Quinch

Map Loading Times?

Posted (edited)

The game runs just fine on my PC currently, the only issue I have is map loading times. I'm not familiar with how Squad software is set up/installed so asking the question on how to remedy this issue best.

Which is more likely to speed up loading times?

1) Squad (the game) installed on an SSD?

OR

2) Installing 16/32Gb of RAM?

Obviously, at the moment, another SSD is a far cheaper option than even buying 8Gb of RAM! but I want to solve the issue the best way and not just take one option to find out I've not solve the problem. lol

From my experience if the maps are loaded from locally stored data (HDD) then moving the game to an SSD will greatly help but if they're stored server side and loaded into cache I'll need RAM.

Let me know, thanks.

Current basic system specs: Intel Core i5-6400, 120Gb SSD, 1 TB WD HDD, 8Gb 2400Mhz RAM, Nivia GTX 1060 3Gb. (I currently keep the SSD for system OS and drivers etc)

Edited by Quinch

16Gb & SSD is the sweet spot. Going 32Gb isn't gonna give any more drop in load times. SSD is always gonna beat a HDD but if you computer is juggling Ram some of the benefits will be lost.

8 hours ago, Major Trouble said:

16Gb & SSD is the sweet spot. Going 32Gb isn't gonna give any more drop in load times. SSD is always gonna beat a HDD but if you computer is juggling Ram some of the benefits will be lost.

So where are map apk's stored? Are they still locally stored on your PC HDD or SSD? 

Issue I have is I get into a game ok but wait a considerable time for the map to preload before I can start selecting spawn etc. Once it's done this I'm golden...I'm running at 50-60fps, no noticeable lag etc. Lasts all match...then map change comes for the next match and it starts all over. 

I'm just trying to work out how to minimise that delay. 

Apk files are stored on your drive where your game is installed and loaded into ram as the map loads. We all get the pause just prior to team selection / spawn. For me with 16Gb ram / ssd / 11Gb gpu it's just a few seconds.

4 hours ago, Jackal6681 said:

You need to look at the type of SSD...for example NVMe is super fast for loading

I have a NVMe primary drive but I will honestly say the performance difference between it and my standard SATA SSD would be minimal. Maybe a few seconds load time at most. If it's a toss up of speed (NVMe) vs space (SSD) for a similar price then you shouldn't feel short changed performance wise going for a SSD.

There is an increase from previous versions, would be nice maybe an indicator of what's loading,  map, textures, OS. Etc.