Sign in to follow this  
PuddleMurda

Squad lead, and squad comms

What up forum!? 

I have been playing Squad more and more recently. Still fairly new, and definitely new to the forum, so excuse me if this has been brought up a million times before. 

When I play, I usually do so as squad leader. It's good fun, even though it is stressful as hell. Something I think all squad leaders can relate to is the deafening chattering over comms, between squad leaders and the squad, all at the same time. I do understand that it is my responsibility as SL to instruct the squad to keep communication via radio to an absolute minimum, as direct communication works fine over a good distance. However, when shit hits the fan, and squad leaders try to communicate, it is often near impossible to hear what anyone is saying. 

My suggestion (oh, maybe I should have put this in suggestions) is this:

Give us the option to pan the separate radios right and left, so that if you want to you can have all SL comms in your right ear, and squad comms in your left ear. It is not a perfect solution, but if I hear SLs communicating I can just lift the headset off my left ear and will not be bothered by my frantic shell-shocked squad members.

Also, I believe that comm operators would have some form of active ear protection, so when trying to communicate over radio, there would be an option to "muffle" DC, gunfire, and vehicle noises, e.g similar to earplugs in Arma 3. 

Thoughts? 

Please. Sometimes i'm trying to listen to orders over squad chat and I hear the noobs spamming in local chat. I would turn it down but I use local chat so much that it just isn't an option. We need some way to prioritize certain channels, or have some kind of key that lets you "focus" your hearing on a certain channel temporarily. The one time I played SL it was impossible to talk to the other SLs because constant chatter all around me.

Posted (edited)

As someone who could manage four different channels on ArmA simultaneously (two in one ear, two in the other) and still chat in local, I think we could immensely benefit from setting channels to respective ears in the controls. As it stands now, putting squad and platoon net (or inter-squad comms) on full blast in both my ears together really muddles crucial information. I am very, very good at selective hearing, a skill I have developed over many years of this kind of thing, but I can only employ it so well with how our radios operate currently. Putting Squad in my left, and Platoon in my right would make comms much more manageable.

I am glad we are having a discussion on communication like this; mastering comms is a very valuable skill for a leader, especially in higher positions where you are coordinating more elements simultaneously. It has more use in ArmA, but here in Squad it is still quite important.

Edited by TinyTimm

before we fix this . 
we need to fix the issue that most SL press G and speak like its an open forum .

i think we need to disable the ALL SQUAD LEADER chat .

pleas speak directly to the squad you want . 

98% of sh!t i hear on the squad leader chat is not relevant to me , its just someone too lazy .

and please in the name of memes dont speak france / polish / kurdish / german in all chat .... even if the server is local ....

People spamming the sl channel is a huge problem. 

A mute button may help. 

3 hours ago, virusman said:

before we fix this . 
we need to fix the issue that most SL press G and speak like its an open forum .

i think we need to disable the ALL SQUAD LEADER chat .

pleas speak directly to the squad you want . 

98% of sh!t i hear on the squad leader chat is not relevant to me , its just someone too lazy .

and please in the name of memes dont speak france / polish / kurdish / german in all chat .... even if the server is local ....

Oh please, don't even think it. It's bad enough getting SL's communicating in the first place.  How many times have been lose because some arse doesn't want to co ordinate with the rest of the team. You need to hear whats going on with the team so you can be part of the team. Too many SL's want to do too many other things at the same time.  Squad comms should be the most important comms going on at any time. 

Or no lets just get rid of all mic comms and then you have to repeat it 5 or 6 times over channels . Thats really going to speed up and make life easier..

Oh and you can mute people in the scoreboard, dunno if that effects the SL channel.  

OP, wouldn't be an issue could see it as a good thing. separate output, find having the bleep helps to know who;s talking

4 hours ago, virusman said:

Or some of us don't have full numpads on our keyboards.  I'm looking for a solution, but finding 6 or so extra keys is tough.  

Great suggestions, also it would be great to have the option to mute all local and squad comms during the initial setup before the game starts. It's difficult to formulate a plan with all the cat calls and people joining the squad asking what are we doing? Just like any military organization, plans are filtered down from company to platoon to squad for a reason.

I think we would have so much more organized and fun gameplay if at the start of the match all squads leaders fully understood the game plan.

Posted (edited)

And my favorite one:

Resolved. Confirmation from Dev team what is in the works. Excellent progress. 

Edited by CptDirty

We absolutely need this.

Sometimes it isn't too bad, but other times I want to just give up and turn the game off because it gives me a damn headache.