Posted (edited)

I've posted about this a couple of times, this first being back in December 2015 but it is STILL an issue over 2 years later. Here are the original threads (note the original videos have gone now but the info is still relevant):

December 22nd 2015 - http://forums.joinsquad.com/topic/9110-jittery-aim-video/?tab=comments#comment-140284

January 15th 2016 - http://forums.joinsquad.com/topic/11334-low-fps-high-pings-jittery-aim/?tab=comments#comment-167878

To be clear I'm not talking about weapon sway as obviously this is intentional, I'm talking about the crosshair's constant micro jittering and stuttering. Worth noting also that since I first encountered this issue back in 2015 I have changed EVERY piece of my PC's hardware including ALL peripherals, so this is 100% not an issue at my end at all.

In the past when this was mentioned the general consensus was "it's a known bug on certain maps with certain scopes and the issue gets worse the closer to the center of the map you are" (I actually always had this issue no matter where I was on the maps) or "it's a UE4 thing that devs have no control over and it'll be fixed in the next UE4 update" or "it will all be sorted when v10 with new animations is avaialble". Well we're now on v10.1 and the issue is clearly still there, this was never an "animations issue" as I suspected all along. I seem to get this issue most when using an ACOG at Chora but it does happen on some other maps also. At close range it is not to much of an issue but at medium to long range the reticle jitters around so much that it is near impossible to hit targets. It feels like I'm using coarse sandpaper as a mouse mat as all my movements are exaggerated and jittery. I actually have a very smooth SteelSeries QcK mat and a pretty decent mouse (Roccat Tyon).

Also worth noting that my FPS is usually very good on most maps (80-130 at Ultrawide 21:9 3440x1440 all Ultra settings + SMAA), (more like 50-70 on some of the lesser well optimized maps like Al-Basrah) and that SQUAD is the only game I get this in, in all other games I get super smooth mouse movement, even other UE4 games.

Here are two videos very quickly and crudely shot with my phone, but it gives you an idea of what I'm talking about, the key here is that both videos show the exact same scope and that I'm using the exact same settings and hardware in both videos, the only difference is the in game map. Random weapon sway is perfectly acceptable but a reticle that keeps jumping about is pretty much unusable at medium to long range, and near impossible to get a headshot on even a stationary target.

Smooth aim, as it should be, U.S. ACOG at Chora Valley:

WATCH IN FULL SCREEN

Jittery aim, not right, U.S. ACOG at Logar Valley:

WATCH IN FULL SCREEN

There is a massive difference between the two, and this jitter really reduces the ability to accurately aim on medium to long range targets with certain scopes. Again it happens more on some scopes and some maps. There is zero issue my end as I only get this issue with certain scopes and maps in Squad.

So, is this actually ever going to be fixed as it's REALLY annoying?

Edited by RipGroove

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, virusman said:

never noticed .... maybe its simulation of hand shake

On just the ACOG on certain maps and not iron sights or marksman weapons? I've got 560 hours on SQUAD and I'm 100% confident that this is not an intended feature of pretty much just the ACOG.

Edited by RipGroove

i've noticed it in the SDK sometimes, as well as some gameplay vids i've seen. (unrelated to topic: i've also noticed the horrible blurring on things that move, like your gun, an emplaced gun, vehicles)

i initially thought it was a problem with dimensional resolution (yeah, i made that up) of the game/engine, related to the scale the game is working at, rather than mouse resolutions as some have suggested. - i dunno though, there seems to be numerous things in UE4 that are a bit NQR.

it does look terrible and makes the game look a bit dodgy, and hard to aim at stuff.

14 hours ago, LaughingJack said:

i've noticed it in the SDK sometimes, as well as some gameplay vids i've seen. (unrelated to topic: i've also noticed the horrible blurring on things that move, like your gun, an emplaced gun, vehicles)

i initially thought it was a problem with dimensional resolution (yeah, i made that up) of the game/engine, related to the scale the game is working at, rather than mouse resolutions as some have suggested. - i dunno though, there seems to be numerous things in UE4 that are a bit NQR.

it does look terrible and makes the game look a bit dodgy, and hard to aim at stuff.

I haven't noticed any blurring so far but this aim judder is SO annoying, I just can't understand why it hasn't been fixed yet?! 

I got it as well, now i think about its been there since v5?. The buildin unsteady aim till you hold shift down.

5 hours ago, Voice said:

... The buildin unsteady aim till you hold shift down.

the stepping (judder) is the issue though, i think, not the movement itself.

Might not understand what you mean, but he zooms like 500% so i think thats why its looks like its moving that much. If its something 3rd just disregard what i said.

Posted (edited)
On 3/10/2018 at 12:34 AM, LaughingJack said:

the stepping (judder) is the issue though, i think, not the movement itself.

Yes this. The weapon away is normal and as expected, it's the constant micro stutter of the reticle that is the problem. 

It's been there on ACOG's and similar scopes since day one, definitely worse on some maps. 

Edited by RipGroove

I'm on Logar right now with a US ACOG and so far no reticle jitter. I get it very bad at Chora with the very same scope. 

Posted (edited)

Here's a video with the exact same scope as the above videos, notice no jitter here, only difference is the map, this is at Logar Valley ASS v.1:

And just for reference, jittery aim, same scope different map:

There is a massive difference between the two, and this jitter really reduces the ability to accurately aim on medium to long range targets with certain scopes. Again it happens more on some scopes and some maps. There is zero issue my end as i only get this issue with certain scopes in Squad.

Edited by RipGroove

On 10/03/2018 at 7:11 AM, Voice said:

Might not understand what you mean, but he zooms like 500% so i think thats why its looks like its moving that much. If its something 3rd just disregard what i said.

No, see the two new videos I've added to my OP, you can clearly see the difference between the two, it has nothing to do with how far I've zoomed in.

Yea its very clear now, when i booted up the game to take a look mine acted more like your 2nd video. Ill try record it if i get to it.

11 minutes ago, Voice said:

Yea its very clear now, when i booted up the game to take a look mine acted more like your 2nd video. Ill try record it if i get to it.

Good, I'm glad it's clear for people to see now :-)

8 hours ago, Peerun said:

Are both of these videos recorded just after spawning in?

No, both were about 15mins in. I get the same issue the whole length of the game. 

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, RipGroove said:

I can't be the only one seeing this?

We see it, but none of us can do anything if we're not a dev :P 

Edit: I just got used to it to be honest, it doesn't affect me enough to care about, I just pretend my guy has some kind of twitching disability 

Edited by Psyrus

Yea same here, pretty sure i had it all of the time and never notice it.

I don't notice it tbh, I could definitely notice it before V10. Are you sure it's not just your framerate on that map?

12 hours ago, Peerun said:

I don't notice it tbh, I could definitely notice it before V10. Are you sure it's not just your framerate on that map?

Yeah, my FPS in usually 80-120+ on that map so it's nothing to do with that.

As for it not really affecting anyone, I take it you don't spend much time time trying to make headshots at 200m+ then? At 200m the enemy is small enough that event hitting them at all with that amount of judder is very hard let alone trying to take them down with a headshot in one hit. There's literally no point having an ACOG if you can't make medium range shots with a degree of accuracy. As the member of the Squad carrying that optic you are often called upon by the SL to make such shots.