Gopblin

FOB Building guide

Made this guide recently and still updating it, it was well received on Steam forums and Squad Reddit, figured I'd share it here as well. Feel free to comments and share pictures of FOB placement etc

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1309160983

Below is the first part of the guide as copypasta, but I assume everyone can access the Steam page to read it.

=======

Proper way to build a FOB on pub servers ( edit )
A) If possible, hide the radio. The build radius is 150m. Use it. Drop the radio 150m closer to your Main inside some container/garage/bush/gully. This will make it much easier to supply, will make sure it's not taken out when HAB goes down, and makes sure enemies around the HAB don't increase spawn timer on radio. Also, with proper radio placement, you can make it easier to place other radios (i.e. you can hide 2 radios on either side of a large key objective, then place HABs in capzone). Of course, this is not always possible.

B) The #1 thing you need is the HAB of course. Everything else is secondary. It is entirely possible to build 4 HABs with one small insurgent logi, if loading nothing but build points (i.e. it's possible to have a HAB on every point in Basrah PAAS during one logi run, with some creative FOB placement).

On pub servers, the HAB absolutely has to go inside the capture zone. Otherwise, the pubbies will just hang out next to HAB as the flag is being lost. A classic mistake on aforementioned Basrah, for example, is building a HAB inside a tall building next to Outskirts, rather than inside the Outskirts zone itself. This leads to the entire team plinking out the windows and fearing to leave the building because of one M249 overlooking the street between the flag and HAB building, while a couple Americans take the flag.

Try to hide the HAB inside something, to make sure the enemy can't farm it. Remember it's mostly about sightlines, i.e. a deep gully will work almost as well as a building (yeah you can get mortared, but that's still not common in pubs). Make sure the HAB has 2+ good exits, i.e. if placing in a building, make sure the building has more than one exit on different sides. Sandbags MAY be appropriate in this instance to cover egress from the HAB.

C) The other things you build depend on your faction and position. Regular factions depend less on LATs and scouts, so ammo box spam isn't as necessary, and their emplacements are few and only directional. On the other hand, vehicle repair stations may be more important. Keep in mind that emplacements will also give away the rough location of your FOB.

Basically, as insurgents/militia, when fortifying an area: - Spam ammo boxes and DShK guns in places with good lanes of fire (this doesn't mean setting it up in the middle of a street, but rather a shielded DShK behind a window looking down said street). Don't concentrate everything in one place - your goal is to have multiple firing positions in/around the flag, i.e. an ammo box in every good building and an emplacement looking down every street.

As regular factions: - Drop a repair station next to HAB (so vehicles can guard your spawn point), a couple ammo boxes so people can resupply, and MG nests where appropriate.

Sandbags are occasionally handy but keep in mind 2 sandbags cost the same as ammo box and 3 sandbags cost the same as an HMG, while being a LOT less useful. Use sparingly and only in key areas. Also keep in mind that a sandbag-with-firing-ports is better dropped on ground, to fire prone - much harder to spot the shooter, and a more stable firing position (Squad doesn't have weapon resting).

D) While losing 20 tickets for a radio is noticeable, it's not the end of the world. It's absolutely worth deploying a throwaway FOB to take a flag or even kill a couple vehicles (a Stryker is worth more than a FOB). Especially for irregular factions, it's generally better to lose a few tickets than to lose map presence.

PS. 70BA32E88D484E5A9588FF9E590DF433C9E8F6EF

Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever put the radio anywere but near the hab. Or your fob is able to be destroyed by a single man. No attack needed.

1 hour ago, ♠DEG♠ said:

Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever put the radio anywere but near the hab. Or your fob is able to be destroyed by a single man. No attack needed.

I dont agree with you here i think its smart to place fob away from the flag point and the hab at the flag most of the time the enemy finds the hab dig it half way down and the fob is near so its a quick loss but if the radio is a bit far away sometimes the enemy dont want to waist time at finding it

One part isn't getting too hooked on the 20 tickets for a fob. Seen many a time people fight to keep a FOB to loose a bleed flag and beyond.  There is always a lot of positives and negatives for locations for fobs and radios. 

Better to have a fob than nothing, it's having a safety net.  But you raise a lot of good points.

Posted (edited)

Fob/hab together on the cap. Unless it's an attack fob of course. Rally's for back up behind the path of least resistance to the enemy. Rally gives you warning of enemy flanking if it Poof's  all essential assets are still defended. And if hab goes down use rally to counter attack. You can literally put the radio inside the hab if you place it correctly. Never split them up.it will make you defend 2 places at once and or no one will be keeping a eye on it and it will get ninja'd

If that happens to a defend flag that could lose the game for your team.risk losing a game by 1 enemy finding your radio...no thanks

since v10 there is lots of new players and pub games a chaotic. competitive matches you have more flexibility with them since you can count on communication and knowing that all SL's know were they need to be. instead of just make it more convenient for people to be spawning in the right place haha.

other than that i agree with all of it.

Edited by ♠DEG♠

On 3/3/2018 at 3:10 AM, ♠DEG♠ said:

That's only true if you can't hide the radio.
Otherwise the benefits of hiding the radio generally outweigh the costs:
1) Yes the FOB can be destroyed by 1 man but chances of them finding it are miniscule (except for team switchers, but what can you do)
2) Enemies attacking HAB will not increase the spawn timer (it doesn't happen in V10 but apparently this is yet another bug and will be fixed in 10.2)
3) If the FOB is abandoned (flag is no longer in play) enemies can't just come by and dig the radio, so you save 20 tix

4) Placing radio off-flag generally enables you to place other radios in better locations (see Sumari pic in OP, with radios on HAB that would not be possible at all)

Posted (edited)

Sumari is the smallest map in squad (so kinda an exception)  you ethier have a north south radio or a central radio i for one favor the central one.

simply because it forces random pubers to be were they are needed by simple making it the only spawn on a defend flag.

also its hard to hide something that spews load noises out ;) 

agree to disagree

Edited by ♠DEG♠

17 minutes ago, ♠DEG♠ said:

Sumari is the smallest map in squad (so kinda an exception)  you ethier have a north south radio or a central radio i for one favor the central one.

simply because it forces random pubers to be were they are needed by simple making it the only spawn on a defend flag.

also its hard to hide something that spews load noises out ;) 

agree to disagree

If you look at that screenshot you'll see that one HAB is in Palace, just the radio is 150m east )

In fact, that screenshot has two HABs inside defend zones, and two HABs behind offense flags. IMO that is vastly superior to a central radio, because Americans generally win in a straight-up slugfest with their better guns

Also the radio noise has been hugely reduced in V10, now it's barely audible most times and occasionally makes medium noises that are audible maybe 30 ft. I recently had a game where our rally was maybe 50 ft from enemy radio hidden in a bush, and we only found it accidentally after 15 min or so. So if a radio is hidden 100-150m from HAB, the chances of it being found by audio are fairly miniscule

eh...i've placed FOB/HAB far away from eachother and only had the HAB taken out while the FOB itself remained untouched for about 10 min until I got my squad back there and built a new HAB with the remaining of the points. We were able to bring reinforcements to a location the enemy thought they had control of....

I think the separation between FOB/HAB really depends on the quality of competition you're playing against. The moment someone gets into the HAB (or near it - and eventually they will) and doesn't hear a radio, they start looking in all the usual spots. And the moment they suspect that there's more than 1 HAB down (such as the example above with the N/S FOB), they immediately know where to look, because the only way that's possible is with the FOBs placed in predictable spots. It might take them a little time, but 1-2 guys who are dedicated about it, will eventually find it.