Gopblin

Is minecrafting ever effective?

I'd say mortars are fine, they are only a problem for "fishbowl" FOBs as you aptly named them. If you have your FOB fortifications spread out a bit, the most they can do is despawn one location at a time.

Yeah they can shell a HAB in the open, but if 1-2 people are sitting inside and building it back up, it only locks the HAB for a couple minutes until mortars run out of ammo.

Plus it's realistic that artillery makes short work of fortifications, cannons are the reason Minecraft castles died after the Middle Ages :D

In my many hours in the game... I can probably count on 3 hands or so how often it's actually worked... Even if I just look at the hours I have in v9+, it still rarely ever works, and when it does, it's usually because the attacking team didn't take the time to step back and logically think things through and just kept tossing bodies onto the objective.

Now between mortars (and how accurate they are), smoke rounds, the ability to boost/vault over walls that were never options before - especially with a rifleman's sandbag down... the idea that a FOB is completely defendable is - except for a very few select cases, false. And the only thing that changes the equation is the attacking team being stupid and ****ing up. There are a few cases where it can work. Tunnel snaking it on Fools Road, Tower FOBing it on Al-basra or Narva, or camping it out in the meta building on Yeho1. But short of that? It's almost always a waste of time. And even then, odds are that the time spent actually supplying the FOB and the shovel time could almost always be better spent. But the trick is, if you're actually going to do something like that:

- To be ON the objective

- To have a lot of room to move around within your 'area'

- To be safe from mortars (either completely or just partially)

- To have extremely limited entry points to protect

- To have a good field of fire to keep enemies at bay

- To have flat terrain, or to be on a hill - just do not be in the low ground

And even with all of that, and with some time to build... you still need your team to be dedicated enough to sit and wait for the enemy to attack you. We once tossed wave after wave of guys on the meta building in Storage on Yeho1 - never even made a dent. So we collectively pulled back, waited 5 minutes without attacking... and when the other team got board of not engaging (yes they got board), they came out of their FOB and came to us... We killed enough of them to take the flag, and then as they kept attacking, we were able to take the next flag. We never once successfully took their FOB, but we won the round due to their stupidity.

Part of the reason fob castles fail is that you have all your eggs in one basket, so your large, easily seen target is both easy and generally necessary to attack. So, instead of multiple hard points scattered around a map to try to manage the movements of the enemy team, you've set up your spawn inside the cap and said "Silly English, come and get us!". If deployables were decoupled from your spawn points, you could set them up where needed, use them, and leave them. Firing positions covering approaches to your cap, mortar pits, MG's, roadblocks to block or funnel traffic, etc. 

It might be interesting to see what it'd play like if sandbags, hescos, barrels, mortar shelters, barbed wire and unshielded MGs were restricted to 300-400m instead of 150m.

Instead of dropping a radio, drop a shipping crate and like a FOB, you can build whatever you want within that radius, just like a FOB, if you want more build points or ammo, you need to supply it. So, you could throw up some simple defenses, or you could build something more elaborate if you wanted to do logi runs. Make the crate destroyable to eliminate the weapons and the ability to deploy, but leave the static defenses. You'd be able to crush teams that spent too much time and resources on minecrafting, but you'd also be able to change entirely how a map played if you wanted. 

On 3/2/2018 at 2:44 PM, TinyTimm said:

I think "minecrafting" (an apt name) would find a very cozy place in insurgency, or longer-winded AAS matches. As it stands, the pace of the game and the shorter engagement distances makes it rather challenging to FOB-up effectively. If battles moved slower, if heavy weapons could shut down sectors from longer rangers, and if there was more time in a given match to resupply and build up, I'd say one per match would be a given necessity rather than the hindrance people rightly see them as now. 

I love big FOBs. I love lots of toys, direct resupply, and big battles against fortresses. Sadly, Squad's pacing and overall design is currently not a good fit. That's just my experience though.

I'm not advocating for 3 hour matches across the board. Yes, I played A LOT of Project Reality, and loved super long matches, but I'm a working man now, and I don't have time for that every day. I want concise, enjoyable, engaging, and tactical fights just as much as I want in-depth, slow-burning, tense, strategic matches. 

I will say that when we get a map like Fallujah, or if/when Al Basrah gets expanded and becomes an insurgency layer, or if we get amphibious assaults against major powers from aircraft carriers with huge maps to fight over, defense in depth and strong forward bases will become common place.

In essence, I love the cross between speed and strategy we're getting in Squad, I just want more options. Don't get rid of our ~1 hour long matches, just add layers of maps that are longer on top of the selection. If folks don't like long matches, they won't join servers with 'em, and it'll live or die in the court of public opinion.

well put i agree wholeheartedly.

On 3/6/2018 at 12:13 PM, LugNut said:

Instead of dropping a radio, drop a shipping crate and like a FOB, you can build whatever you want within that radius, just like a FOB, if you want more build points or ammo, you need to supply it. So, you could throw up some simple defenses, or you could build something more elaborate if you wanted to do logi runs. Make the crate destroyable to eliminate the weapons and the ability to deploy, but leave the static defenses. You'd be able to crush teams that spent too much time and resources on minecrafting, but you'd also be able to change entirely how a map played if you wanted. 

What difference is from what we already have in a FOB? I think I'm missing something.

On 3/8/2018 at 7:39 PM, Ti0mat said:

What difference is from what we already have in a FOB? I think I'm missing something.

Since there is no respawning mechanism tied to it, or minimum radius from another shipping container, you have the flexibility to build defenses wherever you'd like. They could be around a FOB/HAB, or you could set up mgs or AA on a hilltop to provide long range fire, or a bunch of barricades in an urban area to make it tough to clear, ladders everywhere for insurgent ninjas, or a couple of firing positions to cover an approach into town or a bridge. Because defenses wouldn't be tied to a FOB, seeing a bunch of sandbags would no longer mean "there's a HAB around here somewhere close" like it does now. And, because defenses are tied to the minimum FOB radius, you often can't set up defenses now in the best strategic location. 

2 hours ago, LugNut said:

Since there is no respawning mechanism tied to it, or minimum radius from another shipping container, you have the flexibility to build defenses wherever you'd like. They could be around a FOB/HAB, or you could set up mgs or AA on a hilltop to provide long range fire, or a bunch of barricades in an urban area to make it tough to clear, ladders everywhere for insurgent ninjas, or a couple of firing positions to cover an approach into town or a bridge. Because defenses wouldn't be tied to a FOB, seeing a bunch of sandbags would no longer mean "there's a HAB around here somewhere close" like it does now. And, because defenses are tied to the minimum FOB radius, you often can't set up defenses now in the best strategic location. 

Gotcha! Yeah, that would make for an interesting experience.