simply explain I am working on it and I will be there ASAP. 

Most of the time, I explain what I am doing and that is that. No one has full situational awareness. For example, we were on Chora and the enemy had a fob near main supplying IEDs, ambushing vehicles, and ready to attack our back flags. It looked really odd having a squad that far from the current objectives, but when I explained what was going on everyone was fine. Probably because every vehicle that left main was blown to bits. 

Sometimes, you get a real jerk who thinks he is king of the world and can't help but clog up comms calling you everything in the book. I will only explain myself once, and then I am done. 

That would be the most important part of this, DO NOT CLOG COMMS or argue constantly. Doesn't matter how much of a jerk they are being, it isn't worth it and all you do is screw over everyone else by going to their level. 

Posted (edited)

all comes down to communication... be ready to answer in squad lead chat why you are doing something, ultimately there is no overseer or commander thank goodness but as others have said if you are actually doing *** all (like sitting on a non objective flag)  ..the problem is there are so many people out there that think that they are the most important being in the name of squad that ever picked up a mouse and unless you do as they say the world must end ... of course they always find someone to blame when it goes wrong and congratulate themselves for leading everyone when it goes right...

ultimately you are never ever going to please everyone... so explain what you are doing and why and if they don't like then tough, as long as you are actually contributing something...   so many people don't pay attention to other squads or listen, or there are a lot of squad members who back seat SL and don't get any info from their own SL...   ive even had a **** create his own squad with only him in it so he could directly abuse me in squad chat because he didn't agree with what I was doing .... I of course told him to kindly concentrate on other things .... 

don't let it get you down...   Squad allows non entities to suddenly think they are Patton...but with the military experience of a spice girl in a uniform.

Edited by embecmom

Posted (edited)

Yeh pretty often when ppl call someone out it's justified. They shouldn't be dicks about it but everyone is sorta pissed currently because of the influx of clueless new players.

OTOH sometimes you get a real idiot that screams at you in command over some trivial BS. Like one round on Sumari I still remember, I had the logi and made an attack FOB + defense FOB in the South, while SL2 was literally screaming at me over command to go make him a third FOB in the north (an actual reasonable request, but I couldn't be everywhere at once and we were getting hammered hard). Eventually he grabbed the logi, proceeded to get it stuck, fled and denied this happening (lol). So I had to go destroy it with my AK and finally create that northern FOB when time allowed. We had a great game overall and lost by a few tix because Americans simply out-fought us. After round he screamed at me again and the entire team told him to shut up and stop being an idiot ). Shit happens, don't let it get to you.

Edited by Gopblin

Posted (edited)

Today something funny happened. And oh boy, was I surprised? lol

I was marking an enemy AR on the rooftop of a key building. He was slaying for ages up there and no one did anything about it. I tried to talk to other SLs to see what gives and why my marker was deleted for the third time. It was almost like someone wanted him to be up there with a free pass. Suddenly some overaggressive female keeps interrupting me just for the sake of it and start giving me shit. Oh, the wonders of overcompensation. As if been rude to others for no reason would make her manlier than the rest of the player base.

Edited by Ceceli

Sure it was a cluster but I was doing my mediocre squad leader best, keep the rallies down etc,  and then some administrator Squad later after a rage filled diatribe kills the server I could not believe it.

On ‎14‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 9:52 AM, Ceceli said:

Today something funny happened. And oh boy, was I surprised? lol

I was marking an enemy AR on the rooftop of a key building. He was slaying for ages up there and no one did anything about it. I tried to talk to other SLs to see what gives and why my marker was deleted for the third time. It was almost like someone wanted him to be up there with a free pass. Suddenly some overaggressive female keeps interrupting me just for the sake of it and start giving me shit. Oh, the wonders of overcompensation. As if been rude to others for no reason would make her manlier than the rest of the player base.

#measwell

Tend to ignore your average squad leader because they don't know what they are doing. All they do is swarm into a 50x50 meter square to capture a point like a blob, exposing their flanks and rear. 

