eggman

un**** the fob mechanics plz

Posted (edited)

Too many times in A10.1 have I seen FOBs totally overwhelmed but unable to take them out. Game degrades into spawn camp and russian style assault.

20180304232917_1.jpg

Edited by eggman

Meat grinder fobs, who does not love them? 

I would add a mechanic as in PR, 4 enemy's near you fob and you can't spawn there. 

Cracking US fob placement. 10.1

22C2B25E483D6ED4454E3DEA5DD601B591973851

Yea the FOBs are way too OP, from countless of my games perhaps only 20%-30% of the time the FOB actually successfully goes down, the other 70% of the time it's impossible to take out a FOB. I think the devs should tweak not 10 second for every player nearby but 20 seconds. This would allow to take out the FOBs much easier.

would be even better if they could make the fob capable by the enemy so they can use it... now that would make it v interesting.

7 hours ago, Axel said:

Meat grinder fobs, who does not love them? 

I would add a mechanic as in PR, 4 enemy's near you fob and you can't spawn there. 

This please. I'm tired of both being shot while I spawn and mowing down enemies in a HAB. Defend it or lose it. 

1 hour ago, LugNut said:

This please. I'm tired of both being shot while I spawn and mowing down enemies in a HAB. Defend it or lose it. 

This would need a rework of the rally points too. Making them less frequent and more difficult to use.

4 hours ago, LugNut said:

Totally agreed, although if it was easier to take them down I'd hope for slightly reduced ticket cost for losing them. 

18 hours ago, Guan_Yu007 said:

This would need a rework of the rally points too. Making them less frequent and more difficult to use.

I'm all for exactly that. The rally should be a magic way to regroup that you save for when you need it, not an endless conveyor belt of lemmings running back to die. It would make using transports throughout the match an actual strategy instead of just during the initial rush out of main. 

On 3/4/2018 at 11:31 PM, eggman said:

Too many times in A10.1 have I seen FOBs totally overwhelmed but unable to take them out. Game degrades into spawn camp and russian style assault.

20180304232917_1.jpg

Wanted to pull this quote from Merlin, in the recent AMA on Reddit. Meat grinding isn't super fun unless you're making sausage and, well, we're not.

Q: What is your current opinion of the pacing of Squad as is, do you think it needs to be adjusted to be faster? Slower? Good for now? - Karmakut
This is a great question, and also a really tough one. For the answer, rather than focusing on whether Squad is too fast or slow right now, I think a more important situation that would need to be resolved first before tackling pacing is the "meat grinder" situation you see often times where people would much rather die and respawn and keep charging into battle, rather than moving carefully and staying as a group and waiting for a revive. I think improvements to spawning mechanics, FOB rules, and medics will ultimately be the solution to this, where it's easier to keep your Squad together and get people revived. In that sense, I feel that the answer to your original pacing question if I had to guess, is that the firefights themselves once they happen have a great pace, but the macro level of the game is too fast and "charge in" oriented.
We also don't want to go overboard with this. We definitely don't want the game to be a hiking simulator, and we want there to be a good level of firefights despite the fact that people don't charge in, and it's where I think we want to find ways to help keep the Squad together with buffing medic mechanics, and making firefights last longer with some of the weapon and movement changes we have already added, making the distant engagements slightly more survivable and less harsh, and on top of that re-evaluating our game modes for how they could also help with this dynamic.

And:

That said, I feel like we might be disenfranchising some people that we don't want to be with some of secondary effects that A10 has caused (in particular with the pacing and "meat grinder" feeling around spawning in the game), and we'll be working hard to improve that in the future.

So, expect some changes coming to that. We're also looking at some of the more grindy/less fun capture points on other fronts too. The tunnels come up a lot, for example. =)

I believe the problem are not the flags, but the lack of tools for squad leaders to get in those points. Like the breacher kit from PR or heavy weapon support.
Also the Fob mechanic is not great at the moment and favours meatgrinders.

10 hours ago, Gatzby said:

So, expect some changes coming to that. We're also looking at some of the more grindy/less fun capture points on other fronts too. The tunnels come up a lot, for example. =)

Not sure I get the minor obsession with tunnels and underground complexes. Very few games are good at CQB and Squad is not really one of them. Occasionally these are an interesting novelty, but I believe two recently released maps have these kind of structures. The meat grinder dynamic is amplified in these settings, particularly so when combined with incomplete and/or broken FOB mechanics.

5 hours ago, Gaius Marius said:

How about have spawning cost ammunition points?

I definitely think there is something to explore here. Once out of ammo the spawn rate of the FOB could be *extremely* slow (possibly no spawns, but that can introduce potentially undesirable side effects).

The respawn time is supposed to get longer as the hab gets surrounded by enemies, but this is not happening anymore because of a bug that was recently found. Hopefully it'll get fixed soon.

Well, if the FOB/HAB is overrun, there should not be any spawning possible. I get idea that FOB should be some strong point-of-interest on map and its alright, but this whole mindless spawning, because there is no indication clear FOB is overrun, while 5 guys are inside HAB is really not great.

2 hours ago, KaB said:

The respawn time is supposed to get longer as the hab gets surrounded by enemies, but this is not happening anymore because of a bug that was recently found. Hopefully it'll get fixed soon.

lol this never occurred to me since now. It used to get high spawning number as 60-70s if enemies are near. Didn't notice that it wasn't like before. Could we get hotfix soon for this bug since it's very annoying and important to gameplay?

On the other hand, squad did have that meat grinder feel even before v10. This discussion is still important and smashing this bug might not be all it takes.

My 2 cents: we are still stuck with remnants of infantry pace since pre-vehicle days. We have quite a few means of transportation now and maybe it's time to make the cut. Maneuvering is big part of combat, yes. But in squad, since day one, it's all about rushing. My suggestion would be to make infantry movement slower (just regular speed and stamina/sprint leave the same as now), randomized AAS, bigger caps on flags and harsher spawn times on rallies/FOBs.

This is early access game, isn't it? As infantry play is very important issue, better experiment now then when official lunch of the game happens. You are doing great, just need to make some number tweaking. Your game designers are hard at work? Why? Just a friendly reminder: most of your core developers came from PR. Most of your kickstarter supporters came from PR. In PR you have golden formula for great gameplay! Use it/adapt it/improve it! Don't reinvent the wheel, save some time! That gameplay was in development for decade, do you really wanna spend that much time for gameplay development? I think squad have capacity to be where PUBG (or insert any big selling game name here) is right now.

Be brave, be different, make the change. I think it will be win win situation. You will be rich, we will get great game. :) 

Guys, there's a huge difference between a FOB/HAB that is placed inside of a building (Train Station on Fool's Road, Radio Tower/Market on Chora) with fortifications and 2-3 squads defending it from surrounding enemies...

And a FOB/HAB that is placed in the open camped by enemies. 

FORTUNATELY there's no golden rule or ideal FOB placement because there's too many variables in play here. Here's what I do as SL:

- Sometimes I place the FOB/HAB in the same building on a cap point.

- Sometimes I place the FOB/HAB in the same building outside of a cap point.

- Sometimes I place the rally point first -> 20m from there is the FOB -> and then the HAB as far as I can away from the FOB and as close as I can to the cap point. This way there is an alternate spawn (the rally) that effectively closes the gap on the FOB in case the HAB is overrun. 

Use your best judgment! 

There have been comments on Reddit that the lack of "spawn timer increase due to enemies around radio" in V10 and 10.1 is a bug that will be fixed in 10.2
That should get rid of most meatgrinders

why the devs not place the conventional fob (Project reality)?: ??

maxresdefault.jpg