Sign in to follow this  
Ep1cOblivion

MBT/Tank interiors

With Arma 3 introducing tank interiors, will we see interiors in Squad, as im pretty sure Post Scriptum said they were going to? This would really set apart these two titles as not many other games have attempted this feat.

Hello there friend ! As much as i would like to see tank interiors aswell , as far as i know the devs said the it won't be a feature in the game unfortunately , but look at the bright side ... For modders who would like to create tank models for different factions , their job would be much easier since they won't have to work on interiors .

I suspect it's something we'll see where we can, depending on performance requirements, etc. It's definitely something we /like/ to do, but we learn more and more what's possible by doing it, seeing if it works, and trying to optimize it so that it does. ;)

That said, our artists are definitely capable and interested in doing interiors, especially our tank simulation fans. There's a fair bit of Steel Beasts going on these days, along with one or two devs that keeps turning up with actual, factual operating manuals for vehicles in game. (And historic ones more from the Post Scriptum timeline.)

The words "tank interiors" immediately remind me of the RO2 fiasco, where the devs decided to go for pointless eye candy instead of actual gameplay assets, and ended up with two poorly balanced and implemented tanks instead of the great variety of vehicles that the original RO had.
I'd much rather have more vehicles or other assets than modeled interiors, those have zero effect on gameplay and are ignored by all playes after the 30 sec "ok cool" stage.

2 hours ago, Gopblin said:

The words "tank interiors" immediately remind me of the RO2 fiasco, where the devs decided to go for pointless eye candy instead of actual gameplay assets, and ended up with two poorly balanced and implemented tanks instead of the great variety of vehicles that the original RO had.
I'd much rather have more vehicles or other assets than modeled interiors, those have zero effect on gameplay and are ignored by all playes after the 30 sec "ok cool" stage.

Fully agree , tank interiors should be a very last priority in my opinion .

There has been a lot of discussion in the past about tank interiors that seems to be flaring up again with the Arma 3 DLC.

From both RO2 and the Arma 3 DLC it's clearer than ever that this level of detail takes a huge amount of development time. In a game like Steel Beasts this level of detail makes a lot more sense but since Squad is a combined arms game I don't think it's worth the time.

RO2 came out in 2011 with two usable vehicles and now, seven years later, the game has six. Arma 3 has been out since 2013 with a larger compliment of vehicles and it's taken five years for them to get around to implementing interiors. Now these games aren't Squad and were developed in different circumstances but it's a good idea to keep their development track in mind.

I myself am not a vehicle artist so someone with more experience in the area will have a better perspective but in my opinion the hours spent modelling texturing and even animating interiors would be better spent on exteriors of new vehicles.