Posted (edited)
On 3/13/2018 at 3:22 PM, Tennessee said:

That would be the most important part of this, DO NOT CLOG COMMS or argue constantly. Doesn't matter how much of a jerk they are being, it isn't worth it and all you do is screw over everyone else by going to their level. 

Agreed. Keep it short and sweet! 

Edited by CptDirty

On 11.3.2018 at 3:24 PM, virusman said:

lets say you squad leading a squad with some pub people . 

and you do some objects that you decided to do ( go to flag X or build FOB at Y or doing some other stuff ) .

and the next :
A) some random squad leader telling you that you useless and you need to DO something that he think will be more useful .

B) squad leader that is admin telling  that you not doing good and you MUST  to do something different  that he suggests .

what u usually do ? obey ? explain ur plan ? cry ? ignore ?

First of all: Did you inform all other SL`s about the "objects" ( you mean objectives?) you are planning to reach in the beginning?

Probably, in your situation, having a squad full of "pubs" you should ask about what you can do with them and communicate how you can bring in your squad as a benefit or support for your team IN THE BEGINNING (Staging-time) OF THE GAME via SL-Channel and not just set your own goals.

I mean playing SL (no matter if you got a random-pub squad or clan/friends-squad) still forces you to act and stear your squad in a cooperative way in respect to the other sqauds or the whole team.

All you state here sounds like I experianced a lots of times as an SL having an eye on the strategic situation. I also get annoyed by other SL's not lining out the team-strategics and own strategics and coordinate the own ideas with others.

Sounds like you just lined out your own ideas for yourself and your own squad and did not communicate and discuss them with the other SL's IN THE BEGINNING (Staging-time) OF THE GAME. Going as an "I do what i want"-mission on this game is not what the idea of this game is.

If that is the case: Yer, cry, be desperate, ignore but reconsider if you understood the team-idea of SQUAD.

[H.9] A.Hofer

2 minutes ago, A.Hofer said:

First of all: Did you inform all other SL`s about the "objects" ( you mean objectives?) you are planning to reach in the beginning?

Probably, in your situation, having a squad full of "pubs" you should ask about what you can do with them and communicate how you can bring in your squad as a benefit or support for your team IN THE BEGINNING (Staging-time) OF THE GAME via SL-Channel and not just set your own goals.

I mean playing SL (no matter if you got a random-pub squad or clan/friends-squad) still forces you to act and stear your squad in a cooperative way in respect to the other sqauds or the whole team.

All you state here sounds like I experianced a lots of times as an SL having an eye on the strategic situation. I also get annoyed by other SL's not lining out the team-strategics and own strategics and coordinate the own ideas with others.

Sounds like you just lined out your own ideas for yourself and your own squad and did not communicate and discuss them with the other SL's IN THE BEGINNING (Staging-time) OF THE GAME. Going as an "I do what i want"-mission on this game is not what the idea of this game is.

If that is the case: Yer, cry, be desperate, ignore but reconsider if you understood the team-idea of SQUAD.

[H.9] A.Hofer

but the problem without commander ..... there no head that decide what plan good or not .

and just to go to atack flag marker like a bot is also boring .

and there a problem that u have 9 people who are SL . and how you decide you are the 1 that will approve ur  plan or not 

Posted (edited)

constantly look at the map and follow what is happening.

As a good SL you are doing a good job if you are able to switch your own plan if the overall situation changes. Be proactive and constructive.

Let go your own little plan if you see that your ppls are needed for some other uses.

If massive complains from diffenrent other SL's AND even the admin come you should critically reflect your SL-acting and see if you are, indeed not acting for the benefit of the team.

Squad really does not need a commander! (mostly one of the exp.-SL's take over that role automatically)

Keep in mind that SQUAD ist not a game only about your own interests. It is a tactical-team-play game. Sometime you got to do boring things like defending or keeping up pressure on a flag because ist leads the whole team to the win (hopefully -lol-). If you are not willing to do so, in my oppinion this is not the right game for you or you should drop the role of SL.

Every map has a couple of practical strategies (overall and individual). All sounds to me, that the "plan" you made did not fit to a common strategy and it did not help the team, leading to a win. Why else should somebody complaine?

[H.9] A.Hofer

Edited by A.Hofer